Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby georgebailey96 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:38 pm

You've got me all wrong, the lot of you, apart from moo.

I'm not saying "Oh! They're wearing Hollister. They must be cunts" at all. I'm saying more in the terms of the general, almost stereotypical view of them. You know what I mean, surely? I obviously approached them and started talking, but all of them fit the 'rich kid who looks down on others, goes to parties to celebrate their awesomeness' nobheads.

Also I'm not judging them on the music They are listening to at all. I mean, music for me is an instant common ground to start a conversation around. For example, if someone was there today in a Metallica shirt, I could have started a conversation about a MUTUAL topic. I'm not saying that means ill be friends with the person, just that there is an instant starting point for a chat. They may be ace, they may be cunts, but its a lot easier to find out then just " Hi I'm George"
A video of a "psychic fighter"'s imaginary kicks to the face, not being as good as real kicks to the face
http://www.last.fm/user/Georgebailey96
skull-wart wrote:I shit leather and drink denim.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:07 pm

I get you :)

When i was younger, I was always teased by my family/people at school for liking metal, because they didn't understand it/it wasn't cool or whatever and it made me a bit self conscious about it. I'd never try and talk to people about music or play it because they'd just laugh and put me down, even though I really wanted to.

By the time I got to uni I was a bit shy and only really made friends with people who I knew liked metal because I didn't want to be the odd one out, and I was confident with it.
I kinda regret it though, there were tonnes of opportunities to meet awesome people and metalheads as a whole (making a generalisation here) are pretty boring, cliquey people. You learn a lot more about music and culture by making friends with loads of different folk, it's something I'm trying to do more nowadays.

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Oh yeah!

I totally know not to JUST mix with metalheads...It's just really easy common ground to attempt to talk to someone about.

Especially when 80% of the lads we're all footballers who seemed to know eachother someway. It was a uniting topic for them
A video of a "psychic fighter"'s imaginary kicks to the face, not being as good as real kicks to the face

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Apart from one mate here in Bangor the only friends I have that are into the metal thing are - unsurprisingly - the people I have met through here. I used to actively avoid associating with "metal" people in person because I found them so insufferable, the main reason that hasn't put me off here is because a lot of people are older and more mature i.e JimmyWim or are a complete break from stereotype i.e Moonburp.

Ultimately people are people regardless of how they self-define.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:48 pm

georgebailey96 wrote:Oh yeah!

I totally know not to JUST mix with metalheads...It's just really easy common ground to attempt to talk to someone about.

Especially when 80% of the lads we're all footballers who seemed to know eachother someway. It was a uniting topic for them

I'm the same, I find it easy to approach someone who's obviously into metal as I know it's easier to make conversation etc. And even though you're not meant to judge a book by its cover I definitely automatically judge people wearing those man cleavage tops or girls wearing ...that brand I've forgotten the name of...from head to toe because in my experience they're always super preppy and boring and I'd have no interest in spending time with them.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:56 pm

georgebailey96 wrote:The issue is, Gandalf, that a small percentage of attendees are from the school. I mean, there are some who came from different schools, but there was at least 2 of all of them. It really was uncomfortable. There was no one who appeared to have common talking ground though either. 98% were Hollister wielding, wanna be surfer lookalikes or hipsters, only a few thank god. The only band shirt apart from mine was a Biffy Clyro one. Everyone I ended up speaking to REALLY weren't my type of folk at all...

I went through something similar 3 years ago, there was over 1,000 people in the year yet I was the first to go there from my secondary school in 5 years, whilst everyone else had at least a handful come from their school, just force yourself to do the boring thing and make some small talk to various different guys and girls, then a week or two into term don't bother so much with the ones that turn out to be irritating and/or preppy and/or hipster etc, and unless you're REALLY unlucky you'll be left with a decent handful of people worth talking to :yes:
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 am

Danroush, Annabel, Nantha...thanks very much. Pints shall be bought/lager handed out to all of you

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:35 am

I agree with you too. Ill agree with anyone for a free pint. Not even read anything in the thread. George speaks the truth.

So about those pints?

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:40 am

Andy, when I see you, you're getting a pint anyway :P

Been too helpful not to

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:48 am

I kid, you don't owe me shit.

georgebailey96
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby georgebailey96 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 am

Be that as it may...you've been helpful in the past, hence as a token of appreciation...when I see you, an alcoholic beverage shall be bought for your consumption

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:55 am

Ok mines a pint of something wet and boozy.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:12 am

Woke up with huge hayfever rash on my face again :( and I've got a lovely 17+ hour day at work

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:34 am

£1 hayfever tablets are fucking rubbish
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:18 am

I taught George the important lesson of learning to laugh at yourself.

So pint yeah?

Yeah?

Sound.