movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:20 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:Stoker was more than ok, it was mint.

What was predictable about it? There's not an awful lot of the film that's plot driven, and a lot isn't revealed. The only thing you could really predict would be what happened to her father (I say it vaguely to avoid spoilers).

Not seen Stoker but just watched the trailer and it looks to be nothing more than yet another of those my-stepdad's-a-mental-but-nobody-believes-me-because-I'm-a-bit-mental-too types of film.

Go on. Sell me.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Not seen Stoker but just watched the trailer and it looks to be nothing more than yet another of those my-stepdad's-a-mental-but-nobody-believes-me-because-I'm-a-bit-mental-too types of film.

Ehhh, it doesn't really go down that route. More the 'my-stepdad's-a-mentalist-but-that's-okay-because-he-makes-my-ladyparts-tingle' kinda road.

But come on now, as soon as the Auntie turned up you knew how the end was gonna pan out. :lol:

Certainly isn't Oldboy. Which reminds me, I've got 'I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay' to watch next. (Y)

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:44 pm

Darkweasel wrote:

What was predictable about it? There's not an awful lot of the film that's plot driven, and a lot isn't revealed. The only thing you could really predict would be what happened to her father (I say it vaguely to avoid spoilers).

Not seen Stoker but just watched the trailer and it looks to be nothing more than yet another of those my-stepdad's-a-mental-but-nobody-believes-me-because-I'm-a-bit-mental-too types of film.

Go on. Sell me.

Kind of is, except it's her uncle rather than step dad. But their existence is far too isolated, there's no real 'no one believes me' as she doesn't need to tell anyone. People have suggested a sort of coming of age through violence element to it, there's lots of symbolism in it (Birds, Spiders, Shoes etc), there's amazing sound design. A really interesting dynamic between the main character and her uncle, and weird sexual undertones, with her getting off at violence, but also sound (she has hyper sensitive hearing) in a scene that is, when you think about it either incest, rape or both. It's nicely paced, some nice editing, making you question the timeline and what's real and what isn't. And I feel a lot of it has the suspense of a horror film without any of the big scare at the end of the tension. But I like that about it, there's a feeling of unease, but you never really resolve it. And when it finished I didn't feel like I'd been spoon fed everything, certain things, certainly symbolic things, are very much open to interpretation. Me and my mate Andy talked about it for a good hour or so after, and Andy Hall and I exchanged a few messages talking about various things about it. He mentioned it being like a Vampire film without vampires, which is another interesting theory. Especially when you factor in it being called Stoker, nod to Bram Stoker perhaps? Either way, it's certainly worth watching to draw your own conclusions.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 pm

Applecore wrote:Shit, may need to look up Puss in Boots, then.
Also, you mentioned Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. Loved that film so much. Really excited for the sequel!

It seemed a bit 'special' to me, from the trailers. But I guess I can't really comment as I haven't seen it. Does the concept actually work? :|

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Cowbacca
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cowbacca » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Not seen Stoker but just watched the trailer and it looks to be nothing more than yet another of those my-stepdad's-a-mental-but-nobody-believes-me-because-I'm-a-bit-mental-too types of film.

Ehhh, it doesn't really go down that route. More the 'my-stepdad's-a-mentalist-but-that's-okay-because-he-makes-my-ladyparts-tingle' kinda road.

But come on now, as soon as the Auntie turned up you knew how the end was gonna pan out. :lol:

Certainly isn't Oldboy. Which reminds me, I've got 'I'm a Cyborg, but That's Okay' to watch next. (Y)

I didn't fine Oldboy unpredictable in the slightest, but then it was extremely similar to a certain work of Greek tragedy.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:17 am

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:

Go on. Sell me.

