movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:00 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Don't take this personally as this is directed at a vast amount of people, but why continue watching films by a director you know you don't like? Especially one who refuses to change his style, regardless of the subject matter.
I know you say it's to see what all the fuss is about (as is the same argument for most people), but surely after three or four films, you should realise it's not going to be your cup of tea, no matter how much fuss surrounds it.

With respects to Tarantino, I watched Reservoir Dogs when it first came out (admittedly this was on a bootleg video and not the best quality) and I didn't enjoy it at all. I watched Pulp Fiction at a friend's house waiting for a boxing match to come on, someone recommended me Kill Bill so I gave it a shot (as not liking 2 films weren't at the time enough to put me off watching anything else by someone) and didn't mind it ( at least not the first part...the second dragged on).

I only watched Death Proof as it came as part of the Grindhouse set and I really enjoyed the other half (Planet Terror). I honestly think Death Proof is one of the most awful films I've ever seen. I then re-watched Pulp Fiction (as I think I'd nodded off during it the previous time truth be told). I did this because I was attempting to watch the IMDB top 100. I didn't bother with IB (and I think it's dropped out of the IMDB 100!) but got drawn to Django as other people I knew who didn't like Tarantino were saying nice things about it.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Soze wrote:I watched Reservoir Dogs when it first came out (admittedly this was on a bootleg video and not the best quality) and I didn't enjoy it at all.)

Same here actually. Bootleg video around a mate's house. Difference was that we both loved it, despite the shonky quality.
We saw Pulp Fiction at the cinema with a few other mates and girlfriends and everyone loved it, despite one the girlfriends annoying the fuck out of everyone by asking "who's that?". "who's she?", "Who's he?", and "why's he done that?" every five fucking minutes.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:54 pm

I don't really think of Tarantino as a creative genius. I think of him as a big kid making films of shit he likes and he throws in lots of other shit he likes into the film with pretty much no consideration for the audience.

The results for me tend to vary between entertainingly silly (Django) to interesting at times but overall pretty boring (Pulp Fiction).
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:56 pm

Setting off soon for Nymphomaniac parts 1 and 2, and then Only Lovers Left Alive right after. I'm going be shattered by the time they've all done with.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Complaining about nymphomaniacs tiring you out?

Owen
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Owen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:07 pm

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

8/10

Jesus Christ that was upsetting.
Turbo wrote:Got to be honest, in comparison to pizza you can get take away or at restaurants - shop bought pizza is shit. Had another doner kebab pizza today. Shit is off the fucking chain.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:14 pm

The Lego Movie - holy fuck that is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. It looks like actual Lego pieces but the cgi is just perfect. And the end sequence.......deserves an award. I rarely rate a film so highly but 11/10 for the pure brilliance of the whole movie.

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:13 am

Thor : Dark World

Love it, awesome film.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:21 am

Spirited Away... Was the film I watched last night!

Ahem.

It was pretty good, this is like my 6th time watching it from the first time when I was 13 but I've finally got around to understanding the symbolism of childhood and the concept of the character no-face (he acts as a metaphor for the impressionability of children) and the train ride (which represents growing up). It's actually much more than a good story and interesting universe, and so it sparked my attention once more.

Give Spirited Away a watch if you haven't and then Howel's Moving Castle if you haven't seen that either.

Anyway: I have a friend who HATES with Tarantino and his films with a passion - which annoys me because if no-one ever spoke of him she wouldn't care. I'm just wondering if there's anyone else disliking the films simply because they were so hyped up? I watched Pulp Fiction before I knew who directed it and a good while after it was first released so the hype didn't really affect my viewing.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 am

skull-wart wrote:Spirited Away... Was the film I watched last night!

Ahem.

It was pretty good, this is like my 6th time watching it from the first time when I was 13 but I've finally got around to understanding the symbolism of childhood and the concept of the character no-face (he acts as a metaphor for the impressionability of children) and the train ride (which represents growing up). It's actually much more than a good story and interesting universe, and so it sparked my attention once more.

Give Spirited Away a watch if you haven't and then Howel's Moving Castle if you haven't seen that either.

Good aul Miyazaki. I still have to see this, and many of his other films. But I'd like to add Princess Mononoke to this list of recommendations, because it's brilliant!
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Watched Robocop 2 last night, for the first time in about eight years.

Appalling acting, the stop-motion effects are awful, and I fucking HATE the music score.
Nice and bloody though since they reinstated the more violent footage for DVD.
5/10

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:20 pm

I quite like the second film. It is an awful script and the original version Frank Miller wrote (and is now a comic book) is far superior. I wish they'd made that instead.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:53 am

I like 2 but actually prefer the trainwreck that is 3 over it. 3 is just completely stupid and loads of fun. Plus robo-ninjas.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 am

I'm going to hold my nose and try that one again tonight. Haven't seen that one for years either.
I'm not expecting it to have improved like a fine wine.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:03 pm

On the Tarantino front:

Reservoir Dogs - 5/5
Pulp Fiction - 4/5
Jackie Brown - Not seen
Kill Bill Vol. 1&2 - 3/5 - I always mix up which I liked more than the other - it is 3 and 3.5 one way or another.
Death Proof - 3/5
Inglourious Basterds - 5/5
Django Unchained - 4/5 - could have been better if QT hadn't popped up with that ridiculous accent and the ending that's 20 minutes too long.