The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:12 pm

In future WWE will probably claim it was down to his attitude about not wanting to bulk up, but we had this discussion before a few pages back and I'm still off the opinion it had more to do with HHH's bodybuilder fetish than it did health and safety concerns. He'll land on his feet and succeed wherever he wrestles now, but it'll always suck never seeing him one and one with Punk on a WWE pay-per-view.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:48 am

This guy makes an interesting point about Hero's release, but here's my 2 cents on it.

First of all, Hero deserves all the respect in the world. He went to WWE, did his own thing and refused to be demeaned or dictated to. Sometimes through force of will and sheer dumb luck that works out, hence why CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are 2 of the top stars in the company. Sometimes WWE don't see the potential someone has by being themselves and wants them to be a company man. When they refuse, or they get the "creative has nothing for you call" like Cabana did it's back to the "minor leagues." Fair enough WWE, you just fired one of the best in the world, your loss not theirs. Hero handled himself with dignity so props to him.

Secondly, here's the crucial difference between Hero getting a PWG title shot on his return and the same happening with Cena or The Rock- Hero is not going to beat Cole for the title. Right now Cole is holding the 2 most important indy world championships and is getting better every month as the smarmy little shit kind of heel, but he still needs to beat veterans to get over. At the moment he is 20 days shy of being PWG champ for a full year, 27 days short of passing Joey Ryan as the second longest reign ever and 70 days short of beating Chris Hero's reign. Hero getting released is perfect timing for PWG because Hero defending his position as longest reigning champ is an age old way of building a title match (TNA did a few years ago with Styles and Roode.) Is he going to win the belt though? Pretty much no chance that he will.

On the upside, at least this opens the doors for Sami Zayn hopefully to be next in line for being taken up to main roster. I'm looking forward to Samuray Del Sol and Sami Callihan making their NXT debuts as well. Mike Bennett seems to be staying with ROH due to the Bellas not wanting Maria Kaenellis back in WWE and The Briscoes seem to have resigned ROH contracts for the time being too, so the next indy stars who might be getting a contract are The American Wolves apparently. It surprises me considering how against the idea Eddie Edwards has always been in interviews, but one or the other or both of them would be great signings.
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq5GZ3L5a5w

Hell of a promo here from Jesse Sorenson. Great booking by ROH.
Upcoming Gigs

x-tempus
Leather Rebel

Postby x-tempus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN_k9iEecmE

Bad Influence being fantastic.
Fjar wrote:"Open up, love. I know you don't like it, but it's good for you!"

De Stijl wrote:One rule for vegetables, another rule for cock.
DOUBLE STANDARDS

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:15 pm

x-tempus wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN_k9iEecmE

Bad Influence being fantastic.

:lol: Brilliant stuff. I'm still months behind on Impact, I really should catch up soon.

Probably going to be staying up for Survivor Series this Sunday. Punk and Bryan v Rowan and Harper and the traditional 10 man match are going to rule. Hopefully both will get plenty of time as well as there's not going to be all that many title matches on the card.
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:41 am

I really think WWE have missed an oppertunity with Survivor Series to slow build story lines and build up superstars and have most of the roster appear. Ratings for SS seem to be down every year and Vince has apparently said he wants to scrap the PPV in favour of a themed PPV, I think they should just change the format back to the traditional SS Matches, then it's themed again and gives them an opportunity to develope existing fueds without a straigh forward rematch, plus create new possible feuds and with most of the roster getting exposure people might start giving a dam about some of them.

I think Randy Orton v Big Show and Cena vs ADL could have waited for the next PPV or The Rumble aswell as Bryan & Punk vs The Wyatt's aswell. But then again well probably get those re-matches at those events anyway so why not take a chance on a traditional SS and see what people think the numbers could go up, if they go down then they definitely know people don't like the traditional matches, I personally loved them and the possibilities they brought. I don't understand some of the logic in some of the matches either no only are Kofi Kingston and The Miz on the pre show instead of the PPV but why are they even fighting after they were both attacked by The Wyatt's a few weeks ago.

Plus there's loads of people without matches Ziggler, Sandow ect.

I looked at the roster and created my own Survivor Series I'll put it below but what do you all think to tonight's line up ? Would you change anything.

Here's what I thought.

