movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:32 am

Anyone watched Stoker yet? Grabbed it last night, looking forward to seeing another Chan wook Park film :D

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:21 am

Ensorcelled wrote:Anyone watched Stoker yet? Grabbed it last night, looking forward to seeing another Chan wook Park film :D

My favourite film of the year, I don't think it will have the same effect as it did in the cinema, the use of sound really was key to how unsettling it was

And amazing film
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:59 am

I liked Man of Steel. Not sure why people don't. It was a good summer action blockbuster. I think it got the combination of live action and cgi right for a change. Probably just needs to lose the last fight and cut the running time by 20 minutes.
I see the bad moon arising.

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:04 am

Watched Olympus Has Fallen last night. Typical AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! action movie. If I wasn't drinking while I was watching it I'd probably of gotten bored :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:16 am

Just brought my Frightfest tickets. :D
I see the bad moon arising.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:47 am

Andy Hall wrote: Leonardo DiCaprio, the teen actor who did all the soppy roles, now seen totally differently and for me 1 of my favourite actors due to his flexibilty to play any character

This is probably one of my favourites.

It was up until a couple of years ago that I hadn't watched any new DiCaprio movies cos he was still Titanic guy to me.

And then I watched Gangs of New York and The Departed and Shutter Island and Inception and Django.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:27 pm

JrHunter wrote:Watched Olympus Has Fallen last night. Typical AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! action movie. If I wasn't drinking while I was watching it I'd probably of gotten bored :lol:

I loved that film :lol:

Gerrard Butler should do more action films
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
JrHunter wrote:Watched Olympus Has Fallen last night. Typical AMERICA! FUCK YEAH! action movie. If I wasn't drinking while I was watching it I'd probably of gotten bored :lol:

I loved that film :lol:

Gerrard Butler should do more action films

I loved him in Gamer. In fact, I actually loved that whole movie. It wasn't exactly brilliant but that was it's charm! :P

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Gamer is different, and quite clever and a really good action movie

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:43 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Gamer is different, and quite clever and a really good action movie

It's awesome. Not exactly a box office smash, but it was a clever premise and pretty well executed.

I've just finished watching LOTR: The Two Towers, it's just as epic as I remember it being. :lol:

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Well I just sold The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey on Playtrade for £10 as they announced the extended cut will be released the same time as the next film, so i'm selling now to get the best price I can for it

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:15 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Well I just sold The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey on Playtrade for £10 as they announced the extended cut will be released the same time as the next film, so i'm selling now to get the best price I can for it

Extended cut?

Fuck.
That.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:49 pm

kaosweaver20 wrote:
Soze wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:I like a comic book move that doesn't take itself too seriously. Now, I'm not saying it should be ridiculous, but it needs to accept that it's dealing with a farfetched subject matter and embrace that. :P

That's why I liked Thor. It had comedy moments alongside serious moments, like a proper Hollywood blockbuster used to have back in the day.

Avengers did this in spades for me, it got everything pitch perfect. Man of Steel was too po faced, the Marvel films get things just right. Whilst it's important to have moments of light hearted humour and realise you're making a comic book movie you also have to be careful not to cross the line into self parody or just plain annoying goofiness.

For me Avengers is by far the best comic book movie ever made. I'd put Iron Man, Spiderman 2, X-Men 2 and The Dark Knight Rises next. Batman is one of those characters that does work well when the humour is played down. The worst I've seen are Ghost Rider, Green Lantern and the appallingly bad Green Hornet. Something about the letter G it seems!

You liked The Dark Knight Rises? It wasn't awful, and Christopher Nolan and Batman is always a good combination, but I just think it almost drowned in its own message. :|

I meant to say The Dark Knight Returns actually. I liked Rises but it was riddled with plot holes.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:Well I just sold The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey on Playtrade for £10 as they announced the extended cut will be released the same time as the next film, so i'm selling now to get the best price I can for it

Extended cut?

Fuck.
That.

There's an extra 20 minutes of Bilbo looking for a handkerchief.

SOLD!
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:43 pm

Bisset wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:

Extended cut?

Fuck.
That.

There's an extra 20 minutes of Bilbo looking for a handkerchief.

SOLD!

From what's been said, it'll be more about Hobbiton and features characters in the next film and something about arrows that can hurt the dragon. So I'm getting it and I'll prob give the other one to my parents.