The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Bisset
Denim Demon

Re: The Book thread

Postby Bisset » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Powering my way through my re-read of Way of Kings, seeing as "Words of Radiance" is out on Sunday
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 am

Well Stormlight Archive 2: Words of Radiance was phenomenal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

SpecialForces
Powermetal Child

Postby SpecialForces » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Recently finished Melmoth the Wanderer and now started Salem's Lot :)

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:32 pm

I'm easing myself back into reading after a long sabbatical since finishing uni, starting off light with Turbulent Priests by Colin Bateman. The plot is basically an alcoholic journalist/novelist moves his family to a remote island off the north coast of Ireland to investigate a local catholic sect's claims that the second coming of Christ has happened. And it's a girl. Aside from a little bit of infanticide it's a complete bundle of laughs.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:22 pm

Started the Time Machine by Wells after a long time of wanting to but Christ it's like being back in English lessons at college trying to decipher the 18th Century Prescriptivism again. So many archaic words and overly complicated sentences.
Still waiting for the cool bit where he travels further into time to come because at the minute he's just being greeted by some peaceful alien types.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:46 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I'm easing myself back into reading after a long sabbatical since finishing uni, starting off light with Turbulent Priests by Colin Bateman. The plot is basically an alcoholic journalist/novelist moves his family to a remote island off the north coast of Ireland to investigate a local catholic sect's claims that the second coming of Christ has happened. And it's a girl. Aside from a little bit of infanticide it's a complete bundle of laughs.

I've read a few of his books after seeing the film of Divorcing Jack - good fun.

Just read Greg Graffin's sort-of-autobiography: Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God, which was a good read, as was Robert Harris' An Officer and A Spy.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 pm

I did an English degree so I always had to be able to go between reading styles depending if it was a literary text or criticism, but the final year was just so intense that it was hard to relax when reading for so long. Studying and writing about Ullyses in depth is enough to put anyone off books for a while.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Picked up Metro 2033 earlier this week, not really started it yet, but I loved the "Last Light" game sequel thing, so I'm hoping the books are just as good.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:54 pm

After finishing the Wheel of Time series, I blitzed through The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb, as well the first few Dune books.

Kind of at a bit of a loss for what to read next. I have The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) ready to go, though I'll probably get frustrated with their only being one other book in the series available.

In other words... anyone got any recommendations for complete (or lengthy, if incomplete) series?

I'm up to date with GoT and have read The Hobbit, LOTR, and Julian May's Rampart Worlds trilogy, as well as a number of Discworld books.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:In other words... anyone got any recommendations for complete (or lengthy, if incomplete) series?

Brent Weeks' "Night angel" trilogy
Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Shadows of the apt" series
Gail Z Martin's "Chronicles of the necromancer" series (that one's a bit more lightweight)
Last edited by Tet on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:36 pm

gandalf the red wrote:I take it you like Fantasy. Have you tried Michael Moorcock? They are well worth a try.

Yup, and Sci-Fi.

I have read The History of the Runestaff (very good!) though nothing else of his.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 pm

Tet wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:In other words... anyone got any recommendations for complete (or lengthy, if incomplete) series?

Brent Weeks' "Night angel" trilogy
Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Shadows of the apt" series
Gail Z Martin's "Chronicles of the necromancer" series (that one's a bit more lightweight)

I shall look into these. Ta.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:40 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Yup, and Sci-Fi.

In which case, I'd add Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's war" series. And you didn't mention whether you'd read Hobb's "Liveship traders" trilogy. If not, I'd add those to the list too.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:14 pm

Tet wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Yup, and Sci-Fi.

In which case, I'd add Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's war" series. And you didn't mention whether you'd read Hobb's "Liveship traders" trilogy. If not, I'd add those to the list too.

Thanks again. I've not read Liveship Traders Trilogy or the Rain Wilds Chronicles so I guess I could start on them.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:After finishing the Wheel of Time series, I blitzed through The Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man Trilogy by Robin Hobb, as well the first few Dune books.

Kind of at a bit of a loss for what to read next. I have The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss) ready to go, though I'll probably get frustrated with their only being one other book in the series available.

In other words... anyone got any recommendations for complete (or lengthy, if incomplete) series?

I'm up to date with GoT and have read The Hobbit, LOTR, and Julian May's Rampart Worlds trilogy, as well as a number of Discworld books.

Brandon Sanderson - The Way of Kings (Stormlight archibes)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn: The Final Empire
Steven Erikson - Gardens of the Moon (Malazan series)
Raymond Feist - Magician (Riftwar Saga)
Steven Hall - The Raw Shark Texts