The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:48 am

I like that WWE are starting to tap his potential for comedy wrestling. That thanksgiving match against Titus was great, and might've even been something he had input in. I've always liked about him how he takes the craft of wrestling so seriously (he never went to wrestling school as such but was fanatical about going to seminars in Europe and then in the US after he won the green card lottery), but can be a complete goof some of the time without having to stoop to crappy wrestling to do it. Some of the stuff he was involved in with Chikara was beyond ridiculous, but never stopped them having some of the best wrestling in the world.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:07 am

Cody/Goldust vs New Age Outlaws for the titles added to the Rumble...interesting.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:12 am

The new age outlaws were my second favourite tag team after the Hardy's as a kid so I'm looking forward to that. Batista has just come out, looking in good shape and a huge pop.
On the subject, kinda annoyed his return was revealed the way it was. I think the plan was a surprise rumble return, and then a couple of venues leaked it. Still, interested to see what he's gonna do tonight.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Might have to actually go to that Cardiff date.

http://wrestletalk.tv/Jim_Cornette/

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Jobdone wrote:Might have to actually go to that Cardiff date.

http://wrestletalk.tv/Jim_Cornette/

I'm ripping he's not coming to Ireland, but a DDP seminar will certainly do
Upcoming Gigs

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:20 pm

Seems more and more likely for an Orton vs Lesnar vs Cena vs Batista fatal four way at Mania.

I do hope not.

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:33 am

I hope not I'm a firm believer of the one on one main event at Mania.

The rumble match itself is looking pretty weak with only Punk and Batista as realistic winners.
I don't understand the logic of having Bray vs Bryan there, Bryan gets him in a match because he knows Harper and Rowan are in the Rumble...surely they could be at ringside...and surely Bryan would want a chance to win the rumble and go to mania for the title. What stopping him from entering the Rumble anyway Goldust and Cody are entered even though there facing the outlaws. I really think he'll be in the Rumble as a surprise entrant, but again I think if your in a match on the card you shouldn't be in the Rumble.

If this was anytime from the 80' s up to the end of the Attitude era they'd have not rushed to get to the match they'd have put both Bryan and Bray in the Rumble with Bray coming in about number 4-5 and then Bryan coming in about 17 and racing to the ring to get his hands on him. But with Harper/Rowan helping to eliminate Bryan, then have them both in the Elimination Chamber match with Bray Eliminating him, leading to the blow off match at Mania in a Steel Cage. Everything's so rushed nowadays.

As for the Rumble itself I'd keep Orton vs Cena for the Title and Lesnar vs Big Show but I'd have bumped the tag title match of Cody/Goldy vs New Age outlaws from the pre- show to the main card and add Aj defending the Divas title against somebody (maybe a fatal four way)

Then For the Rumble have...
CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Batista, Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, Big E Langston, Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Roman Raines, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Kofi Kingston, Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, Eric Rowan, Ryback, Damien Sandow, Sin Cara, Jack Swagger, Antonio Cesaro, Jimmy & Jay Uso, Bad News Barrett, Fandango, Brodus Clay, Xavier Woods, R-Truth

Then Suprise entrants... Sheamus, Rob Van Dam and The Undertaker.

I think they should have stuck with the 40 man Rumble aswell from a couple of years ago.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:20 am

Don't have any major opinions about the rumble, except that it hasn't been built up particularly well, but disappointed about the bray/bryan thing. don't want to see this turn into a thing that goes until wrestlemania, or even beyond.

bryan should be in a better match at mania.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am

I think they should ditch Bray vs Bryan soon and start on Cena vs The Wyatts, and build Bryan vs Shawn Michaels for Wrestlemania. Yeah that defeats the purpose of Shawn's retirement match, but I think they'll have to pull him out of retirement eventually to have Sting vs Michaels at WM31.
Upcoming Gigs

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:59 pm

Michaels is retired and should stay that way. Any dream matches that haven't happened aren't happening. And honestly, sting is not good enough any more for a wrestlemania match. He's years past his prime even people who love him can't deny it. All he does is a few stinger splashes and a sloppy as fuck inverted DDT and sharpshooter. A few years ago I'd be willing to watch him at wrestlemania but he belongs in the same position as hogan now. Although I never really saw what was so great about him in the first place.

