The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 pm

WWE's loss, and a serious gain for anyone he decides to wrestle for after July. AJ Styles and Chris Hero coming back on the indies at the start of this year has been huge, but Punk returning would be megalithic. Unless of course he's sick of the wrestling business in general and wants to retire. If not though, the possibilities are insane. My money would be on CM Punk vs AJ Styles headlining Glory By Honor XIII in Chicago Ridge.

I for one am actually pretty excited about this, and total respect to Punk for doing it.

As for KENTA I really can't see him accepting if he get's offered a contract. For one thing I'm pretty sure he's signed a new contract with NJPW who will be paying him a fuckload more than he'd ever make in WWE. It would be cool to see him against Bryan in WWE, but he'd never get a whiff of a topspot in the company, not when pussies like Orton and Batista wouldn't want to work with him. That being said, a few broken chins is exactly what the WWE upper card and bureaucracy could do with!
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:20 pm

http://www.tmz.com/2014/01/29/matt-hardy-arrested-assault-and-battery-reby-sky-mug-shots-brawl/

This has been kept quiet all month. Shame it's being spun as a brawl between Hardy and Reby Sky and not Hardy abusing her. The latter would've created a lot more stink and could've got Hardy fired from ROH. I know he's mostly going to be working as a heater for Adam Cole but he'll still be stinking up any card he wrestles on. Fat cripples like him have no place in ROH, and it's not like he's adding much star power when you consider the 2 names who have just returned and who else may show up this year.
Upcoming Gigs

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:33 pm

I tell you one thing, THIS is a brilliant week to be a wrestling fan.

Bryan vs Wyatt at the Rumble PPV was great, Lesnar looked the destructive monster his character needs to be and even the title match was solid.

The Rumble itself was a massive talking point.

The crowd were hot throughout but the volume of the boos was undeniable and a visibly fucked off Batista completely breaking face character was hilarious.

Really frustrated and fuming following the Rumble was most peoples reaction.

Being used as a storyline on Raw. Will surely lead to Bryan vs Triple H but yeah meh, a massive talking point regardless.

Today Punk has walked out on WWE. Even if a work. He won't go to TNA but the ROH possibilities are great and exciting. TNA playing on it by posting an article on him on their site.

Reports today also that Sting has signed a Legends deal with WWE. Up against the streak at Wrestlemania with his career on the line? Wouldn't bet against it. HOF the year after.

Tomorrow is Thursday and brings with it the start of TNA in the UK with a LIVE edition of Impact from Glasgow with the big reveal of their new investor.

As unlikely as it seemingly is, the situation and strange cryptic comments regarding The American Wolves NXT to TNA story has opened a possibility, albeit slight of a working relationship between TNA and WWE.

Shane Mc Mhaon has been rumoured a few months back to be looking at getting back into the wrestling business.

If the announcement is good then it'll be a talking point on Friday.

TNA taping the next few weeks of Impact in London on Saturday then one of their One Night ONly specials live from Birmingham on Sunday.

Thursdays live impact and the One Night Only event on Sunday are both live at 9pm on Challenge for those in the UK.

Not to mention we're going into Febuary which is the month LDN are being broadcast on ITV.

Wrestlemania season.

Is 2014 gonna be the year that professional wrestling returns to the mainstream?

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:32 pm

I don't know about that, but I think it will be a year in which ROH and NJPW have a surge in popularity. They've already been matching WWE in terms of the product, and now a Punk-less WWE is going to be playing catch-up with them and not the other way round in my book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StAP-Q3YQ4s&feature=youtu.be

Great match in PWX here between AJ Styles and Cedric Alexander. It's a bit slow getting started but it really picks up towards the end. AJ's selling on that backdrop backcracker around the 22 minute mark is insane.
Upcoming Gigs

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 am

WWE without cm punk is barely worth watching. There are other great wrestlers there but for me nobody has been as consistently amazing as punk has been since 09. Even with shitty storylines he still steals a the show on the mic and in the ring. Its entirely possible he has genuinely walked out because the last thing he has said he wants to do is main event wrestlemania, and it gets less likely every year now, which is a completely stupid move by wwe if that's why because he could have a main event match with any number of guys.

