The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 pm

metalsam wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Does anyone know much about DBS checks (formerly called CRB checks)? Basically i'm looking into privately tutoring English at A level and GCSE, but to get an extended disclosure (i.e. one that shows not only I have no criminal record but also that i'm not barred from working with children or vulnerable adults) I need to have the application countersigned by a registered body. No big deal there as I can probably use my mum's company, but what I'm not sure of is whether or not that certificate will only cover me for working for my mum, or for all work with people under 16. Can anyone shed some light?

1. You don't need a DBC to tutor privately. Some parents may prefer it. I teach a shit load of kids and my CRB is 2 years old... no-one even asks about it any more. You're better off paying a lawyer to write you a good lesson policy than you are buying a DBS, in terms of less stress and mo' money.

2. The way I understand it the DBS can be used across all your employers/jobs, UNLIKE the CRB, which is why the DBS was introduced. But you'll want to check that!

Cheers man! I texted G about it and he said you'd be a good person to get advice off. My ma reckons I'm probably better off trying to get a DBS cert as a self-employed person via a job agency (she would say that obviously as then she wouldn't have to pay 150 scoops to register just to sign my application). I'll get more concrete info when I call AccessNI tomorrow, but i'll keep that lawyer thing you suggested in mind too.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:13 am

Seriously, when I sorted my lesson policy I made more than 30% extra overnight and people stopped dicking me about. Not so vital if you want to make some beer money, but if you want to live off it, you have to have one.

Katesyl
Paster of Muppets

Postby Katesyl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 am

This DBS malarkey sounds promising actually. Having to dish out new CRBs left right and centre is a right pain in the arse.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 pm

metalsam wrote:Seriously, when I sorted my lesson policy I made more than 30% extra overnight and people stopped dicking me about. Not so vital if you want to make some beer money, but if you want to live off it, you have to have one.

Could you send me a bit more info on this?
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:42 am

JrHunter wrote:My bike insurance was £150 for the year, so insurance is cheap. They use a lot of petrol though.

A late reply, I know, but WTF? My learner bike was getting over 100mpg and even my full size bike (700cc) is turning in 50+mpg. One of the best things about bikes is how little fuel they use. I mean, OK, if you have a big engined bike and you're caning the nuts off it all the time then your fuel economy won't be great. But realistically, that's not how most people ride.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:53 am

Did I miss an insurance question? I'm an underwriter, so bring it on. But watch out, once you get me seriously onto an insurance conversation...

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:22 pm

If I take a day off work am I entitled to sick pay? I just assumed no because when I have done so in the past I get -£50 (approx) written on my paycheque for a sick day, and it's taken out my wage. When I mentioned to my mum that I was planning on going in tomorrow (despite probably having a chest infection) because I didn't want to lose the money she said that shouldn't be happening?

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:56 pm

TheLotusEater193 wrote:If I take a day off work am I entitled to sick pay? I just assumed no because when I have done so in the past I get -£50 (approx) written on my paycheque for a sick day, and it's taken out my wage. When I mentioned to my mum that I was planning on going in tomorrow (despite probably having a chest infection) because I didn't want to lose the money she said that shouldn't be happening?

What does your contract say?
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm

You can usually self certificate for up to 7 days, before being signed off by your doctor & your work will pay you your hourly/daily/weekly rate based upon your contracted hours.

Which is why many retail places like 0-4 hour weekly contracts, or more full-time contracts are shortening. They'll pay overtime or additional hours, but if you're off ill they only need to pay you your base contract.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:14 am

At my work it comes down to whether you're permanent or temporary.

I'm still technically classed as temporary, so I don't get paid until I've been off for 4 days, when I start getting statuary sick pay.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:27 am

That's normal. Sometimes different procedures for individual days off.

You need to be earning at least £110 a week & ill for 4 days in a row for SSP. Plus informed employer in time & any other rules stated in your contract usually.

The thing is that you need to be classed as an 'employee', rather than just a 'worker' which is what some contracts manage to avoid these days or they state your base wage is under the required amount.

As said, check your contract.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:09 am

Dammit, I need to dig it out from wherever it's hiding.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:53 pm

People who know about this whole getting a job business - is putting that you like heavy metal music a good idea on a CV?
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:56 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:People who know about this whole getting a job business - is putting that you like heavy metal music a good idea on a CV?

IMO I don't see how it'd be relevant on a CV unless it was something to do with metal.. I assume it's just in the "MY INTERESTS ARE BLA BLA BLA" bit?

I know I'm probably not the best at writing CV's :P but yeah.. just how I see it anyway.

Katesyl
Paster of Muppets

Postby Katesyl » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:08 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't unless it was relevant.