Pre-Show

Zack Ryder, R-Truth, Justin Gabriel & The Prime Time Players
Vs
Fandango, David Otunga, Tyson Kidd, Hunico & Camachio

SURVIVOR SERIES

NXT Elimination Match (Survivors Win Main Roster Spots)
Sammy Zayn, Adrian Neville, Cory Graves & The American Pitbulls
Vs
Bo Dallas, Aiden English, Tyler Breeze & The Acension

6 Man Elimintion Match
Los Matadores & El Taurito vs 3MB

DIvas Elimination Match
Natalya, The Bella Twins, Naomie, Cameron, Eva Marie & JoJo
Vs
AJ Lee, Tamina Snuka, Kaitlyn, Alicia Fox, Rosa Mendez, Aksana, Summer Rae

Elimination Match
John Cena, Dolph Ziggler, Rey Mysterio, The Great Khali & Santino Marella
Vs
Alberto Del Rio, Damien Sandow, Wade Barrett, Jack Swagger & Antonio Cesaro

Elimination Match
Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Kofi Kingston, The Miz & Big E Langston
Vs
Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Eric Rowan, Ryback & Curtis Axel

Main Event Elimination Match
The Big Show, Cody Rhodes, Goldust & The Uso's
Vs
Randy Orton, The Sheild & Kane

Also anybody with an injury like Bray Wyatt could compete and either survive without entering or be eliminated by count out / DQ without really having to do anything physical. But it keeps them involved until healed properly.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:14 am

Overloading the card like that wouldn't work, it would get boring where every match has the same stipulation, though I do like the idea of an NXT match in the future.

Tonight's Survivor Series match was outstanding, possibly the best ever. Everyone except for Swagger and Ambrose got to showcase themselves a bit, Rey made a great return despite still not being 100% and looked as though he was going to win it himself at one stage, The Usos came out looking legit as hell (especially Jimmy), Cesaro keeps getting more and more over with his swing, Goldust hit a freaking destroyer and Reigns is getting primed for a singles push as a monster heel down the line. Top notch match, the rest of the card will struggle to follow. No point staying awake for it.
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:23 am

Agreed first match was great, everything else has been rubbish

tmcgoay
Consort of the Beast

Postby tmcgoay » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:27 am

survivor series has been crap since they moved away from the elimination matches, when they had the 4 main ppv events they had the time from summerslam till survivor series to build storyline feuds. not all the matches need to be elimination rules, but i think the majority should be. 3 well put together elimination matches and 3 championship matches should do the trick
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19, '21
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19, '21
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:11 am

Cena vs Orton in a TLC match at TLC with both titles on the line, should be an interesting one, I might actually watch it.

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:00 am

Think WWE made a mistake having the main Elimination match opening the show.

Unsurprisingly it was the match of the night and as such most of the other matches seemed to miss something.

Cody Rhodes is really shining with this run and seemingly priming himself for the big shot in 2014. Cody vs Goldust at Wrestlemania, probably a rematch at Extreme Rules. Cody have the match almost won at Wrestlemania but either have Dusty turn on him or even beter someone from The Authority (Goldust is with them at this point) try to cost him the match but as a surprise Wrestlemania appearance, Dusty Rhodes comes out and stops the interference allowing Cody to pick up the win.

After Extreme Rules have Sandow re ignite their history for a bit leading Cody to win the MITB match or ideally KOTR tournament (wishful thinking)

Orton vs Cena for both belts will happen at TLC huh? Well I'm pleased it's not just the lazy, easy booking of Wrestlemania headliner then and TLC matches are usually entertaining regardless.

Just hope they don't stretch it all the way out until Wrestlemania.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm actually surprisingly positive about this Orton/Cena feud, but there's still plenty of time for them to screw it up. The best WWE news of the past week is this though;

Can't believe I thought it was a photoshop at first :lol:
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:17 am

Yep :) American Wolves is a good move hopefully the tag division will get a focused on more. Although their now called American Pitbulls and been lumbered with crap wwe names John Cahill and Eric Philbin. Although I read something pretty interesting that they arnt under contract, and the plan is to have them appear sporadically on NXT then have them on Raw/Smackdown without much alteration to their move set and if they can get themselves over they will be signed to a contract and WWE would then look at using this method of having indie guys come in not wrestle the wwe way (to a limit) and signed if they catch on. Good news for WWE and the Indy guys although i have a sneaky feeling it's probably just another wwe ploy where they'll get no tv time, lose all the time then when they bomb WWE can say "see your Indy faves can't do shit here" like they tried to do with Daniel Bryan when he first came to NXT and like they succeeded in doing with Kaval. Hopefully good business sense will take priority over ego