Kind of is, except it's her uncle rather than step dad. But their existence is far too isolated, there's no real 'no one believes me' as she doesn't need to tell anyone. People have suggested a sort of coming of age through violence element to it, there's lots of symbolism in it (Birds, Spiders, Shoes etc), there's amazing sound design. A really interesting dynamic between the main character and her uncle, and weird sexual undertones, with her getting off at violence, but also sound (she has hyper sensitive hearing) in a scene that is, when you think about it either incest, rape or both. It's nicely paced, some nice editing, making you question the timeline and what's real and what isn't. And I feel a lot of it has the suspense of a horror film without any of the big scare at the end of the tension. But I like that about it, there's a feeling of unease, but you never really resolve it. And when it finished I didn't feel like I'd been spoon fed everything, certain things, certainly symbolic things, are very much open to interpretation. Me and my mate Andy talked about it for a good hour or so after, and Andy Hall and I exchanged a few messages talking about various things about it. He mentioned it being like a Vampire film without vampires, which is another interesting theory. Especially when you factor in it being called Stoker, nod to Bram Stoker perhaps? Either way, it's certainly worth watching to draw your own conclusions.

Yeah my thoughts were around the use of blood being genetics and family rather than the actual substance, I certainly didn't find it predictable, or like anything I have seen, the use of sound was amazing and I did feel uncomfortable in the cinema watching it, it has a real vibe to it, not being a horror fan maybe it affected me more ?

But yeah my favourite film so far this year
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:10 pm

Percy Jackson and The Sea Of Monsters

1st film wasn't sure what age group it was going for, this looks very Harry Potter before they got dark, hmmm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJa8W-gHvsM
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Movie night with my best mate tonight, it's the usual standard Saturday night! :D The Fly, the Fly 2 and then as many Hellraiser movies as we can manage before sleep takes us.

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:05 pm

That much gore and yuck, i'd be in hell :lol:

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:55 pm

This Is The End: Not particularly funny, but very enjoyable. I wish it used more sets as it was very restricted, and so didn't grasp the full extent of the apocalypse which I would have enjoyed. 6.5/10
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:03 am

Andy Hall wrote:That much gore and yuck, i'd be in hell :lol:

There's nothing quite like the practical gore effects of David Cronenberg's movies. Honestly, in The Fly, it's second to none. There's nothing as awesome as watching Jeff Goldblum's genetically mutated face split open to reveal that of a hideous man-fly hybrid. Sickening but fascinating. :P

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 am

I'll stick with my action and adventure films I think :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:16 am

MONSTERS UNIVERSITY

After a twelve year gap, Mike Wazowski (Billy Crystal) and James P "Sulley" Sullivan (John Goodman) return in a prequel to Pixar's 2001 hit, Monsters Inc.

Focussing on how the pair meet as they attempt to to enter the Scare Program (a way to become Scarers at Monsters Inc.), it pits them against University Dean Hardscrabble (Helen Mirren) who clearly wants neither of them, nor their completely unscary Oozma Kappa fraternity, to qualify.
There are some great new characters voiced by the likes of Nathan Fillion, Tyler Labine, and Alfred Molina, as well as catching up with a couple from the original. In fact, Steve Buscemi's Randall Boggs pretty much steals the show every time he appears on screen.

Although obviously lacking the originality of Monsters Inc., the prequel retains its charm and isn't short on laughs. It may not be quite as funny as the original (most of the comedy doesn't really start until the Scare Games) but it's always engaging and never dull.

So overall, a big thumbs up, even though it does drop a clanger by somehow managing to completely forget the line from the original where Mike says to Sulley, "You've been jealous of my looks since the 4th Grade".
Note to Pixar: Do your homework.

8/10
Last edited by Darkweasel on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:19 am

Monsters University - I'd go 7/10. Only one scene made me really laugh, but chuckled through the rest of the film. Good, but could have done better.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am

Andy Hall wrote:I'll stick with my action and adventure films I think :lol:

The Fly is so much more than a horror film, probably closer to s/f tbh. It's a masterpiece, actually quite a moving affair. I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made.