One report has said that punk supposedly had an argument with wwe staff before raw about concussion tests but I doubt we'll find out anytime soon why he walked out, does look like he's gone though.

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:28 am

In yet more WWE news and rumours that I've just read...

Apparently Sting and WWE have come to domed sort of terms that will likely see him Inducted into the 2015 Hall of Fame. Not this years as they would be looking for a year to educate people about Sting meaning (probably select dates to Wrestle part time) a full 3 disk Biopic DVD, and being heavily featured on WWE Network.

Also WWE are talking about offering Colt Cabana a contract but this isn't for an in ring deal it's to become a regular face for presenting on WWE Network.

As well as KENTA, apparently Prince Devitt has also been in negotiations with WWE, but has yet to make a decision on if it will be worth moving from Ireland to USA and giving up his spot in Japan for a spot in WWE, but has apparently been told time is running out to make his choice before the offers took off the table.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:40 am

I saw that comic sit-down dealie Punk did at the weekend, or the highlights from it anyway. In it he bemoans the WWE writers' lack of long term booking, saying that only now are they worrying about Wrestlemania. It kind of goes against the faint idea that Bryan is in a super long term program to get the belt eventually, which sucks.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:47 am

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:19 am

I was!
Thanks Mr Meeseeks!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:48 am

Applecore wrote:

I was!
Thanks Mr Meeseeks!

EXISTENCE IS PAIN.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 am

Also that Bray Wyatt gif is fucking terrifying.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:36 am

The Warlord wrote:In yet more WWE news and rumours that I've just read...

Apparently Sting and WWE have come to domed sort of terms that will likely see him Inducted into the 2015 Hall of Fame. Not this years as they would be looking for a year to educate people about Sting meaning (probably select dates to Wrestle part time) a full 3 disk Biopic DVD, and being heavily featured on WWE Network.

Also WWE are talking about offering Colt Cabana a contract but this isn't for an in ring deal it's to become a regular face for presenting on WWE Network.

As well as KENTA, apparently Prince Devitt has also been in negotiations with WWE, but has yet to make a decision on if it will be worth moving from Ireland to USA and giving up his spot in Japan for a spot in WWE, but has apparently been told time is running out to make his choice before the offers took off the table.

If handled correctly, KENTA and Devitt could both be amazing in WWE.

I don't trust them to do so though.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:16 pm

KENTA apparently now has been offered a contract based on his tryout match at the weekend but no word on whether he is accepting yet. He's being referred to as a NOAH star, so I guess that means he hasn't signed a deal with NJPW, but they are still interested I am sure. As much as I want to see a Puro star make it in WWE I think NJPW is the place to be right now in terms of money and good booking.

Which is also why I really want to see Fergal Devitt stay in NJPW. He will almost certainly be IWGP Heavyweight Champ within the next 12 months, maybe headlining next year's Wrestle Kingdom. Again he's another guy I'd like to see make it in WWE, but his style is infinitely better suited to Japan and the prospect of an Irish world champion is too exciting for me.
Upcoming Gigs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm

For some cheer up stuff - Colt Cabana

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... z0wAMCtwl4

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Jobdone wrote:For some cheer up stuff - Colt Cabana

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... z0wAMCtwl4

I hadn't watched that series in 8 weeks, laughed my balls off at the most recent ones. Especially Kevin Steen. I actually think he's funnier than Colt, especially on commentary in PWG.

I completely didn't know that National Pro Wrestling Day was this Saturday til I watched that. The card is nowhere near as good as last year's, but at least it's streaming live this time. Shame it on at 8 in the morning GMT though.

http://nationalprowrestlingday.com/watch/
Upcoming Gigs