The Q&A thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
peypea
Denim Demon

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby peypea » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:11 pm

I have to agree with whats been said. It's not really relevant, and some people do still have a certain mindset about heavy metal fans, so it might hurt more than anything. People at my work were pretty surprised to find out I like metal because they thought I was 'too nice for it' and that its all about murder and nasty things. Of course not everyone has that mind set, but I'd say if you want to put something like that down just say something like you're very passionate about music or something. Also to me going OMG I LIKE METAL on a cv seems a bit 'special snowflake'.
Excuse the incoherent ramblings, I'm tired.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:13 pm

peypea wrote:I have to agree with whats been said. It's not really relevant, and some people do still have a certain mindset about heavy metal fans, so it might hurt more than anything. People at my work were pretty surprised to find out I like metal because they thought I was 'too nice for it' and that its all about murder and nasty things. Of course not everyone has that mind set, but I'd say if you want to put something like that down just say something like you're very passionate about music or something. Also to me going OMG I LIKE METAL on a cv seems a bit 'special snowflake'.
Excuse the incoherent ramblings, I'm tired.

Yeah, this.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:People who know about this whole getting a job business - is putting that you like heavy metal music a good idea on a CV?

No. You stand to lose far more than you could gain by doing so. The odds of you finding a metal loving potential employer are much longer than you finding a potential employer that would be put off by it. As an employer, I can tell you that "other interests" sections on a CV are almost always ignored anyway. It's simply not relevant. Your ability to do the job isn't affected by the fact that you like metal, or are a champion hamster breeder or you enjoy abseiling in your spare time.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:37 pm

You know what made me really think about CV's was browsing that dating site, Plenty Of Fish.
So many profiles on there listed interests and activities as 'music' and 'having a laugh with my mates', 'travelling'.
And I found myself instantly bypassing every profile like that because they just sounded so boring. I don't think it's any dissimilar in the recruiting world. You've got to make yourself stand out somehow.
Putting 'interest in metal music' on your CV I wouldn't recommend because of pre-conceptions about the subject, and actually even personally knowing a lot about it, if I was recruiting and I saw that on someone's CV i'd probably just think they were a bit immature and weird, soz.
I think as far as interests are concerned, it's best to be non-generic, say you enjoy sewing, cooking *insert specific foods here*, travelling to *insert specific continents here* learning *insert specific languages here* etc.

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:03 am

I had music and music festivals on my CV and in the interview my boss (who has no interest in music at all) asked me about it. I ended up spending most of my interview talking about post and black metal.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:10 am

De Stijl wrote:I had music and music festivals on my CV and in the interview my boss (who has no interest in music at all) asked me about it. I ended up spending most of my interview talking about post and black metal.

^ Similarly, I spent a good while in my last interview talking about knitting -there was nothing on my CV but they asked me about my spare time and interests, so I told them the truth. :lol: In some ways metal could be a talking point, but I can't see how you'd frame 'metal music' on a CV to sound relevant or to reflect positively on you. Mention it in the meeting/interview if they seem relaxed and open, and you're asked about your personal interests. Otherwise leave it, I reckon.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am

Thanks for the input guys. I was just asking as all CV advice tells you to be specific about things including hobbies and interests and I wanted to put going to gigs/festivals in so all my interests didn't scream huge loner.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:42 am

Eh, I'd say put down the gigs/festival thing. Suggests you have outside interests. If they ask you about it, then elaborate.

I think people misconstrued it as you putting "I LIEK METULLLZ" somewhere for no reasons.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:46 am

I put down that I was an 'active member of a heavy metal festival community' and it didn't stop me from getting a job. However, if asked to expand on it in an interview situation, I doubt that "I talk about farts, video games and other random crap on an internet forum" would go down too well.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:56 am

I got asked what my favourite Iron Maiden album was at my last interview. I obviously answered right considering I got the job!
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Tet wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:People who know about this whole getting a job business - is putting that you like heavy metal music a good idea on a CV?

No. You stand to lose far more than you could gain by doing so. The odds of you finding a metal loving potential employer are much longer than you finding a potential employer that would be put off by it. As an employer, I can tell you that "other interests" sections on a CV are almost always ignored anyway. It's simply not relevant. Your ability to do the job isn't affected by the fact that you like metal, or are a champion hamster breeder or you enjoy abseiling in your spare time.

This basically.

Again, as someone who used to hire I can say that CVs are mostly skimmed through anyway. Keep them short, concise & unless it's relevant to the job, avoid saying as much as possible until asked.

A short interests section, included a part of a covering letter, can be decent if worded correctly. Again, keep the covering letter short & just use it to fluff up certain points within the CV.

The normal mistake I found, was that we would get 3 page essays on their exploits or interests & rarely had the time or inclination to read it all.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:A short interests section, included a part of a covering letter.

Nooooo. The covering letter is a piece of purely professional correspondence regarding the vacancy and why you want to fill it, surely?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:09 pm

Cover letters are basically "I am available for that advertised job on this date. CV attached. Cheerio", written in more formal terms.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:
Tet wrote:

This basically.

Again, as someone who used to hire I can say that CVs are mostly skimmed through anyway. Keep them short, concise & unless it's relevant to the job, avoid saying as much as possible until asked.

A short interests section, included a part of a covering letter, can be decent if worded correctly. Again, keep the covering letter short & just use it to fluff up certain points within the CV.

The normal mistake I found, was that we would get 3 page essays on their exploits or interests & rarely had the time or inclination to read it all.

This section is literally 3 lines right at the bottom - i'm well aware no one cares that much about it. I just want to get it right!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm

siliconfury wrote:Cover letters are basically "I am available for that advertised job on this date. CV attached. Cheerio", written in more formal terms.
Fjar wrote:
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:A short interests section, included a part of a covering letter.

Nooooo. The covering letter is a piece of purely professional correspondence regarding the vacancy and why you want to fill it, surely?

You might as well quote the whole sentence I wrote at least. :rolleyes:

"I'm here, gimme the job"
"This is why I would be good for this job" (outside of any basic info on CV)
"Why I think I am the best person" (might include interests due to position applied for)
"Contact me, or I'll break your kneecaps"

CV, basic info. Covering letter, fluff.

You can highlight your achievements & history in a CV with ease, but a simple covering letter can target a basic CV to a specific job with just a few quick edits. May have been a very personal thing for me, but I found it of greater help when having to trawl through 100+ CVs every Christmas.