Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Moonburp
Denim Demon

Re: Motorsport Enthusiasts Corner

Postby Moonburp » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:40 pm

I just heard them talking about a 'tactical race'

I thought that the tactics were just "drive really fast, don't crash" :?

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:54 pm

Moonburp wrote:I just heard them talking about a 'tactical race'

I thought that the tactics were just "drive really fast, don't crash" :?

Nope the tyres would just get destroyed if you do that, the longer you make your tyres last, you have to use both types and the soft is around 2 seconds a lap faster than the mediums yet go off after 5 laps, very tactical racing now , when to pit so not to exit in traffic etc
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Dr Sin
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Dr Sin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:01 pm

I personally think it makes the racing more interesting. Do you Go full pelt and do 3 pitstops, or do you ease off alittle and only do 2 pitstops? Races can be won or lost on strategies!

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:35 am

Dr Sin wrote:I personally think it makes the racing more interesting. Do you Go full pelt and do 3 pitstops, or do you ease off a little and only do 2 pitstops? Races can be won or lost on strategies!

This

Also I kind of agree that setting a time should be mandatory, but only if it's in conjunction with the 107% rule, otherwise they'd cruise around super slow to save tyres
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:43 am

Fresher tyres or not, Vettel catching Hamilton in 4 laps from 12 seconds behind to finishing 2 tenths of a second behind was absolutely immense, shame he didn't get the podium.

Good race by alonso, and glad kimi got 2nd :)
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 am

Danroush wrote:Fresher tyres or not, Vettel catching Hamilton in 4 laps from 12 seconds behind to finishing 2 tenths of a second behind was absolutely immense, shame he didn't get the podium.

In the context of this race, yes. However, after his behaviour in the previous GP, then I'm afraid it's tough titties. No sympathy from me, and I suspect Webber's word of the day will be schadenfreude.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:36 am

Darkweasel wrote:
Danroush wrote:Fresher tyres or not, Vettel catching Hamilton in 4 laps from 12 seconds behind to finishing 2 tenths of a second behind was absolutely immense, shame he didn't get the podium.

In the context of this race, yes. However, after his behaviour in the previous GP, then I'm afraid it's tough titties. No sympathy from me, and I suspect Webber's word of the day will be schadenfreude.

I'll concede that one :lol: but do remember Webber ignored the order to stay behind and back up Vettel at the last race of last season, which almost cost Vettel the title. Also team orders at the last race of the season are far more important (as they can decide titles) than ones 2 races in really.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:09 am

I can't stand team orders. I find races are much more interesting when every man is going for it, means there isn't any of this letting people through business. People EARN their wins.

You get things like this(The last lap in particular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcU17zRMBEA

Also, for some reason that reminds me of one of my favourite last laps of all time: http://www.220.ro/auto/MotoGP-Jerez-200 ... lxIKy3y9X/
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Dr Sin

Postby Dr Sin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Smashing race! I have no interest in Hamilton or Vettel, but watching Seb catching was great to watch. My man, Kimi, did well to finish 2nd after his incident with Perez. Bring on Bahrain!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:45 pm

I've never liked Vettel and I was shouting at the telly on that last lap for Lewis, great finish really good race and Jenson drove a blinder, I will say I can't see Perez doing a second season, he's very average, Webber to McLaren in 2014
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Dr Sin

Postby Dr Sin » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Webber to McLaren in 2014

He's been linked with a move to Porsche's new Le Mans program...

Bio-Zombi
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bio-Zombi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:26 am

I thought it was a really good race,even a Ferrari winning didn't spoil my enjoyment.

In terms of Perez i'm going to reserve judgement until Mclaren get the car sorted,if he sill isn't doing the biz then then I agree he probably won't be driving for them next season.

I feel a bit sorry for Webber,I like him a lot and will be suprised if he even sees the season out at this rate...
You should try being dead...

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am

Bio-Zombi wrote:
In terms of Perez i'm going to reserve judgement until Mclaren get the car sorted,if he sill isn't doing the biz then then I agree he probably won't be driving for them next season.

I'd agree if Perez wasn't so far behind Jenson at this stage, I can only see the gap increasing when the upgrades come to Spain, although this may have a lot to do with how Jenson drives, he does seem to be able to manage tyres better than most

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Andy Hall wrote:this may have a lot to do with how Jenson drives, he does seem to be able to manage tyres better than most

Yes, he does. But Perez isn't most. Last year he was the master of tyre management. This year, he's just slow. I think the decision to pick him over Hülkenberg can only have been for sponsorship reasons.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm

I was hoping they'd go for Paul Di Resta, i think given a better car he'd do well, Perez just isn't showing anything :|