movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Re: movies

Postby kaosweaver20 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Applecore wrote:I've heard from fellow horror fans (some of them very reliable sources) that it's great. Will confirm/deny this later.

I'm not a huge fan of the horror genre, but I'm a big fan of 'good movies' in general. If it does something to push the boundaries or offer something fresh then I think it'll be a worthwhile watch. ;)

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:48 am

Frankenweenie
Not perfect but easily the best thing Tim Burton has directed since Sleepy Hollow
8/10

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Other than Edward Scissorhands, I find it hard to name one movie that I think is actually above average. Tim Burton has a distinct style but it's just that I don't rate him as, you know, a director. :lol:

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:V/H/S 2

Saw it at cinema a few weeks ago, but just watched it again now - absolutely killer, wipes the floor with the original.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with either.

Blackfish

Documentary about Tilikum, the Killer Whale with a history of attacking and killing its trainers, and how it appears his attacks have been covered up by his owners due to his worth as a breeding male.
Interviews with former SeaWorld employees and footage from actual incidents show that keeping these animals in captivity, although all very nice for the general public to applaud and cheer, is inherently dangerous and occasionally fatal.
The film backs up its stories and accusations with facts and film footage, as well as expert opinion, but never becomes overtly preachy until the very end - by which point I found myself agreeing with them anyway.

It's actually very one-sided but that's hardly the makers fault seeing as SeaWorld repeatedly declined to take part. They also apparently tried to have their name removed from the film (which, considering how many times it was used would have pretty much rendered the film unwatchable) due to them being seen in such a bad light. Altering facts about deaths, deliberately releasing misinformation, hiding some facts entirely, and even going so far as to blame a trainer herself for her death.

A real eye-opener and easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

9/10

Watched it yesterday-really good-although it seemed to be more a crusade against Seaworld than a doc.about the mental/physical health of the whales themselves.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm

kaosweaver20 wrote:Other than Edward Scissorhands, I find it hard to name one movie that I think is actually above average. Tim Burton has a distinct style but it's just that I don't rate him as, you know, a director. :lol:

Ed Wood
Mars Attacks
Beetlejuice
Batman Returns
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Edward Scissorhands
Sleepy Hollow

All fantastic.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 pm

mathewxentrix88 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Blackfish
9/10

Watched it yesterday-really good-although it seemed to be more a crusade against Seaworld than a doc.about the mental/physical health of the whales themselves.

Like I said, it was very one sided, but what can you do when one side doesn't even bother to try and defend themselves?
And personally, I thought they spent quite a lot of time talking about the mental state of the captive whales. One of the first things they did was trace Tilikum's behaviour back to his mistreatment at SeaLand.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
kaosweaver20 wrote:Other than Edward Scissorhands, I find it hard to name one movie that I think is actually above average. Tim Burton has a distinct style but it's just that I don't rate him as, you know, a director. :lol:

Ed Wood
Mars Attacks
Beetlejuice
Batman Returns
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Edward Scissorhands
Sleepy Hollow

All fantastic.

Honestly? None of those were that enjoyable for me. Mars Attacks maybe, but only due to how deliberately hilarious it was. :lol:

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:54 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
mathewxentrix88 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Blackfish
9/10

Like I said, it was very one sided, but what can you do when one side doesn't even bother to try and defend themselves?
And personally, I thought they spent quite a lot of time talking about the mental state of the captive whales. One of the first things they did was trace Tilikum's behaviour back to his mistreatment at SeaLand.

Yeah-i suppose.SPOILER.......I only knew it was gonna be about how killer whales were turning on their trainers at water parks.I didn't realize Seaworld was gonna take centre stage-but if that's where these things were happening then fair enough.I doubt there was any point on them commenting because the evidence seemed pretty damning to be honest.What i REALLY didn't like were all the teary-eyed ex-trainers who seemed to cry ignorance of the tell-tale signs of the animals' unhappiness or the obvious facts that the holding tanks were way too small etc etc and yet they professed their love of the whales.They didn't say fuck-all about it when they worked at Seaworld(their knowledge on killer whales for some reason seemed to rely 100% on what they were told by their lying employers) but all seem to be pretty clued up now.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:32 pm

To be fair, it's not exactly uncommon for people to feel powerless against their employer. Especially when said employer is as wealthy as Seaworld. They were probably afraid to speak out before through fear of being sued.

kaosweaver20 wrote:
Applecore wrote:I've heard from fellow horror fans (some of them very reliable sources) that it's great. Will confirm/deny this later.

I'm not a huge fan of the horror genre, but I'm a big fan of 'good movies' in general. If it does something to push the boundaries or offer something fresh then I think it'll be a worthwhile watch. ;)

Yeah I'd recommend going to see You're Next. Fans of horror movies will enjoy the inventive kills and very blunt, unflinching delivery. Plus an unlikely hero that becomes more and more of a badass as the film goes on.
Whereas fans of genuinely good movies in general may find enjoyment in that it's a very well polished piece with very little left for me and my mate to pick apart come the end (and he's a right cynical fucker at times haha).
Really enjoyed it.
8.5/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Awesome. I might check it out, then. Make use of that Cineworld Unlimited card. :D

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Applecore wrote:To be fair, it's not exactly uncommon for people to feel powerless against their employer. Especially when said employer is as wealthy as Seaworld. They were probably afraid to speak out before through fear of being sued.

kaosweaver20 wrote:

Yeah I'd recommend going to see You're Next. Fans of horror movies will enjoy the inventive kills and very blunt, unflinching delivery. Plus an unlikely hero that becomes more and more of a badass as the film goes on.
Whereas fans of genuinely good movies in general may find enjoyment in that it's a very well polished piece with very little left for me and my mate to pick apart come the end (and he's a right cynical fucker at times haha).
Really enjoyed it.
8.5/10

With regards to your first point-of course it's not uncommon to feel powerless against their employer.But this lot were pleading that they weren't really sure what was going on regarding the welfare of the whales at the time-which is obviously bullshit.I was hoping an ex-employee of Seaworld was gonna come on and say"i knew this cruelty was going on so i left"or"i knew what was happening but i was gagged"or something but no-they all reckon their knowledge of whales' behaviour was based on what lies the Seaworld people told them so didn't question it.It's like they are trying to absolve themselves of any responsibility for what happened by pleading ignorance-which i simply don't believe.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:32 pm

That does sound fishy (hurr..). I'm planning on watching that documentary anyway, so perhaps my opinion will be swayed upon seeing it. Disappointing to hear none said they left because of the mistreating, but again, perhaps those who have (because there has to be some, surely?) have kept shtum through fear of legal action?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:12 pm

Just watched Django on blu-ray. Meh. It was decent enough, but not Tarantino's best

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:31 am

Applecore wrote:That does sound fishy (hurr..). I'm planning on watching that documentary anyway, so perhaps my opinion will be swayed upon seeing it. Disappointing to hear none said they left because of the mistreating, but again, perhaps those who have (because there has to be some, surely?) have kept shtum through fear of legal action?

Oh yeah-watch it-it's bloody good.It's certainly not a fault of the filmmakers,i just wanted one of the ex-trainers to say they had tried to actually DO something instead of crying about it and pleading ignorance.Frustrating!

Podgie.
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Podgie. » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:49 am

Showed this to a friend last night, he dug it.