The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby The Warlord » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Me and some mates have got tickets for WWE in May at Leeds Block A row D, were on the corner of the entrance ramp/ringside corner 4 rows back from ringside..pretty happy about that.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:04 pm

ROH videos tend to stay up on Dailymotion for longer than Youtube so that's a good place to watch them. Other than that I use some forums based in India called Bollyrulez/Desirulez, wweo.net and watchwrestling.tv to find streaming and download links.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:10 pm

I watched roh just the other day there, just the episode available free on the website. It was alright but I still don't feel compelled to keep watching. Haven't been watching anything regularly recently but i'll be watching raw live each week leading up to wrestlemania and Obviously the royal rumble and elimination chamber. Watched impact the other week there as well but can't really be bothered with it anymore. As much as I've defended TNA for years now its really gone downhill this last year. They've just got rid of aces and eights and replaced them immediately with this Dixie stable shit, its the same damn thing fans are already sick of seeing from aces and eights :|

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:30 pm

they've been vaguely rehashing nWo for like 6 years.

tmcgoay
Consort of the Beast

Postby tmcgoay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:44 pm

they don't seem to have the patience to build good story arcs, each week i see a potential arc that could last 6 weeks get done in 2 or not even bothered with
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19, '21
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19, '21
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:04 am

CrappyMike wrote:I watched roh just the other day there, just the episode available free on the website. It was alright but I still don't feel compelled to keep watching. Haven't been watching anything regularly recently but i'll be watching raw live each week leading up to wrestlemania and Obviously the royal rumble and elimination chamber. Watched impact the other week there as well but can't really be bothered with it anymore. As much as I've defended TNA for years now its really gone downhill this last year. They've just got rid of aces and eights and replaced them immediately with this Dixie stable shit, its the same damn thing fans are already sick of seeing from aces and eights :|

ROH TV is good, but there's not much they can do with a 50 minute weekly show with 3 matches and they have to advance storylines as well. The most recent TV I think is mostly centred on the Top Prospect tourney as well so it's not guys on fulltime contracts with them and not as experienced. The quality of the matches on their PPVs is phenomenal though.

Speaking of phenomenal I just stuck on the new AJ Styles shoot and he's hypothetically talking about how you can get away with not declaring your full income to the taxman as an indy wrestler. Probably not a good idea to say that in the public domain after you've just booked a year's worth of independent shows where you'll be sometimes getting paid cash in hand :lol:
Upcoming Gigs

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:05 am

Yeah that's fair enough. I'll probably pay more attention with Chris hero and AJ styles showing up.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:35 am

Both those guys were on the January 6th TV taping so their matches should be up in the next fortnight. I reckon both will be made world champ sometime in the near future too. Both will work their asses off, as will Austin Aries and Christopher Daniels who are bound to return too if TNA goes tits up, but I'm still a bit worried that they might jump the queue a little so to speak with the world title. They are veterans and deserve it of course, and AJ especially will be a good figurehead for the company with the belt, but there's still the same danger of doing what TNA did (something AJ pointed out in his shoot) and TV people deciding the belt should go just to whoever has the most profile outside of the company. Moving forward ROH will really need to balance rewarding old stars and building new top ones like Michael Elgin, Jay Lethal, Kyle O'Reilly, Bobby Fish etc. If he doesn't go to NXT then I expect to see Johnny Gargano arrive in ROH at some point too as is probably the biggest independent star right now who isn't on that roster.
Upcoming Gigs

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:38 am

I've followed WWF/E on-and-off since about 96ish, and watched WCW when it was on TNT/Bravo. In more recent years I go into indy feds like RoH and CHIKARA, whilst generally following what was happening in Japan (mainly focussing on NJPW because... well... Tanahashi/Nakamura are fantastic).

I get the impression NOAH have gone down hill a bit in recent years - though they did put on an excellent show when I saw them in Coventry a few years ago :-)

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:03 pm

They've just had some bad luck with Misawa's death, Kobashi's retirement, Takayama not being at the top of his game anymore, guys like Aoki, Kanemaru, Shiozaki, Akiyama etc. returning to All Japan. Still some great guys on their roster, especially Takeshi Morishima, KENTA, Taiji Ishimori, Naomichi Marifuji and that New Zealand gaijin team they have, TMDK, but it's been a long time since they've had any 5 star matches. Zack Sabre Jr. from the UK has been making some waves there recently though so I'll have to check that out.
Upcoming Gigs

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 am

Mick Foley in a facebook rant over Bryan not winning the Rumble.

"HEY WWE....WHAT THE F?

Yes, I'm going to put a brick through my TV. It's just going to have to wait until tomorrow. I had every intention of putting a brick through my TV tonight, after seeing that Daniel Bryan was not even entered in the Royal Rumble match, let alone going to win the thing. But, upon seeing their dad with a brick in his hand, my younger children got a little bit scared, thinking their dad had lost his mind. A rather spirited debate about the wisdom of following through on the promise to put a brick through my TV ensued with my wife - and, as is usually the case in marital debates, I, being the husband, did not emerge victorious. Honestly, the points she made about mercury and glass fragments everywhere were pretty good ones.

But I'm still going to put a brick through my TV. It's just going to have to wait until tomorrow - when the kids are in school, and I can take the TV outside the house for the actual throwing of the brick. Granted, it's not nearly as dramatic as doing it live, right after the Rumble, but at least I will be keeping my word.

