A free-for-all thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Kami
Leather Rebel

Re: A free-for-all thread

Postby Kami » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Got a 30k run tomorrow in Stamford, and I need to find 2-3 hours of music to listen to. Trying to think of some fairly medium paced stuff, but coming up short atm.
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Kami wrote:Got a 30k run tomorrow in Stamford, and I need to find 2-3 hours of music to listen to. Trying to think of some fairly medium paced stuff, but coming up short atm.

Have you seen jog.fm? It takes your cadence and matches songs to the pace. :)
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

flo
Consort of the Beast

Postby flo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 pm

VirginInvader wrote:
Womble wrote:15 years on and Saving Private Ryan is still one of the best films ever made.

One thing I only just noticed in the re-watch is the scene where Caparzo is shot by the German sniper. Even though he has a clear shot on four different guys, he doesn't fire until he's certain the little girl can't possibly hit.

Just a reminder that war is fought by men, not monsters.

I fucking hate that movie. Fucking yankee flag-waving bollocks. I cheer for the krauts every time it's on.

My nan accidentally cheered when watching Pearl Harbor when the Japanese took a pounding... In the cinema. My brother took her to see it, I can only imagine how embarassed he was.
To be fair, when I'm past 70, I'm going to do what the feck I want, because I can.
Leeds Festival: 08, 09, 10, 11
Download: 09, 10, 11, 12
Sonisphere: 09, 10, 11, 14
Bloodstock: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Hammerfest: 12, 13
Beermageddon: 12, 13, 14
Hellfest: 13
Damnation: 10, 11, 12, 13
Wacken: 14

Kami
Leather Rebel

Postby Kami » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:00 pm

Fjar wrote:
Kami wrote:Got a 30k run tomorrow in Stamford, and I need to find 2-3 hours of music to listen to. Trying to think of some fairly medium paced stuff, but coming up short atm.

Have you seen jog.fm? It takes your cadence and matches songs to the pace. :)

Nope, had no idea something like that existed.

Now to find the metalzz
I'm running 1000km (6 Marathons, 26 Half Marathons & 20 10ks) this year so sponsor me ya bastards!

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

If a song/album/band is considered alternative, but is listened to by the majority of people, should it still be classified as alternative?
A video of a "psychic fighter"'s imaginary kicks to the face, not being as good as real kicks to the face
http://www.last.fm/user/Georgebailey96
skull-wart wrote:I shit leather and drink denim.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:14 pm

georgebailey96 wrote:If a song/album/band is considered alternative, but is listened to by the majority of people, should it still be classified as alternative?

Likewise indie music selling through international labels?
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:19 pm

siliconfury wrote:
georgebailey96 wrote:If a song/album/band is considered alternative, but is listened to by the majority of people, should it still be classified as alternative?

Likewise indie music selling through international labels?

Exactly
A video of a "psychic fighter"'s imaginary kicks to the face, not being as good as real kicks to the face
http://www.last.fm/user/Georgebailey96
skull-wart wrote:I shit leather and drink denim.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:26 pm

It's just a musical genre.

It's like putting Watain in the same bracket as Bullet for my Valentine.

They both contain overdriven guitars and live drums, so therefore they're both considered Metal.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 am

During my time at my current job, I've ended up realising that I'd love to work with kids/teenagers specifically around the ages of 12-16. I've been doing volunteer work of sorts by attending some of their art lessons where most of the time I'll end up being a second teacher to these kids. They talk to me and trust me with things they'd never tell their parents or other teachers, and I like to think this is because I seem trustworthy and that they consider me to be someone that might be able to give them advice. The problem is, to work with kids one would obviously need a pretty extensive education, especially since I'd love to do something other than teaching. So I had a thought; when I grew up my parents (despite not having much money at all) took on a boy who had ended up on the wrong path. Long story short, he's always been very grateful that my parents managed to give him a break from his life at the time. I'd love to do something similar, and so I've been looking at this;

http://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/conte ... th-mentors

If anyone knows anything, or has any experiences with how this would work, I'd be really grateful for a reply or pm. This is something I'm only considering so far, and I have no idea what age they expect the mentors to be, but I'd love to do something like this at some point in my life.

TL, DR; Lazyface.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Thank you for the reply :) I'm hoping that if I offer to volunteer they'll take into account that I *want* to help out instead of staring themselves blind at my young age. I'm dreading that if I go in and have a chat with them at some point, they'll laugh in my face and tell me I'll have to hit 30 before I can even consider taking on that much responsibility.

Purple n Batty
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Purple n Batty » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 pm

siliconfury wrote:Something Nicki/purplenbatty might know...

Is it legislation to wear life jackets in UK inland waters? If so, how can people go 'punting' in Cambridge without them?

/bored

Sorry for the delayed response. No, but recommended obviously for children/dogs/cats!

I've never seen anyone wear one punting, the water is really shallow, maybe waist height on me. My sister's been pushed in before when we've been punting :lol:
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm quite happy with it

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:54 pm

The mental image of a cat flailing over a body of shallow water on a stick whilst wearing a buoyancy aid is one greatly amusing me.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm

fluffymoo wrote:Thank you for the reply :) I'm hoping that if I offer to volunteer they'll take into account that I *want* to help out instead of staring themselves blind at my young age. I'm dreading that if I go in and have a chat with them at some point, they'll laugh in my face and tell me I'll have to hit 30 before I can even consider taking on that much responsibility.

My ex housemate and course-mate who is my age is now a teaching assistant :) I don't think age matters, it's best to start asap!
Also my second cousin (who is I think somewhere between 25-28) is a fulltime proper teacher. I think if you want to do that sort of thing though you have to demonstrate that you can take on an authoritative position, it's all good being a friend to the kids, but you've got to be a bit bossy too.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks Hannah! And yeah, I've seen and I know way too many teachers who have too much of a "buddy" type relationship with their pupils. It always ends up in a mess!

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Did Andy Hall start like a million new accounts while I was away or something? It's really hard to keep him on my block list if he's gonna start pulling shit like that :lol:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin