What pissed you off today

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm with Tet there. I don't understand how these people can switch between gibberish on the Internet and proper English in school or work. Or maybe they don't bother.

It amused me when I read one Myspace profile this evening, whose owner stated he likes to "wright".
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:06 am

I agree to a certain extent. As in people who talk in text speak or just have REALLY bad spelling.

But I have to point out, I dunno about others here, but when I'm writing on forums and msn etc. a lot of the time I write what I want to say as though I was saying it outloud in a conversation. Probably cos its informal, not like writing a letter to someone (see I'm doing it now, not writing out 'because', because, well I NEVER say because, and it sounds too formal here). So automatically, my grammar and often spelling is worse, and punctuation lacking. But as long as its easy to read for all then thats what matters. And if anyone gets at my grammar, when its just the way I speak, i.e. my dialect, then you will get an earful!! (seriously, I'm a language geek, I have studied english grammar..surprisingly.. it doesnt make you speak any better, unless you wanna confuse yourself).

but its sad that in schools today kids actually write assignments in text speak
:|

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:37 am

Lick Mars wrote:But as long as its easy to read for all then thats what matters.

The problem is that it's often not easy to read, at least for me.

A teacher friend of mine was telling me that she's allowed to correct them when they do it, but she's not allowed to mark them down for it (because the subject she's teaching them isn't English, apparently). I'm at a loss to understand that type of lunacy.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:51 am

Tet wrote:

A teacher friend of mine was telling me that she's allowed to correct them when they do it, but she's not allowed to mark them down for it (because the subject she's teaching them isn't English, apparently). I'm at a loss to understand that type of lunacy.

That's madness, I hope they get marked down in English then. My old English teacher used to complain about lower school kids doing it all the time. But he was more of a hardarse on marking I think. He used to also say how he always corrected the same grammar mistake that everyone assumed was standard but isn't, I can't remember exactly what it was now, think it was 'I was stood at the bus stop'. He concluded it was a yorkshire thing since he wasn't from there :lol:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:52 am

Felt fine before I went to bed last night, but as soon as I got in I got that fluey headache and throat that prevents you sleeping. To add to my annoyance (I've just moved into a different room in the house) my housemate, who lives in the room below mine, had her boyfriend round and he has a really bassy voice which I never noticed before, and they seemed to be up ALL night talking. Obviously all I could hear was a deep rumbling and didn't get much sleep :x Then they got up at 5:45 (to leave for work at 7:45) and started cooking and talking really loud :(
Now I'm sat at work, and I feel shit. I'm gonna be on my own most of the day, so all the annoying little kids who come to the door, I'm gonna have to deal with :x
I gotta drive to notts after work for Buckcherry too :(

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 am

One girl actually got + marks for writing an english essay in text speak.

Now as much as I hate txt spk, English used to look like this;

Hwæt! We Gardena in geardagum,
þeodcyninga, þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,

monegum mægþum, meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas. Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden, he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum, weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc þara ymbsittendra

ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan. þæt wæs god cyning!
ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned,
geong in geardum, þone god sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat

And it's only different now because it got changed and people didn't 'correct' it over time :lol: Shakespeare was written in near-unrecognisable English, at a time when there was no standardisation for spelling. He even spelt his name several different ways in the same manuscripts. I'm sure people wouldn't mark him down for it.

I don't like txt spk, but if it ends up the norm, it won't be any different to what has gone before.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:51 am

Text speak is OK for messaging when you have to be concise. If you have the time and space to construct a proper sentence then using textspeak is lazy and possibly rude.

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:51 am

I remember doing "The Canterbury Tales" for A level english lit about twenty years ago.We had to read it in the original old english.Pain in the arse TBH,but it was still easier to read than some of the text messages I get,not only is it the abbreviations (m8 really winds me up) it's the complete lack of punctuation,often it's like reading some stream of conciousness paragraph that you have to put the full stops and comma's in yourself.
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:33 pm

another local example....

Si senior, der dago
forte lorez inaro
demarnt lorez, demar trux
fulluv cowzen henzen dux

Translation

Si Senior, there they go
forty lorries in a row
those are not lorries, those are trucks
full of cows and hens and ducks.
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

TKOChaos
Powermetal Child

Postby TKOChaos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Dennis Wise signing more loan players for the retirement castle that is Elland Road... we're screwed. :x

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:10 pm

OMGROFLPOPPASAURUS REX!!!111!!!11!!ONEELEVNTYONE!!1`
wtf u mn dat il3ik teh sl1pkN07?
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:36 pm

I must admit I've been guilty of tpos sn the odd bit of grammer. I try my best tough being dyslexic dousn't help. One thing thst pisses me off about net speak is the like of "I've PWNED you" or your ownd". What the hell does that mean!!!!!
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:57 pm

Xzar wrote:I don't like txt spk, but if it ends up the norm, it won't be any different to what has gone before.

Actually, I don't agree. Yes, language changes[1]. But none of the historical changes have reduced the expressiveness or clarity of the language. The changes that seem to be underway a the moment do both.

[1] No, I don't believe it to be necessary or desirable any more, but I know that puts me at odds with most language scholars.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:39 pm

I'm just pissed off in general. Since yesterday anyway. Just had little patience with people so have had to constantly bite my tongue to stop me unnecessarily offending anybody, because when I'm moody and I snap at someone, I really DO snap, like my accent suddenly comes out stronger and I scare everyone (well the southerners anyway) by sounding overly threatening and so unlike the errrmm sweet thing I usually am. :| Stupid fucked up hormones. Anyway, it wouldnt be so bad but my friends been purposely winding me up because she finds it funny when I get all agro, only, I don't, cos I don't like being a dick to my mates and having to apologise later. So trying not to have a random outburst at someone over nothing, whilst having someone purposly provoke you, as you can guess is REAALLY annoying. But then later on she was being a bit funny with me and saying some stuff, and now I'm thinking shes now pissed off at me for the way I'm acting despite the fact she was winding me up and knew I wasn't in the mood. which if thats true just pisses me off again cos this was the situation I set out the avoid... :? ffs..

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:58 am

Davros wrote:I must admit I've been guilty of tpos sn the odd bit of grammer. I try my best tough being dyslexic dousn't help. One thing thst pisses me off about net speak is the like of "I've PWNED you" or your ownd". What the hell does that mean!!!!!

I've read two explanations. The Wikipedia one, which I looked up just now to see if it matches the other one, is: "the origin of the word comes from the PC game Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, where a programming error results in the message 'You have been pwned.' When the player gets defeated by a CPU controlled opponent, the correct message should have been 'You have been owned.' "

The other explanation I've heard, which seems to simultaneously make both more and less sense, is that it started as a typo of "pawned", as in chess.

*shrug*

Oh, and for the record, I agree with Tet that txt spk isn't evolution through error so much as destruction. Txt spk is only semi-intelligible, and that surely can't be an evolution.
Oh, hi. I'm not Hollywood Steve. You caught me typing a new signature. This is the story of Kenny Loggins writing 'Footloose'.