The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Not all that surprising but still a shame. He was brilliant as viscera.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:30 pm

Last I saw of him when he was in AJPW he'd dropped a good bit of the weight, certainly a long way from when he debuted in WWF as Mabel. I guess it wasn't enough though. Big man or not 43 is no age to go at.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Just been reading that apparently the Sting/WWE deal is very close to finalised, and it is the WWE that is taking it's time finishing it off.

Here's a potential scenario I can see for a Sting debut:
* Taker faces Lesnar as planned. Taker wins (of course) but maybe by the tightest of margins that he has to date (maybe even a school boy after escaping an F5 or something). Lesnar then beats down Taker post-match for a minute or two before the lights cut out.

When they come back on you could do one of two things:
Either 1) Have Sting be in ring (w/trademark baseball bat) and have him run Lesnar off before having a staredown with Taker)
or 2) Lesnar is mysteriously laid out when the lights come up, and you debut Sting further down the line.

Bearstock
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bearstock » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:48 pm

Sad news about Viscera, R.I.P.

Sting to WWE needs to happen but he also needs to get back to his peak whatever that may currently be.

They've been making numerous WWE.Com articles about Sting so it does indeed seem a mere formality.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:51 pm

I'd say they'd probably go for the latter option there. There should be a really long and slow build-up to the streak match at WM31. Having Sting appear on the night would just be throwing it out there too quickly with no mystique. The plan I've heard anyway is to use the Network to educate fans who know nothing about Sting first. It's also a great chance to bring some mystique back to the character which lets face it, never got captured properly in TNA.

In other news, Cody knows his shit when it comes to Indy guys.

Adam Cole vs Cody Rhodes would be fucking incredible.
Upcoming Gigs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Matty - ever watched Dragon Gate? One of my mates has pointed me in its direction. Wondering where to start (very little of it on the source I've been using).
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:34 pm

I saw Dragon Gate when they came to Nottingham in 2011. It was ace; I hope they come back at some point. While the production wasn't nearly as polished, the technical wrestling was a lot better quality than WWE and it was a fraction of the price of a WWE show.

PAC (Benjamin Satterly) was with them at that point, before he moved to NXT under the name Adrian Neville. He was awesome.

I seem to remember Shingo Takagi and Cima being really good too.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm

I haven't watched the Japan-based Dragon Gate as much. Some great talents in it (Matt Sydal/Evan Bourne is another of their gaijin that has gone on to WWE) but I find their shows a bit dull to watch sometimes because the crowds in Japan tend to be so silent. You get that in all Japanese wrestling but with NJPW/AJPW and occasionally in NOAH in the bigger halls and arenas it's not so bad. With the Japanese indies it's like watching a training video.

There's a sister company called Dragon Gate: USA though which I love. They have a few of the Japanese stars on most shows like Yamato or one of the Jimmys, but mostly it's top US indy guys. DG: USA and EVOLVE are both owned by Gabe Sapolsky who used to book for ROH, and he's also promoting the old FIP titles to get them back on their feet so there's a lot of crossover between them- Gabe describes it as being like Raw and Smackdown. Two different franchises of the same group basically.

It actually kind of sucks because EVOLVE when it started had this novel points ranking system as a way of presenting wrestling in an almost MMA way, but the quality of the wrestling is still great. It has a little bit of everything- comedy, lucha, puro, catch-as-catch-can...
Upcoming Gigs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:52 pm

Ah ok, I think it's DG:USA that I've stumbled across. Had a feeling it'd be different when I noticed the "USA" in the name :lol:

I have a feeling it was the Japanese one I was told to watch, because Al mentioned the silent crowds as one of the only down points.

On an unrelated note, it seems Vince McMahon has finally spoken up about CM Punk's disappearance, though only to say something along the lines of "let's just call it a sabbatical". I also heard somewhere that the signs you see in the crowd aren't always home made, and apparently promoters hand them out in the queues? No idea how accurate that is for WWE, but it did make me think..
I've noticed a few CM Punk signs in the crowd - surely if he's left, WWE wouldn't be allowing them into the arenas (much like a less extreme version of Axl saying he didn't want anyone in a Slash shirt at the last G'n'R UK tour)? Or are they allowing them in to keep the buzz going that he might return?
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:43 pm

The promoters getting randomners to hold up signs they've made is a myth started by that show "secrets of pro wrestling" or whatever it was called. You can find it on Youtube. As for allowing Punk signs, do you think WWE would have the time or money to have people check all 15-18 thousand people going into the arena? It's always been that way, think about some of the classic signs over the years that should have been confiscated but weren't. "VINCE FEARS ECW!", "MIKE TENAY IS THE GODFATHER OF GAY MIDGET LUCHA LIBRE", that cunt who made the "LOOK UP- BLUE BLAZER!" sign last year etc.
Upcoming Gigs

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 pm

A fair point. I've seen that show, and I think that must have been where I got the idea from.
Plus thinking about it again, if they banhammered CM Punk signs, it would have created even more buzz about his leaving and would more or less confirm that he's gone for good.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:52 pm

Hulk hogan is confirmed as the host of wrestlemania.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:55 pm

CrappyMike wrote:Hulk hogan is confirmed as the host of wrestlemania, brother!

FYP
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:25 am

WRESTLEAHULAMANIASRUNNIGWILDBROTHER

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:03 am

I wonder which match will get cut whenever he rambles on for too long. Still, it will be good for business having him do a lot of the promotional stuff.

Anyway. What happens when you get a severely short-sighted tough Texas cowboy and a 450 pound behemoth from rival companies in Japan, book them to a double countout, but still neither guy wants to make his company look weak by not working stiff?

Answer- Stan Hansen detaches one of Vader's fucking eyeballs 2 minutes into the match and rather than pussy out the big man pushes it back in and wrestles for another 15 minutes with headbutts, getting rammed face-first into the ringpost and full force elbows from an opponent who has literally no depth perception. I'm amazed he didn't lose that eye in this match, but still, its not for the squeamish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8sqt1WgGCI

Also, I was talking about Ambrose cutting great promos a few pages back. Here's a cracker from 2010;

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1013307_709101709132475_180986573_n.jpg
Upcoming Gigs