I would love to see Jeff hardy back in wwe, as unlikely as it is. Nobody can deny his popularity and wwe would love to have him back whether they want to say TNA has nobody they need or not. Unfortunately he's still with TNA although he's been written off again for the UK tour.

As far as wrestlemania, I'm sticking by wanting punk vs cena, and will every year until one of them retires :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:02 pm

I'd like to see a collapse of the Shield at the Rumble.
Totally agree about the Bray vs Bryan match too, Harper and Rowan can and undoubtedly will interfere/distract. Hopefully this'll be the end of that arc, too and we can get Bryan back into some regular matches.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:46 pm

Any of you guys watch non-WWE wrestling? (More specifically, puro stuff like NJPW?)

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:49 pm

If I had any idea where to get that stuff, I probably would.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:48 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Any of you guys watch non-WWE wrestling? (More specifically, puro stuff like NJPW?)

With wrestling my watching habits are generally that I'll watch every episode of RAW and all WWE PPVs and the occasional episode of NXT or Smackdown, and Ring Of Honor is the only other company I will watch all TV and iPPV shows from. I'm slowly catching up on TNA now that they've signed The Wolves, but I've given up on all the One Night Only PPVs because they mostly suck.

NJPW is my other favourite company, but I generally stick to the big PPVs (Wrestle Kingdom, Dominion, G1 Climax etc.) rather than the "Road To..." broadcasts. They're easier to find of course, but also the matches are better and you don't really need to follow the storyline with Puroresu anyway.

I used to watch a bit of All Japan as well, but since Mutoh's exodus and them losing their TV spot in Japan their shows have become impossible to find. I did have the first show of Mutoh's new company Wrestle-1 downloaded but seem to have accidentally deleted it. Must find that again actually. As for other Japanese stuff I'm not really a fan of any of the others. Pro Wrestling NOAH is a bit too slow even for my tastes, and Zero-1 and Dragon Gate are very hard to find. Big Japan is good for an occasional laugh as well.

I watch a lot of American indies too, depending on when I can find them and whether the card is good or not. CZW had some amazing iPPVs last year but seem to have lost momentum again, whereas EVOLVE, Dragon Gate USA, PWG, AAW and AIW consistently put on awesome shows but they're not always easy to get a hold of. If I had the disposable income I would actually pay for the iPPVs or buy the DVDs. Some friends of mine buy all the Pro Wrestling Guerrilla DVDs and I am going to ask for a lend of the All Star Weekend X disc when I next see them because I've had no luck sourcing it online.

The other indy company I really make an effort not to miss a show by is CHIKARA because it's the perfect mix of great wrestling and ridiculous entertainment. Even though it's mostly lucha libre-based I get bored watching Mexican wrestling very easily. I'll watch NJPW and CMLL's joint show Fantasticamania, and maybe AAA's Triplemania, each year but that's about it.
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53 pm

Back in the day I used to Watch WWF, I'd have to resort to watching WCW on the German channel DSF until they started putting it on TNT. I'd watch NJPW on Eurosport and AAA and CMLL on the Mexican channels.
Then ECW on Bravo.

I liked the Wrestling Channel when that was on and would watch MLW, TNA (when TNA was actually good) and RoH on there.

Now there's so little time to watch loads of Wrestling and unless it's TNA or WWE it's hard to keep up with other companies I'll watch Raw, NXT and PPV's I don't bother with TNA anymore and I'll occasionally watch RoH on you tube but it's not up to date. Wish they'd show Roh on tv here.