movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am

Jobdone wrote:Well, that's always been true.

Superman is the most hilarious op thing in the entire fucking world. If he truly lets himself go he can PUNCH WALLS THROUGH THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE.

Batman's just been there being badass, planning how to take him down. That's always been the cool thing. You know Superman should be able to instakill Batman, but there's that thing that "Well maybe if Batman was prepared".

See: The Dark Knight Returns

Doesn't Batman have a file on how to neutralize every member of the Justice League though? Including a Kryptonite Batsuit.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:00 am

Am I the only one that thought the origin story was done well enough? Particularly the flashbacks? Everyone fucking knows Supermans origins, there isn't much of a point in going over his early years for the billionth time. The flashbacks served their purpose well, but like others have said, they didn't add much to emotional depth to the film. I don't think it needed it.

I just wanted to see a strong guy who can fly and shoot lazers out of his eyes kick the living shit out of things, and that is what I got. I don't see why the origin on earth has much importance, but I will say the Krypton stuff was done well enough.

Soze wrote:I watched Wreck It Ralph the other day, another charming and amusing animation film. Kind of like a cross between Toy Story and Tron...I hope it spawns a sequel or two.

I always thought it had a little more in common with The Nightmare Before Christmas than Toy Story. You know, the "bad guy" wanting to be more than what he was always labelled as? Not the most original way to introduce a character, but they made it work I thought. I felt the film itself deserved a little more praise than it got for being so damn endearing, and actually making Sarah Silverman funny.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:30 am

Slayer-ov-orcs wrote:Doesn't Batman have a file on how to neutralize every member of the Justice League though? Including a Kryptonite Batsuit.

Yep.

My favourite thing about batman is that he's paranoid as shit.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:02 am

Delightful-Jim wrote:Am I the only one that thought the origin story was done well enough? Particularly the flashbacks? Everyone fucking knows Supermans origins, there isn't much of a point in going over his early years for the billionth time. The flashbacks served their purpose well, but like others have said, they didn't add much to emotional depth to the film. I don't think it needed it.

I just wanted to see a strong guy who can fly and shoot lazers out of his eyes kick the living shit out of things, and that is what I got. I don't see why the origin on earth has much importance, but I will say the Krypton stuff was done well enough.

Everyone knows Batmans origin story, but Batman Begins added something new to it and fleshed it out, I think that's what people were expecting with Man of Steel.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:33 am

Jobdone wrote:
Slayer-ov-orcs wrote:Doesn't Batman have a file on how to neutralize every member of the Justice League though? Including a Kryptonite Batsuit.

Yep.

My favourite thing about batman is that he's paranoid as shit.

The animted movie Justice League Doom is that story
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

Andy Hall wrote:The thing is , I like Zack Snyder's movies usually, even when the films aren't great, they are normally full of innovation, look at Sucker Punch, it would have been a lot better if the studio had allowed him to make the R rated movie he had planned to do, but the film was really quite stunning and full of ideas and things I had never seen before in a movie, and Watchmen, I still think is fantastic even though people tear it to shreds, that film is an impressive piece of art quite frankly

But Superman seemed devoid of anything new, and my biggest gripe was 1 punch from any of those characters would have killed Batman, this is supposed to be a universe where he joins the Justice League with him :|

Superman has always been ridiculously more powerful than Batman. It does make me wonder how they can put both in the same movie and have them fight the same threat. Realistically anything that threatens Superman could annihilate Batman with a glance.

I'm not normally a Snyder fan. Unlilke you I thought Sucker Punch was utterly appalling, Watchmen was probably as good as it could have been (I maintain Alan Moore was right in saying the book is unfilmable), 300 was dull as fuck...I did quite enjoy his Dawn of the Dead remake although it's obviously a pale shadow of the original.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:53 am

300 dull :|

That film was pure testosterone adrenaline fuelled awesomeness, and the sequel looks even better :lol:

And as I said Sucker Punch sadly had potential to be great but wasn't ,Snyder had plans for a hard R rated film and the studio half way through filming changed their minds, but scenes like the dragon chasing the aeroplane and giant metallic samurai were spectacularly done and as I said something I havn't seen in film before, just a shame the overall film didn't live up to the premise
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:05 pm

300 was just one long, boring fight. Still, if oiled up men wrestling for 2 hours does it for you who am I to say otherwise :P

Sucker Punch did look fantastic. Luke is quite right in saying Snyder does great visuals but poor story telling. Which is why I'm happy to have him attached to a superhero blockbuster as long as someone else is writing the script. I really hope the MoS sequel has someone else writing though, it really needs to be a bit more fun.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Soze wrote:300 was just one long, boring fight. Still, if oiled up men wrestling for 2 hours does it for you who am I to say otherwise :P

I don't agree with that either, what about the scenes with the priests on the hill, the introduction of stuff in the parliaments, the disfigured man who turned on them and changed sides, yes it was action intense, but it wasn't just mindless in my opinion, and there was more to that film than just fighting, although I must admit, it wasn't mentally taxing in any of the film, it was more than a boring fight

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Perhaps I'm being excessively harsh, I haven't seen it since around the time it came out. I just remember watching it feel like I was having my brain hoovered out through my ear hole.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 pm

Soze wrote:Perhaps I'm being excessively harsh, I haven't seen it since around the time it came out. I just remember watching it feel like I was having my brain hoovered out through my ear hole.

Obviously no longer in touch with your inner kid :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 pm

You could argue that Thor has no place in the Avengers universe. He's a god and should be able to kill them all. The Hulk hurting Loki is just daft.
I see the bad moon arising.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Ghost wrote:You could argue that Thor has no place in the Avengers universe. He's a god and should be able to kill them all. The Hulk hurting Loki is just daft.

Loki is immortal, not unbreakable though :P

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:13 pm

I want a "The Sentry" movie. He's meant to be Marvels dig at Superman by being overpowered as fuck.

he has the power of a million exploding suns.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
Ghost wrote:You could argue that Thor has no place in the Avengers universe. He's a god and should be able to kill them all. The Hulk hurting Loki is just daft.

Loki is immortal, not unbreakable though :P

But he's a god and god's can do what they like. Hulk is just a big beast thing. As for Black Widow being about to fight these aliens despite having no super powers then don't get me started :lol:

Anyway all to be taken with a pinch of salt these films.
I see the bad moon arising.