The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Katy
Definitely Not Nu

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby Katy » Sun May 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Well, I think mothers/wives are expected to stay at home (whilst their husbands go to football matches.)

But! I have his blessing and now I'm just going to decide if I really want to take our son.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun May 12, 2013 1:29 pm

I find the idea of someone needing permission to go to something weird, the only reason I could see being an issue would be cost, if it isn 't an issue then I see no reason why permission should be needed, obviously you tell him you're going :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun May 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Katy wrote:Well, I think mothers/wives are expected to stay at home (whilst their husbands go to football matches.)

I sometimes feel like people who still think this way must have time travelled from the 1950's.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
Katy wrote:Well, I think mothers/wives are expected to stay at home (whilst their husbands go to football matches.)

I sometimes feel like people who still think this way must have time travelled from the 1950's.

1850s
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Katy
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Katy » Sun May 12, 2013 2:06 pm

I think it's rare that a husband actually forbids a wife to go do something. I think that a lot of wives just stay at home because they have absorbed the idea that this is the thing to do.

I do know that when I go off and do things, people tend to remark upon it and I've seen women look surprised and express envy. More common, however, is a sort of disapproval or someone making a remark about the husband "babysitting." For some reason, people call it "babysitting" when the husband does it but not when the mother does. It's seen as extraordinary, I think.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun May 12, 2013 2:17 pm

Andy Hall wrote:I find the idea of someone needing permission to go to something weird.

Yup, this.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun May 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Tbh I'm surprised it even raises an eyebrow. I would have thought that mothers going out and doing their own thing (or maybe even being the breadwinner in some cases) would be quite common.

I would hope that no one would care about the husband "babysitting" in this day and age.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Sun May 12, 2013 4:37 pm

This morning someone posted a picture of me and the girl darkweasel wants me to get with and someone commented we'd make a lovely couple.

This afternoon I overheard her talking to two other girls about "that bloody photo" whilst all 3 cast glances in my direction.

It sounds about right. 8)
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

In relation to the whole leaving the husband at home and going to a festival thing, whilst I agree she should go, I think it could also just be about the idea of one partner running off to piss about for an extended weekend while the other is stuck at home, regardless of which partner it is. If however the guy that we're talking about runs off himself for stuff like this then fair enough!
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 pm

Im having a bit of an issue with the festival & boyfriend situation myself at the moment.
I'm fairly outgoing and independent when I'm at a festival, i like to wander off by myself and meet new people. Unfortunately it's my boyfriends idea of hell, so much so that if I do these things, he won't enjoy himself.

We're doing Hellfest together this year and I've tried mentioning to him that I might want to do Bloodstock by myself, but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the idea of it. A mixture of jealousy, paranoia perhaps and other things.
I'm not going to stop him from coming to Bloodstock if he wants to, but I haven't been to a gig/festival without him in two years now and this year It might be nice to do it with just mates for once.
I wish there was a simple way to go about this :(

Katy
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Katy » Sun May 12, 2013 11:09 pm

There is a simple way. It just won't be an easy way.

Go without him. Let him deal with it. He either grows a pair and gets over himself, or you can dump his ass. You're not married to him. Hopefully, you don't have children together. Life is too short for jealous partners. Seriously.

Katy
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Katy » Sun May 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Danroush wrote:In relation to the whole leaving the husband at home and going to a festival thing, whilst I agree she should go, I think it could also just be about the idea of one partner running off to piss about for an extended weekend while the other is stuck at home, regardless of which partner it is. If however the guy that we're talking about runs off himself for stuff like this then fair enough!

Alas! He does not run off himself. He likes to sit in front of the Telly all weekend watching reruns of Lovejoy. I alternate between trying to hide in my room, reading, and running around cooking and cleaning and becoming annoyed.

I would love for him to go off and do something on his own. He very rarely does.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun May 12, 2013 11:17 pm

Guys I have a bit of a dilemma here... I feel like I need some advice from people more seasoned in relationships than myself. I seem to be one of those people who can give excellent advice to others but when it comes to myself I come up short.

Long story short is this: I've had feelings for a good friend of mine for quite some time now, and it actually got discussed between us ages ago. I told him how I felt, blah blah, and basically got told that he doesn't want a relationship with anyone due to a painful breakup and isn't ready to even have feelings for anyone atm.

Fast forward a few months and I find myself unable to completely shift these feelings... it seems as if whenever I think to myself "Yeah, I've moved on" there's just a spark, or one of those moments... and it all seems to come flooding back. I genuinely feel like there is something there... So my question, simply, is this: Should I bring it all up again, one more time, just to see if anything has changed or just admit to myself that I am wasting my time and actually go about "putting myself out there" and finding someone.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Sun May 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Katy wrote:There is a simple way. It just won't be an easy way.

Go without him. Let him deal with it. He either grows a pair and gets over himself, or you can dump his ass. You're not married to him. Hopefully, you don't have children together. Life is too short for jealous partners. Seriously.

Thanks for the advice, but it's a little extreme, and not really valuable advice in my situation :P
Just to clarify, he doesn't stop me doing anything i want to do, but asking him to stay at home whilst his girlfriend and friends go to a festival without him will make him understandably jealous. When you have the same friends and share the same interests, it's not so easy to do things without each other, because it usually means one person misses out.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 pm

This idea of being 2 people that make a whole is insane to me, if you can't do things alone, that to me is unhealthy mentally