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 am

That could be very cool. Risky obviously, but a better way of introducing guys that are clearly good enough to go straight to TV without much work in developmental. They really need to get both Richards and Edwards to work on their promos, and tell them there's a few moves that are too dangerous (double stomp to the apron being the main one) but otherwise they're ready, and will get over easily I think. The main way I can see it going tits up though is if they get put in the ring with someone too pussy for them like The Miz who then goes crying backstage about how stiff they are.

The main reason why this could be beneficial for the business though is because there are so many guys out there who are near enough ready to go straight to TV. This will stop NXT getting clogged up with people for years all vying to get called up. Guys like The Briscoes, Adam Cole, Roderick Strong, Michael Elgin, Prince Devitt (though he needs to become IWGP Heavyweight champ first!), Chuck Taylor and Johnny Gargano, The Young Bucks (though they really offended some people last time they had a tryout)... they're all perfect fits. Kevin Steen would badly need to get in WWE ring shape but I don't think it's impossible that he could come to WWE, especially if they do a sort of crazed have-a-go fan angle. It would be the next logical step after Daniel Bryan, have a guy who really does look like a WWE superstar, but can wrestle rings around anyone and can get over because he looks just like one of us. Plus, Steen is the biggest 90's WWF nut on the planet so he could play that role perfectly.
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Agreed the logical choice would be to put them with Punk and Bryan, they would be used to the stiffness and if it got out of hand could dish it back, they're known to each other and would have some great matches. The only way I see that happening is if they brought them in heel and ran with a "from punk & Bryans past" story line. I think WWE want them face so other possibilities would put them against The Shield obviously Seth Rollins knows them & their style and Roman is big enough to stand the punishment, same goes with Cesaro & Swagger. The Wyatt's could probably take it aswell. Just keep them away from people like Orton who would complain.

I'd love them to get the Briscoe's and when Sabins TNA contract was up grab him and get Alex Shelly over from Japan and have MCMG reunite in WWE. Same with Roode and Storm when their TNA contracts expire grab them and have Beer Money in WWE. Don't know what happened with The Young Bucks but they should be given another shot.
I still think they missed an oppertunitys with Tyson Kidds return, before he was injured him and Gabriel were a pretty good tag team since he returned he silently just turned up and had a match against Gabriel, they should have had Gabriel team with Kofi whilst Kidd was still recovering maybe win the tag belts, and wait until Kidd and Evan Bourne to be cleared then have them come back as disgruntled tag partners who were forgotten about by Kofi & Gabriel.

I'd love to see Kevin Steen in WWE and if it were the 80s-early 2000s he would have been,unfortunately now WWE are too hung up on looks telling Big Show, Bray Wyatt (when he was Husky Harris) among others to loose weight. And letting Chris Hero go for apparently not taking the fitness programme seriously (he's hardly huge).
Same with Samoa Joe they won't give him a look in because of his weight, they'd probably give him a typical Samoan gimmick aswell like Umaga, Manu, ect. Though I think his Main Event Mafia look and attitude could get over in WWE if he were brought in as a bodyguard for somebody to begin with.

On other notes it looks like the World titles might be getting Unified which I'm happy about the rosters been far to shallow size and talent wise for a long time now to warrant all these titles and it's resulted in rushing people to World Champions far too quickly then just abandoning them. Although a title Unification should be saved for WrestleMania (sorry) unless they are going to unify the Intercontinental / United States titles aswell then it should happen at Night of Champions (maybe even rename it to WCWs Clash of the Champions).

I really thing we could be about to see the heel turn of Cena if WWE are brave enough to pull the trigger and reveal him as the true face of corporate WWE, the only thing bad I see about this would be what to do with Orton as he obviously works better heel and he'd loose that spot to Cena.
The only other thing I can think they'd go with is have HHH get frustrated at Orton and he decided there's only him capable of being the face of the company and coming out of "retirement".

Although bringing back a heel corporate Sheamus when he's healthy could be good especially with his ties to Triple H