movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: movies

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 am

Darkweasel wrote:
Ghost wrote:Off to Frightfest on Saturday. 14 hours in a cinema........mental. God knows how the people that go for the whole five days do it, their arses must start morphing into the seat.

You doing just the one day?

Big Bad Wolves is on the Monday and it's utterly fantastic.

Yeah just doing the Saturday which actually looks like the worst day. I mean they're showing RIPD...wtf! It looks rubbish and I could easily watch that on any cinema in the country. I booked Saturday thinking they were moving the Arsenal Fulham game to Sunday and I wanted to go to that. But that's on Saturday now...oh well.

I'm planning on watching:

The Hypnotist
Frankenstein's Army
Hammer of the gods
No one Lives
Demon Rook.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm doing the whole thing, been going for the last few years, it's always awesome.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:37 pm

bloodfiend wrote:I'm doing the whole thing, been going for the last few years, it's always awesome.

My first time. Used to go to the Gorezone one instead. Are the queues for the discovery film tickets usually long?

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:16 pm

Ghost wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:I'm doing the whole thing, been going for the last few years, it's always awesome.

My first time. Used to go to the Gorezone one instead. Are the queues for the discovery film tickets usually long?

Been going since 2007, saw the line up a Gorezone weekender years ago, but they were playing shit like Gutterballs, so I didn't bother!

Depends on the film for the discovery screen, if it's a good one people start queueing early and it's sometimes hard to get tickets...there's a pretty good line up on the discovery screen this year, so I'd recommend getting there early if you wanna see something.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 am

I had to babysit for some friends tonight, but after putting their very awesome kid to bed, I delved into their highly illegal DVD collection. I think it's literally all pirated. :lol: I watched myself a bit of 300, and woke up their daughter, who ended up sitting on the sofa watching about 5 minutes of it with me. Start 'em young. :P

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:16 am

ODD THOMAS

Based on a book by Dean Koontz, Odd Thomas (Chekov in the new Star Trek films) is a psychic who can see the dead, some of whom use him to track down their killers. Police Chief Willem Dafoe is aware of Odd's hidden talent but lets him do his psychic detective thing because he always seems to get results.

However, the dark side of his ability is seeing shadowy creatures, invisible to normal folk, called Bodachs that come from the other side whenever there are signs of impending carnage and death.
Not even the brutal murder of a teenage girl is enough to bring one Bodach over to this side, but when Odd notices about ten of them lurking around just one man, he knows something horrific is about to happen in his small town and with the help of his girlfriend, sets out to try and stop it.

I'd never even heard of the Odd Thomas books before a couple of weeks ago. I'd added them to my mental "To Read" list and promptly forgotten all about them. I didn't even know there was a film based on them until last night.

Quite light and breezy in tone for the most part, it plays sort of like Shia Lebeouf teen vehicle Disturbia until about two thirds of the way through when things take a few turns for the serious.
A massively enjoyable film which took me completely by surprise. If you liked The Frighteners and/or The Sixth Sense then go find this one out.

9/10

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:12 am

Darkweasel wrote:ODD THOMAS

9/10

Seeing it soon, so I purposely didn't read your review.

I'm halfway through reading the book at the moment as well, which I can throughly recommend; it's got the usual Dean Koontz flaw that he can't write a single sentence without thrusting in endless flowery metaphors and similies to the point where it's hard to follow the actual story, but apart from that it's brilliant, indie fantasy kinda stuff with great characters, so much better than his trashy horror shit.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Been going since 2007, saw the line up a Gorezone weekender years ago, but they were playing shit like Gutterballs, so I didn't bother!

Depends on the film for the discovery screen, if it's a good one people start queueing early and it's sometimes hard to get tickets...there's a pretty good line up on the discovery screen this year, so I'd recommend getting there early if you wanna see something.

Yeah I just went to Gorezone because it was loads cheaper and a smaller cinema, obviously the crap films is why ha ha.

One last question. Do you have to queue for ages to pick up your pass in the morning?

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 am

Watched Elysium yesterday, brilliant film

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:46 am

mikeftw wrote:Watched Elysium yesterday, brilliant film

I'll probably watch it on Monday. I'm taking my mum, I last took her to see that recent Tom Cruise Sci-fi film which she found abit hard to follow. So hope she understands this film. :lol:

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:32 am

Story is pretty easy to follow, might not appreciate the gore though, pretty full on for a 15

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:05 pm

bloodfiend wrote:I'm halfway through reading the book at the moment as well

I bought a copy today.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Ghost wrote:
One last question. Do you have to queue for ages to pick up your pass in the morning?

Dunno, I've got a weekend pass, which I've had since the end of June when I bought it. If you've got a day pass and you're picking it up then I wouldn't imagine you'd have to queue for long.

Not a movie, but watching Stressed Eric atm, forgotten how awesomely warped this cartoon is!

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:03 pm

America has done it again
Remake of Oldboy is coming out
Starring Samuel L

Why?!?!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:39 pm