The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:25 pm

And yet Cena spent all year closing the PPV's, getting title matches, and now shock horror is main eventing Mania AGAIN at Punk's expense :rolleyes:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:02 am

As i said, it doesnt matter who closes the ppv the wwe title is always the main event to a lot of people. And yes, cena is main eventing wrestlemania, and yes he gets a lot of title shots, but when was the last time he won a title? He hasnt had one since mitb 2011. How long is his longest reign? Pretty far short of 434 days. Yes his character is stale, but how anyone can complain when we've had nearly 2 years of cena without any titles and very few major wins, i just dont understand, some people are just never happy :rolleyes:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Because he is still dominating the story lines, winning or losing, even Randy Orton has taken a back seat out of the spotlight this year
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:40 pm

And he's been headlining Pay Per Views even when not in the title picture and still gets announced after his opponent when he was facing Punk last year, which is supposed to be the champion's privilege. It doesn't matter if Cena doesn't have the title if he's still treated as higher than the champion.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:49 pm

At least I'm not alone in my thinking here

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:08 pm

It really makes no difference who is announced second. Anyone who faces the undertaker is generall announced firast, champion or not. Itas not important to anyone but a few fans who look for problems that arent there. Punk himself has stated he doesnt care if he's on last or not, he goes out to steal the show and as i've said before the wwe title is the main event, always. Nobody bitched when it was austin dominating the storylines and main eventing constantly. You guys are only complaining because you dont like cena, which is fair enough but like it or not he's a bigger draw than punk. They've given us more than a year of punk main eventing and yes he has been main eventing because he was the wwe champion. Cena hasnt had the title since july 2011, i think its been long enough that people now have no right to complain.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:45 pm

Ok in what universe doesn't the last match of the night headline, that's like saying the support band is above the last band, the match that closes is the headline match end of story

TNA comes from Manchester tonight 2100 on Challenge

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:29 pm

The main event always should be the WWE championship match, that's something we all seem to agree on. My point is if another match is going to supplant that then there had better be a good reason for it. Round about 2007-2008 when the World Heavyweight title was as important as the main title it was often the last match, fair enough. The Royal Rumble match being the last match at its event, that's fair enough. In rare circumstances i'd say the same for Survivor Series. You can't compare Austin to Cena in that respect because any time Austin did headline a PPV with a non-title match it was something like being one of the last 2 men in the Rumble, or an Invasion storyline mass tag match, or with his feud with McMahon. I don't think it was right, but that feud had a better argument for supplanting the championship in importance because it was the first time the chairman had been in the ring. Not even something as monumental as Rock vs Hogan was considered more important than the title- but Cena and Rock vs Miz and Truth, Cena vs Kane ambulance match, Cena vs Rock, Cena vs Lesnar, Cena vs Laurinitis and Cena vs Big Show all were? I don't get how you can say 2012 was a year of Punk headlining when 9 out of 12 headline matches involved Cena, only 2 of which were when he was challenging for the title. And the only 3 times he didn't he didn't headline were the Rumble, when he gave his spot to Ryback and when someone further up the golden boy chain (HHH) was involved.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:The main event always should be the WWE championship match, that's something we all seem to agree on. My point is if another match is going to supplant that then there had better be a good reason for it. Round about 2007-2008 when the World Heavyweight title was as important as the main title it was often the last match, fair enough. The Royal Rumble match being the last match at its event, that's fair enough. In rare circumstances i'd say the same for Survivor Series. You can't compare Austin to Cena in that respect because any time Austin did headline a PPV with a non-title match it was something like being one of the last 2 men in the Rumble, or an Invasion storyline mass tag match, or with his feud with McMahon. I don't think it was right, but that feud had a better argument for supplanting the championship in importance because it was the first time the chairman had been in the ring. Not even something as monumental as Rock vs Hogan was considered more important than the title- but Cena and Rock vs Miz and Truth, Cena vs Kane ambulance match, Cena vs Rock, Cena vs Lesnar, Cena vs Laurinitis and Cena vs Big Show all were? I don't get how you can say 2012 was a year of Punk headlining when 9 out of 12 headline matches involved Cena, only 2 of which were when he was challenging for the title. And the only 3 times he didn't he didn't headline were the Rumble, when he gave his spot to Ryback and when someone further up the golden boy chain (HHH) was involved.

Exactly, it's like they gave Punk the belt just to make the title look secondary to Cena's storyline so they didn't have to worry about the title match so much :|

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 am

skybet lets you bet on wwe events, i've got a fiver down on tonights chamber match, £2 on jericho and henry, if either win i make a profit, £1 on swagger, just in case, wont profit but my loss wont be so bad, and got a £10 free bet which i've stuck on orton, dont expect to win but if he wins i get £50 and its a free bet anyway

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am

Mark Henry is about as interesting as Big Show in the ring, slow and boring, why these guys are still on tv is beyond me, the industry has moved on

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 am

i agree, i cant stand either henry or big show, but he could well win so i might as well benefit from it if he does

in all honesty, i hope orton wins. bet aside, he's great. his character is a little stale but they could turn him heel against a face del rio

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 am

Orton's not really a face, his character is able to wrestle anyone, he's as aggressive now as he has ever been, but I agree he's treading water doing nothing but earning his money at the moment, definitely the go to guy to make a good match for poorer wrestlers

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 pm

Seriously how good is Cessaro, one of the best additions in years

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 am

Jack Swagger was arrested yesterday on possession of marijuana and DUI, very silly man, that's his wrestlemania over with