The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Jobdone » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:13 pm

In kinda relevant news depending on how quickly the internet sorts itself out and gets me a proxy plugin for it, the Network ppv line up is pretty slick

http://www.wwe.com/inside/every-pay-per ... k-26179147

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 pm

Still haven't watched, but looks like I'll be skipping lots of it. Another new Diva come up from NXT. Great. Why the fuck is it not Paige?

When the Shield breakup comes they'd better have good long-term booking for all three of them as singles wrestlers. They've each got their strengths (Ambrose is the strongest natural heel and the best talker of his generation) and all capable of being main event players within a year or two. If they drop the ball and bury Ambrose or Rollins then they can kiss another huge chunk of their indy fanbase goodbye.

As for pushing Titus O'Neill? That I can dig. I foresee both Big Show and Mark Henry retiring in the next 18-24 months and they need new powerhouse guys waiting in the wings. Sure Reigns is ready for that, but he's not a proper superheavyweight. The only other young competent wrestling big guy they have is Brodus Clay and they've already ruined him with that shit gimmick. And before someone says Ryback just flat out no. Complete personality vacuum, and not even Punk could carry his useless arse in a match.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Just thought, what are they going to do with Over The Edge '99, where Owen Hart died?
I just read on Wikipedia how they handled it on the PPV, but the fact that it was never released on DVD or VHS due to Hart's death, it seems like it may be a weird one to have available to view on demand..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 pm

That one, I'm not sure on. Are they just going to cut and be like "Owen Hart is dead" or what?
The Benoit ones I'm interested by. Wondering if they'll actually keep the commentary or keep it weird and blanked out like they have in multiman matches he's featured in.

Googled up some Ambrose promos earlier because I've heard stuff like "best talker of this generation" and I listened to his Art of Wrestling pod with Colt and sounded great

This I really enjoyed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClXIdwnWlnQ

And this for him being a crazy fuck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNGOY-jeYwI

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:32 am

These 3 from CZW/Dragon Gate USA are my favourite promos of his of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKlz261mL00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yBH9OBmyMY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlyZmfRLg3c

Plus this great one from his time in WWE developmental

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLcneAyWCsg

Some of his stuff in WWE has been pure gold as well. "Unless Andre The Giant's ghost is in this battle royale I'm not sweating it" was a killer line.
Upcoming Gigs

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 am

Everything on WWE Network is unedited and not PG, it's already been announced that Chris Benoit matches, interview ect will be left untouched but a parental warning to his appearance will appear I anything he's in. I'd imagine they will do the same with Over the Edge 99 put up a warning that says Owen died at this event and not to watch if sensitive...probably have a tribute graphic before the event starts aswell.

I remember watching it live , can't believe it's been 15 years. Can still remember how upset and depressed when it happened, like just staring blankly at the tv not taking in what was happening in any of the other matches. I felt the rest of the card should have been cancelled and been held on another night (like In Your House: Beware of Dog when the power went out for over an hour and half) , from what I remember The Undertaker beat Stone Cold for the title in what would normally have been classes as a decent match but nobody was into it because of Owen. The amount of respect I have for the other wrestlers after seeing their friend fall and die that night is huge especially Jeff Jarrett and Debra who had to do a promo and a match straight fighting through tears as soon as Owen had been took through the curtain, this is around the same time Jarrett, Owen and Debra had been grouped together and developed a good friendship. Very professional I don't know how they managed to go out and do what they did.
I don't know how I'll feel watching the event again, it still brings a lump to my throat just thinking about that night.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:36 am

SMACKDOWN SPOILERS FROM THE TAPING YO.
BELOW.
RIGHT NOW.

One of my big fears is gone, that Orton was going to lose to all the elimination chamber participants to try and set him up as an underdog. He beats Christian.

And we get a Cesaro/Bryan match which I'm hyped about, followed by a Kane beat down afterwards, which I'm weeping blood about.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:50 am

So Bryan is getting Punk's shitty feud, yay. Also, I think HHH was trying to kill the yes chanting by doing it himself, that can be the only possible reason after all that has happened that they come out and support him in a really condescending way.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:27 am

In news that isn't complaining, picked up my ticket for Jim Cornettes live thingy in Cardiff in Feb.

