movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Raven
Leather Rebel

Postby Raven » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:31 pm

woah woah woah ease up on the farrell bashing! :lol:

the mans a legend!

And blades of glory was HILARIOUS!

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:55 am

Saw yesterday:

Fracture: Brilliant.
The Reaping: Ok, but nothing new and had a poor conclusion.
Pathfinder: Potential to be a great movie, but it was so badly made it was a drag and a chore to watch.

Full reviews will be on my myspace soon (hopefully this evening if I have time between work and trivium)

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:48 pm

Jonoleth wrote:
Samildanach wrote:I nearly gagged when I discovered he was in the (otherwise interesting-looking) Stranger Than Fiction.

Don't worry, he didn't manage to completely ruin that, not the best film ever but it had an interesting plot at least.

That puts my mind at rest, cheers. :yes: Should be worth a rent then, I reckon.
Oh, hi. I'm not Hollywood Steve. You caught me typing a new signature. This is the story of Kenny Loggins writing 'Footloose'.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:52 am

Saw yesterday:

Bridge to Terabithia: Fantastic! What a beautiful movie. 10/10

Next: Total shit, steals from every action movie ever made and has a ridiculous plot with more holes than swiss cheese. 1/10

Straighheads: Short but sweet. Graphically brutal and sometimes disturbing. An enjoyable thriller. 7/10

Full reviews on my myspace!

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sun May 06, 2007 11:10 pm

Today I has watched:

Spiderman 3: Ok, but I still don't see the fuss. And it was too long and repetitive. 6/10.

The Upside To Anger: A wonderful, moving, engaging and funny movie. 10/10

Reviews on myspace :P

Also watching Stand By Me now on C4. I've never seen it before, I'm surprised at how many 'now more famous' actors are actually in it. I knew about Feldman and Phoenx...but never realised that Jerry O'Connel and Will Wheaton were in it...and Kiefer Sutherland...and John Cusack!

king_of_fools
Warrior of Metal

Postby king_of_fools » Thu May 10, 2007 7:29 am

Went to see Spiderman 3 the other night. People have been telling me for a while this one is by far the worst but I still kept hope they could be wrong. But I was disappointed, with villians like Sandman and Venom it could have been the best Spiderman yet, but to me it just felt like it was quite long and dragged out with everything crammed into the last 30 mins. Overall a good film, one that could have been so much better.
"Sorry, the highway was jammed with broken heroes on a last-chance power drive."

Disbeliever
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Disbeliever » Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 am

Saw Bridge to Terabithia t'other day was really good. Quite surprised because was expecting something completely different.
Nowhere, but to the black shores of Doom...

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sat May 12, 2007 11:17 pm

Saw today:

28 Weeks later: Piss poor cash in on a classic : 3/10

This Is England: A shocking, gritty but heartfelt movie about a skinhead gang in 1983: 10/10

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Sat May 12, 2007 11:28 pm

king_of_fools wrote:Went to see Spiderman 3 the other night. People have been telling me for a while this one is by far the worst but I still kept hope they could be wrong. But I was disappointed, with villians like Sandman and Venom it could have been the best Spiderman yet, but to me it just felt like it was quite long and dragged out with everything crammed into the last 30 mins. Overall a good film, one that could have been so much better.

Saw it myself today. Venom wasnt in it nearly enough for me despite all the hype, and i wont go into how much they changed the origin of venom's story etc etc, sandman was cool tho.

The plot was way too thin for me, and i cant see spidey actually letting a villan off, plus teaming up with one as well!!! It just does not happen, it got even more cringeworthy after he donned the black suit and went dancin in the street.....

Shame really. as others have said, great potential, but it falls flat on its arse for me 4/10
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

Jonoleth
Denim Demon

Postby Jonoleth » Sun May 13, 2007 11:31 am

angel_of_death wrote:This Is England: A shocking, gritty but heartfelt movie about a skinhead gang in 1983: 10/10

10 out of 10? Crikey, that's about polar opposite to me, I though it was a thin plot with very poor acting and no real point to it, shame aswell because I had high hopes for it...

Seriously, its not often I complain of bad acting, I'm not that fussed by slight hammyness but the vast majority of the cast could barely deliver their lines, it felt a bit like a school play on film.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sun May 13, 2007 11:36 am

Jonoleth wrote:
Seriously, its not often I complain of bad acting, I'm not that fussed by slight hammyness but the vast majority of the cast could barely deliver their lines, it felt a bit like a school play on film.

HAHA! School play on film...I can see that now that you mention it! But I thought the acting was superb! Maybe it was cause I'd sat through 28 weeks later just a few hours before, so the acting felt so much better!

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Sun May 13, 2007 9:18 pm

I still want to see This Is England because it's directed by Shane Meadows and his other films are awesome, so I can't just write it off.

28 Weeks Later looks like tripe.

I noticed that in the poster for 28WL, the London Gherkin appears quite prominently. However, it wasn't finished until 2004, with the 'shell' not being finished until 2002. The original 28 Days Later is set in 2002. Are we supposed to believe that the Rage zombies carried on building this engineering marvel while everyone was away? Seriously, if they couldn't even sort out a bit of obvious continuity like that, I don't have very high hopes for the rest of the film.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sun May 13, 2007 10:37 pm

Xzar wrote:I still want to see This Is England because it's directed by Shane Meadows and his other films are awesome, so I can't just write it off.

28 Weeks Later looks like tripe.

I noticed that in the poster for 28WL, the London Gherkin appears quite prominently. However, it wasn't finished until 2004, with the 'shell' not being finished until 2002. The original 28 Days Later is set in 2002. Are we supposed to believe that the Rage zombies carried on building this engineering marvel while everyone was away? Seriously, if they couldn't even sort out a bit of obvious continuity like that, I don't have very high hopes for the rest of the film.

Well, Wembley stadium is also practically complete in the movie, so those zombie have been really busy with the construction work!

Xzar
Denim Demon

Postby Xzar » Tue May 15, 2007 6:53 pm

Actually went to see 28 Weeks Later today, and didn't think it was that bad overall. Quite a lot of other 'mistakes' in its time line and just general indescrepancies but it was quite enjoyable I thought. TERRIBLE director though! Jesus christ. 'Shakey cam' never really bothered me before, but every time a fight scene happened I just had to wait until it was over for the results to come in because while it was happening I had no idea who killed what! Then there were the random bits of pointless slow-mo and dodgy filters, but overall I'd give it a reasonable 6/10.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue May 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Xzar wrote: TERRIBLE director though! Jesus christ. 'Shakey cam' never really bothered me before, but every time a fight scene happened I just had to wait until it was over for the results to come in because while it was happening I had no idea who killed what!

That's the thing that annoyed me most, but there was so little substance inbetween 'fight' scenes it just all seemed a bit pointless. By the time the end came, I couldn't care less who died or lived. Then we're given an ending that reeks of franchise...what next? '28 months later', '28years later', '28 decades later' :O

On a brighter note though....this weekend should be a good one! Magicians, Zodiac and if anywhere is showing it, The Alltogether.