The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 pm

CrappyMike wrote:So people can say anything the want about Batista, but I'm really looking forward to him coming back. Reports are he's back long term and full time, so I'm excited to see what he'll be doing.

2 year deal from what I've read.

Last night I watched the latest Jim Cornette shoot. It's always good to hear him slate Vince Russo even if it has all been said before, but I also learnt a lot about the inner workings of his time in TNA and ROH that I didn't know. In years to come I think Spike TV barring Jeff Jarrett from production meetings after lying about his relationship with Karen Angle is going to be seen as the turning point for their downfall. After that they slowly picked off all the Jarrett guys from the backstage who actually knew shit about the wrestling business like Dutch Mantell and Savio Vega got hounded out of their jobs and Cornette got fired for not getting on board with Russo's bullshit decisions. Because they started letting his creative ideas through unchecked TNA never got a second chance at a first impression to most of the wrestling market after that.

The ROH stuff was actually more surprising. From what he says Sinclair Broadcasting bought the company on the basis of a business plan he came up with based on OVW where they would spend money to make money- own their own camera and iPPV broadcast equipment, film all TV in a purpose-built studio set with on-site offices and training school etc... Basically what NXT now is. Instead to save money Sinclair kept using some shitty amateur iPPV provider which continuously ballsed up and lost them a lot of money and the trust of a lot of their fans, and because they knew fuck all about the business made some bad decisions about places to film TV in that made them look second rate and failed to make an impression on new fans. The difference compared to TNA is though I think ROH have a chance to make a better impression second time round as the booking through that period of countless mistakes stayed as good as it ever was, and the company is still growing.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:16 pm

awwwyus.

i love the cornette shoots.

that guy is so entertaining. will be acquiring that tonight.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:45 pm

They need to compile them into a boxset called Jim Cornette: 30 Years Of Fuck This Company
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:15 pm

The first 8 minutes are basically how Vince Russo is a cunt :lol:

EDIT: 15 and still going. I love this shit.

EDITEDIT: Fucking fascinating and hilarious as always.

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Looks like WWE passed on The American Wolves after one tryout, Dixie carter had apparently teased new signings to appear at Genesis and posted a pic of a piece of paper with the initials DR & EE on it!
Stupid Stupid WWE!
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 am

If anything could turn that company around, it's those two
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:37 am

I still think TNA and RoH should work together and do a RoH invasion story could be good for both companies and RoH would benefit from national/international tv exposure. Would be perfect timing aswell with AJ going back to RoH.
Just as a part time deal thinking like how WWF & USWA used to help each other and like the time ECW invaded WWF in 1997

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:36 am

I still think that would only really be to TNA's benefit. They still have some top wrestlers but mostly haven't had any really quality matches for the past year and an ROH linkup would basically be a free talent injection for them. ROH might get a bit more name recognition out of it, but except for TNA viewers in existing ROH TV markets who don't watch the show already that's not going to contribute to many more TV ratings for their own show. And the impact on their online sales and iPPV buys would be pretty limited too I reckon. After all, if you're a wrestling fan and active on the internet you probably know about the ROH brand already.

ROH might as well sit tight and wait to slide into second place when TNA goes kaput in my opinion. There's 7 ex-ROH guys in TNA (plus AJ) who could likely return and bring some of the TNA fanbase with them. Getting to national level is a different matter though, that relies on having a network who wants to compete with Vince. In a dream situation Sinclair would sell ROH to Fox Network who are their biggest affiliate who would then keep the product largely as it is and emphasise the superior athleticism and broadcast it on their sports channels. The likelihood of that though is pretty slim.
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am

I'm still a bit behind on RAW, but have gotten to the NYE episode now. I have to say the Punk vs Rollins match didn't blow me away like I thought it would. WWE are being very smart by making sure all 3 guys get over as individuals before they split the faction up, but Rollins is still clearly the least over of the 3 which if you had've told me when they first came in I never would've expected. I reckon what he needs is a PPV length one on one match with Bryan to really put him over. Bryan made him as Tyler Black in ROH and I think he'll need to do the same to make him as Seth Rollins now.

Reigns is nearly ready to become the top powerhouse in the company. Hopefully he'll get put into the Elimination Chamber match this year where he'll really look legit. With Ambrose hopefully they'll let him make the US title more important again, maybe even having a secondary chamber match for it.
Upcoming Gigs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:42 am

I'm with you on Reigns and Rollins but as far as I'm concerned they can stick that title up Ambrose's arse. He aggravates the shit out of me haha.

By the way, has anyone here used the WWE Euro shop? I bought a CM Punk shirt from it yesterday morning and it's just arrived! Rather impressed!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 am

Ideally what I'd like to see booked for the shield is a decent showing from all 3 during the Rumble with Reigns eliminating loads of people to make him look like a monster. Ambrose then eliminates Reigns.
The Night after on Raw Reigns & Rollins recapture the Tag Titles from Cody & Goldust.
At Elimination Chamber they beat Cody & Goldust in a re-match which leads to the brothers split and build for the Mania Match
All the while still showing cracks as a unit in the Sheild teasing there split.
Then either...

A) Split before WM causing Tag Titles to be Vacated and a Tournament Set up to crown New Champs at Mania
Plus US Title- Triple Threat Match- Ambrose vs Reigns vs Rollins.

B) Hold off on the Split until after Mania, The Uso's finally win the Titles from a The Shield at Mania

C) Actually split at Mania after losing (kinda like Andre/Hennan WM 6)

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:09 pm

The Warlord wrote:Ideally what I'd like to see booked for the shield is a decent showing from all 3 during the Rumble with Reigns eliminating loads of people to make him look like a monster. Ambrose then eliminates Reigns.

I agree with this, however I'd have Reigns eliminate Ambrose, declaring himself the best member of The Shield.
I'd also like to see Reigns vs Punk with zero interruptions, because when he took on each of them there were none until the Reigns match, which meant yes, Reigns is the only member to beat Punk one-on-one, but they had to do it with a distraction, which just felt like an easy way out.
To be honest, the amount of interruptions in matches is getting old anyway. Like where they had Xavier Woods call out the girls to distract R Truth's opponent in two consecutive matches (can't remember who against. I think one was Brodus Clay?). Me and my flatmate both said "didn't they do this last week?"
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm

The next tag champs are rumoured to be Harper and Rowan which I'm happy about. I'd rather not see Cody vs Goldust at Mania yet, mostly because they should be priming Cody as a top face to become champ sometime in the latter half of 2014. Brother vs brother should happen for the title at a PPV in 2015 after Cody turns heel. Heck, I'd even like to see Goldust have the belt for a very short reign.
Upcoming Gigs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Harper and Rowan would be cool, I'm pretty bored of Goldust and Cody.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:51 pm

They're still the team putting on the best matches I think. The tag division in general is very healthy at the moment though. Cody and Goldy, The Wyatts, The Usos and The Prime Time Players are all deserving of the belts, plus gimmicks aside The Real Americans and Los Matadores work brilliantly together as well. Even Mysterishow and Rybaxel are fairly decent pairings.

I'm on Old School RAW now at last. Ambrose and Piper face to face was a total mark out moment for me.
Upcoming Gigs