Awyus.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:55 pm

The Warlord wrote:Everything on WWE Network is unedited and not PG, it's already been announced that Chris Benoit matches, interview ect will be left untouched but a parental warning to his appearance will appear I anything he's in. I'd imagine they will do the same with Over the Edge 99 put up a warning that says Owen died at this event and not to watch if sensitive...probably have a tribute graphic before the event starts aswell.

I remember watching it live , can't believe it's been 15 years. Can still remember how upset and depressed when it happened, like just staring blankly at the tv not taking in what was happening in any of the other matches. I felt the rest of the card should have been cancelled and been held on another night (like In Your House: Beware of Dog when the power went out for over an hour and half) , from what I remember The Undertaker beat Stone Cold for the title in what would normally have been classes as a decent match but nobody was into it because of Owen. The amount of respect I have for the other wrestlers after seeing their friend fall and die that night is huge especially Jeff Jarrett and Debra who had to do a promo and a match straight fighting through tears as soon as Owen had been took through the curtain, this is around the same time Jarrett, Owen and Debra had been grouped together and developed a good friendship. Very professional I don't know how they managed to go out and do what they did.
I don't know how I'll feel watching the event again, it still brings a lump to my throat just thinking about that night.

I must have got into wrestling just after it happened. I remember hearing about it but in the days before the internet was such a widespread thing I didn't find out what happened for years.
I heard that the following episode of RAW was held as a tribute episode to him, with storylines put on hold and wrestlers only performing if they wanted to?
Will be a weird one to watch..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Some of you may be interested to know that the WWE Euroshop is currently doing a 20% off promotion on selected stuff. Also if you sign up for the newsletter and(/or, not sure if it works without signing up) use the promo code "euromail" then you get £3 off any orders over £15.

I just got a Daniel Bryan shirt for £18.10 delivered :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:56 pm

Applecore wrote:
The Warlord wrote:Everything on WWE Network is unedited and not PG, it's already been announced that Chris Benoit matches, interview ect will be left untouched but a parental warning to his appearance will appear I anything he's in. I'd imagine they will do the same with Over the Edge 99 put up a warning that says Owen died at this event and not to watch if sensitive...probably have a tribute graphic before the event starts aswell.

I must have got into wrestling just after it happened. I remember hearing about it but in the days before the internet was such a widespread thing I didn't find out what happened for years.
I heard that the following episode of RAW was held as a tribute episode to him, with storylines put on hold and wrestlers only performing if they wanted to?
Will be a weird one to watch..

Yeah an emotional night Raw is Owen was a combination of wwf superstars sharing there memory's of Owen and matches for those who wanted to perform.

Here it is... http://youtu.be/v0COWD3Tm3w
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:27 pm

http://www.wwe.com/inside/the-ring-of-honor-influence-26179913

Very interesting article. Strange they've talked to Colt though. There's talk of him being brought in as a presenter on the WWE network, but that would be such a waste of his full talents.
Upcoming Gigs

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:http://www.wwe.com/inside/the-ring-of-honor-influence-26179913

Very interesting article. Strange they've talked to Colt though. There's talk of him being brought in as a presenter on the WWE network, but that would be such a waste of his full talents.

Enjoyed that article and quite amusing in a way seeing the link to the "What if ECW hadn't of folded" article right beside it.

Nice to see WWE acknowledging and publicising ROH.

Maybe discussions regarding first choice on signing talent/library content for guys now on the WWE roster etc?

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:04 pm

ROH would be fools to hand over any content. If WWE do want to go down that route they can probably get similar quality Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro and Ambrose matches from places like PWG, IWA: MS, CZW etc. for cheaper, but there'd be no long-term benefit for ROH, especially when they will either outlast or overtake TNA within the next 18 months to become the number two company in the US.

I read that ECW article as well and that's an interesting tidbit about Vince contacting USA network during the scramble for ECW to get on another network in late 2000. Heyman reckons that is because Vince respects people who have built companies from the ground up like he did, and while ROH is now owned by a conglomerate I think Vince probably respects them more than TNA which was founded by people with serious chips on their shoulders and taken over by a family of TV lizards who don't respect the business.

The sense I get from that story is that while Vince was over the moon about crushing WCW it must've broke his heart a bit to take ECW off Paul. This article is kind of the equivalent of the Extreme Invasion angle on RAW in 1996- it helps a genuine competitor grow because that's a good business move for Vince McMahon as well. On some level I think WWE want ROH to prosper as well because so many of their current top talents have come from there, and guys like Adam Cole and The Briscoes could make great roster additions in the future.
Upcoming Gigs