movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah we saw Wolverine in 2D last night. I later read it was shot in 2D then converted - saved ourselves a few quid then :lol:
You've got a point there about R-rated superhero movies not being as successful, but Deadpool's always been kind of a cult character. I'd be really surprised if it got a multi-million dollar budget, but still really want it to happen.
In the meantime, the game is pretty great and there's this fan film to tide us over :D
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:43 pm

Yeah a lot of directors now are moving away from 3d, the studios are then paying from conversion, but I don't think the 3d films are making anywhere near what they used to in comparison to their 2d versions, the wheels are falling off the wagon so to speak
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:19 pm

As many expected - it's a gimmick, and the novelty soon wears off.
I'll be laughing at those who flocked to get a 3D TV when they came out, because once companies realise how stupidly expensive 3D is to do and pack it in, they'll have paid out for nothing :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Well 3d is pretty much the standard on a decent large screen tv, as is smart so soon you'll be hard pressed to find a tv without it.
Still think avatar in 3d is great.
I see the bad moon arising.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:43 pm

Fair. I'm just not that arsed by it.
Same goes for Avatar, actually :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Applecore wrote:Fair. I'm just not that arsed by it.

Me neither, I just have it because I wanted a 50 inch Samsung and I found one just a cheap with it than without. I don't buy 3d movies. I rent them occasionally, like Bait is being sent to me now.

I've started choosing 2d at the cinema because you have to pay extra even when you have a cineworld pass. Also they haven't sorted out the weird effect where you can see through people and solid objects on the screen.
I see the bad moon arising.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:22 pm

I agree with Craig. Deadpool has to be r-rated to work. 15 could work but he wouldn't be able to do stupid shit like in the books. Plus, for me to get maximum fulfillment, it would have to have Hydra Bob in it. Very much a buddy cop movie but with all sorts of wrong doing.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:07 pm

15 could be a good compromise though. Like Kick-Ass was as hard-hitting, sweary and violent as the comic. You can get away with a lot more in a 15 now than you could years ago.
Plus, if memory serves, PG-13 is essentially 12A/weak 15, and R is more of a 15/weak 18. NC-17 is more like our 18, and big studios (as in WB, Sony, etc) rarely make those movies.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Also while we're on the topic of comic book movies that haven't happened yet that really should.

The Boys.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:29 pm

Definitely. A fantastic comic book series but studios don't have a good track record of converting Garth Ennis's work. Casper Van Diem should be The Homelander though.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 pm

God yes. Also obviously Simon Pegg is Wee Hughie.
I reckon Clive Owen or Ray Stevenson as Butcher..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:40 pm

Ray could pull off the cokney side more but Clive would be better at switching between psycho and nice guy.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:58 pm

I tend to read him with Clive's accent from Shoot 'em Up :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:02 pm

If it did ever go to film, I'm curious how they'd play off Mothers Milk story without it being completely ruined or playing off as a bad joke.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:11 pm

For A Good Time, Call...
Two women move in together and start up a phone sex business. Crude without ever being vulgar, occasionally very funny, and when you cut through the blowjob and masturbation jokes, basically just a nice little story about friendship.
Seth Rogen and Kevin Smith steal the show with their brilliantly disgusting cameos.
6/10

Oblivion
After the Earth is almost destroyed by aliens, Tom Cruise and some English girl are enlisted to keep the planet clear of scavengers.
Of course, things aren't what they seem and before you know it we're in the middle of almost every single 1970s sci-fi film ever made.
Not a bad film but every plot twist is telegraphed and obvious, it leans on far too many other films, and there are more than a few inconsistencies along the way.
The effects are quite brilliant, but overall I'd suggest watching Moon instead.
6/10

The Conjuring
Haunted houses, possessions, exorcisms, parapsychologists, ghosts, spooky dolls and dodgy 1970s fashion. The Conjuring is probably better than most of the recent glut of demonic possession type films, but still nothing to write home about. The first half is infinitely more interesting than the shouty, screamy, and occasionally stupid second half. True story or not, there's simply not enough to make it truly stand out.
Absolutely f**king miles better than all of the Paranormal Activity films though. And Dark Skies.
6/10