As I mentioned on Twitter, I've never felt so disgusted at the conclusion of a WWE (or any) PPV. Like many of you out there, I just don't get it. This Daniel Bryan thing is a phenomenon. You get it. I get it. The fans in Pittsburgh (yes, I was thinking of writing "RIGHT TH...but I'm just not in a cheap pop mood) got it. But tonight, for the first time, I had to admit to myself that the powers that be are just not going to get it. And that makes me sad. I'm just honestly sad, just flat out fucking sad (yes, I dropped an F-bomb there to emphasize how F'ing sad I am for the guys who bust their butts night in and night out - Ziggler, Punk, Bryan, etc - with no hope of getting their shot at this year's Mania.

You know who else I'm sad for? Me. In my two years as an official WWE Ambassador, I never once had to lie about my enthusiasm for the company or the product. Now, although I am no longer officially an Ambassador for WWE (believe it or not, my only official role in WWE is as GM for Saturday Morning Slam, a contract that ends in one month) I was till looking forward to being part of the biggest event of the year. I'll probably end up going anyway. But I'm about 1/6th as excited about it as I was just a few hours ago. I wanted so badly to hear 75,000 WWE fans chanting "YES" - and seeing fans walk away absolutely ecstatic about the outcome of a PPV for the first time in a while...a long while. But when given the chance to make it happen (unless they've got something MAJOR up their sleeve) WWE's answer tonight was a resounding "NO, NO, NO"."

I get why he's pissed, but people need to not be so butthurt over this. Think of it this way- this is the end of the era coming now for all those guys who became top stars between 2003 and 2005. Orton vs Batista will headline Mania, Lesnar will lose to Taker (this is why they're making him look so unstoppable now, because Taker needs a really convincing victory) and I'm expecting Cena to come out on the losing end of this feud with Bray Wyatt if they really want to keep that character going for the future.

Those guys will all dominate the top of the card this year, but next year it's almost a dead cert that either Punk or Bryan will win the Rumble and they will headline Mania together. Everyone needs to just chill the fuck out and be patient.

Slightly off topic, but I was thinking that they might need to bring more members into the Wyatt Family to make them look strong and last longer, and I thought what a shame that this guy isn't in developmental right now. He's got the look, he's a genuine redneck, has a similar background in hardcore wrestling as Luke Harper, but was also in ROH for 5 years and has had great wrestling matches as well with everyone from Cesaro to Samoa Joe to the American Wolves and has an insane work ethic. The only things holding him back would be his age, his reputation as the Necro Butcher, and the fact he's a habitual stoner.

Upcoming Gigs

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 am

I don't think Punk will re-sign to be honest. Before the PPV he tweeted 'The view never changes' and he's not been in it fully for a long time. He came so close to just leaving last time, why would he want to stick around now? Nothing changed.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:52 pm

When is his contract up? He's also hinted at retiring young as well, so he might as well stick around for a Rumble win and a Mania headliner to finish off his career.

Anyway, here's what I expect the Wrestlemania card to look like

-Randy Orton vs Batista (Batista wins, loses it back to Orton after a few months who then drops it to Cody Rhodes)
-John Cena vs Bray Wyatt (Wyatt wins, Cena goes into decline/eventual semi-retirement)
-The Undertaker vs Brock Lesnar (Sting makes his first appearance and begins his mind games for a long build to Wrestlemania 31)
-CM Punk vs HHH w/Kane and The New Age Outlaws (re-cements Punk as anti-authority)
-Daniel Bryan vs Shawn Michaels
-Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins vs Dean Ambrose US Championship match
-probably AJ Lee vs Natalya for the divas title (though it'd be nice to debut one of the NXT divas by then)
-Goldust vs Cody Rhodes (though I'd rather this waits until Cody is champ)

Pre-show

-The Usos (c) vs The Wyatt Family for the tag titles (clean sweep for the Wyatts)
-Big E. Langston vs Sheamus for the Intercontinental Championship

I'm not taking the rumours of Hogan in a tag match very seriously, simply because it would suck and he may be unable to get insurance to wrestle. At best we might get him in Cena's corner vs Bray.

The only predictions I'm really not sure about are the IC match (they'll probably try to squeeze Sheamus on the main card some way), and the talk about Taker wanting to face Bryan. His opinion counts for a lot with booking, but they also need a very convincing victory for Taker and Lesnar seems to getting pushed for that very reason. However it could end up Taker vs Bryan with Lesnar added to the main event, or Bryan vs Sheamus if they don't act on the mentor vs student feud. A lot of people think bringing HBK out of retirement is unlikely, but I think it has to happen. Having an Icon vs Icon match against Sting (maybe Summerslam headliner?) needs to happen.
Upcoming Gigs

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I believe his contract ends in the summer, so he could be off, you never know. If the lolsheets are to be believed then it certainly will be Sheamus fighting D-BRAH at WM, which makes sense because it could be a whole redemption for last year thing and Sheamus is actually slightly interesting as a heel.

I have so little interest in seeing Orton Vs Batista I don't think I can put it into words.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Sheamus vs Bryan can put on a pretty good match when they're given 15-20 minutes to do it. Their 2/3 falls from a few years ago was top notch.
Upcoming Gigs