movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Reservoir Dogs - 4/5
Pulp Fiction - 4/5
Jackie Brown - Not seen
Kill Bill Vol. 1 - 3.5/5
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - 2/5. Poorly paced. Too much in the first, not enough in the second, and fantastically anti climatic ending.
Death Proof - 2.5/5
Inglourious Basterds - 4/5
Django Unchained - 5/5 - Possibly one of my favourite movies ever. Ridiculous when it needs to be, serious when it needs to be. There's moments of insane over the top gore like the first scene with the exploding heads and shit, but that's juxtaposed against things like the cotton field. Hit every note for me.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:37 pm

I watched the third Transformers movie last night, and I actually didn't hate it. I love a bit of Megan Fox but Rosie Huntington whatsherface isn't too bad to look at! :lol:

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:20 pm

Watched Robocop 3 again.
Jesus, I'd forgotten just how bad it was.

Basically just moments from the first film recreated in slightly different ways and stitched together with a shit story, awful bad guys and some terrible effects. Not even reinstating the original music score could save it. The whole thing just looked and sounded desperate.
4/10

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:55 pm

Watched Oldboy. That was the worst thing ever! I literally threw my remote in anger in how ridiculous the ending was -10/10, shite.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm

Cthulhu
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Cthulhu » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:33 pm

In theory i'm ecstatically excited about this movie, used to watch the 50's and 60's movies as a kid...but in practice i've already been let down by American attempts to portray Godzilla and feel a little uneasy about this film.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Delightful-Jim wrote:Rule #1 of the bloodstock forums : If it exists, someone here will despise it.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 pm

I'm going to try and not see the trailer before I see the film. It's a new thing I'm trying with Action and comedy films because the best bits are usually in the trailer.

I might watch Castle Freak tonight. Never seen it.
I see the bad moon arising.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:43 am

Cthulhu wrote:

In theory i'm ecstatically excited about this movie, used to watch the 50's and 60's movies as a kid...but in practice i've already been let down by American attempts to portray Godzilla and feel a little uneasy about this film.

It looks pretty good. It's directed by the guy who wrote/directed Monsters and it's got the mighty Bryan Cranston in it. Visually it looks great and they seem to be following in the Japanese films foot steps.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:39 am

ish42 wrote:
Ghost wrote:I might watch Castle Freak tonight. Never seen it.

Have a copy of that kicking about somewhere. Let me know if it's worth a watch!

From what I recall it's a decent monster flick. Same director and star as Re-Animator (in fact based on a Lovecraft story, too). Haven't re-watched since my first viewing over a year ago, mind..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:59 am

Another flick through the old DVD collection last night resulted in me watching the 2002 remake of Manhunter, Red Dragon. The second season of Hannibal starting in just a couple of days may also have led me to this choice.

Although more faithful to the source material than Michael Mann's 1986 take on the story, it fails as much as it succeeds. Philip Seymour Hoffman is (was) hopelessly miscast as sleazy reporter Freddy Lounds, and Ralph Fiennes doesn't fare much better as the Tooth Fairy. Hoffman could do many things, but being a believable, vile sleazebag just wasn't one of them. He shone while desperately trying to save himself from the angered Tooth Fairy, but that was the only moment where you could really connect with him. Personally, I think he would have been a much better choice as the Tooth Fairy rather than the buff and good looking (even with a cleft palate) Fiennes who played a character who couldn't stand the sight of himself. The strange looking Tom Noonan was, and always will be, the perfect choice for that character.

Ed Norton made a good Will Graham but Anthony Hopkins swerved all over the place as Lecter, playing him brilliantly one moment and then mercilessly chewing scenery for the sake of it the next. Hearing him ruin the same lines that Brian Cox spoke so well in Manunter is jarring and almost painful in places.

I liked the inclusion of Dolarhyde eating Blake's painting, and the final scene at Graham's house was well done, but some scenes just fell flat. Namely when Dolarhyde arranges for Reba to stroke the sedated tiger, and where Lounds is strapped, burning to the wheelchair. Mann's versions of these scenes were just superior in every way.

Overall though, a decent, more faithful adaptation but let down by hammy acting, some erroneous casting, and an overall lack of style.

7/10

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:08 am

ish42 wrote:

I wasn't that keen on it to be honest but then having also checked out the Beyond I think the Re-animator is the only Stuart Gordon film I like.

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:54 pm

Ghost wrote:
ish42 wrote:

I wasn't that keen on it to be honest but then having also checked out the Beyond I think the Re-animator is the only Stuart Gordon film I like.

Crumbs!I like most of his stuff-especially Dagon.Dolls and King Of The Ants are pretty good if you haven't seen them(which you probably have!)

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Yep saw King of Ants a few years ago, can't remember anything about it though. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:13 am

The Way Way Back

A mopey kid mopes around at his family's beach house, gets himself a job at a water park and, after what seems to be an eternity, becomes slightly less mopey. However, as he becomes less mopey, his family become twice as mopey to compensate. The kid then becomes twice as mopey as he was before and that's when I lost my will to live.
Watch Sam Rockwell and Jim Rash's scenes and ignore everything else.
Or just don't bother.
Whatever.
4/10

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 am

Darkweasel wrote:The Way Way Back

A mopey kid mopes around at his family's beach house, gets himself a job at a water park and, after what seems to be an eternity, becomes slightly less mopey. However, as he becomes less mopey, his family become twice as mopey to compensate. The kid then becomes twice as mopey as he was before and that's when I lost my will to live.
Watch Sam Rockwell and Jim Rash's scenes and ignore everything else.
Or just don't bother.
Whatever.
4/10

You're so wrong it hurts, it was one of the best films of last year