Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby WorMzy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:00 pm

I've been enjoying Project Zomboid lately. It's a surprisingly well designed game, with a difficulty curve that sneaks up on you (no spoilers) similar to that you would expect during a "real" zombie apocalypse. If you run about like an idiot, you'll attract hoards of zombies and over exert yourself, meaning you'll probably die. If you smash a window or knock down a door to break into a house, you'll attract hoards of zombies, meaning you'll probably die. If you go about shooting unmuffled weapons, you'll attract hoards... well, you probably get the idea. I'm on my fifth character now, I think. :lol:

Been playing a lot of OpenXcom too -- an open source* implementation/enhanced version of the original X-Com (aka UFO: Enemy Unknown in the UK).

I'm hoping that a new version of Dwarf Fortress will drop in the next few weeks. Toady One has been teasing one since the start of 2014, claiming this will be a year of many DF releases, and has been making a lot of references to an upcoming release in his dev blog. Since it's been almost two years (!!) since the last release, I'm really looking forward to seeing how much has changed. :D

*you still need a copy of the closed source data files, which you can buy on steam/gog/etc
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:16 pm

Dark Souls II is brilliant :D Finally downloading it on my platform of choice but got to make a character while I was in Ireland on my brother's 360.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Thu May 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Turbo wrote:I have had Saints Row 4, but refuse to play it until my backlog of games is complete. Did manage to get the Season Pass for cheap. Now just need THQ to release SR3s dlc at something that isn't £13. Put a decimal place between the 1 and the 3 and I'd be happy to download that.

Are you on Xbox? Saints Row 3 is going to be this months second "Game with Gold" so the DLC may be reduced at that time.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu May 01, 2014 9:00 pm

kanet666 wrote:
Turbo wrote:I have had Saints Row 4, but refuse to play it until my backlog of games is complete. Did manage to get the Season Pass for cheap. Now just need THQ to release SR3s dlc at something that isn't £13. Put a decimal place between the 1 and the 3 and I'd be happy to download that.

Are you on Xbox? Saints Row 3 is going to be this months second "Game with Gold" so the DLC may be reduced at that time.

Sweet. Yep! I should add you on xbox live, if you don't mind of course.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Turbo wrote:
kanet666 wrote:

Sweet. Yep! I should add you on xbox live, if you don't mind of course.

I don't mind at all! It would be kind of ridiculous if I included it in my sig and then told people they couldn't :lol:
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu May 01, 2014 9:33 pm

Sound, next time I am on ill add ya. :yes:

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu May 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Saints row 3 as game for gold? Meh. Still better than anything PS Plus has given me right enough.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu May 01, 2014 9:43 pm

I co-op the Saints Row series and I think potentially its the most fun games I have ever played. However I haven't had the opportunity to Co-op GTA5 with people I know so watch this space. I think I preferred the activities in Saints Row 2 to Saints Row 3. Kinda hope some of them return for Saints Row 4.

Co-op makes the world of difference though. Take Crackdown, not a great game but when me and my mate were playing through it, hours flew by on it.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu May 01, 2014 10:07 pm

The series took a downhill turn with 3 IMO and 4 just... The less said about 4 the better. 1 and 2 are among my favourite games.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri May 02, 2014 3:05 pm

Ah I love them for how stupid they are.

Playing Sleeping Dogs at the moment. I did start the game in February but with my mate coming over armed with GTA5 it kinda got thrown to the touchline a bit. So yeah I restarted it, and I am not entirely sure if I like it that much, it has had some really good stand out moments, so I think ill say its a reasonable game. Still an absolute bastard to drive on the left, started to driving on the pavement and the law keep coming after me after squashing some old lady on her way home from picking up some groceries.

Hoping to have it more or less completed by tonight. Mates invited us around his place for burgers and game night. They play Die Guilde which is just not my type of game at all. Bored me to tears the last time. Thanks to xbox live I have more than my fair share of games to get through tonight.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 02, 2014 7:49 pm

Sleeping dogs was good, but not outstanding in any way. I enjoyed the combat, and the rarity of guns. Didn't enjoy the driving. Story was decent enough.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Fri May 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Played a few hours of DSII online... UNF!

Dem dedicated servers m8!
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat May 03, 2014 1:38 am

Finally reached level 100 in GTA online. Heists should be out by the end of the month, plus the ability to own multiple properties. Which is what's needed to keep me playing because there is very little left now for me, I have 10 customised cars so another 10 car garage gives me something to work at. The money is just adding up every night now with nothing to buy except ammo and sometimes a new colour scheme for one of my cars (which admittedly with paint wheel paint and tire smoke can cost up to $50k) I need a reason to work for my money again.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat May 03, 2014 9:10 am

CrappyMike wrote:Heists should be out by the end of the month

Oh, that thing that was meant to be out at launch? :lol: R* had a great idea on paper, but the real thing wasn't spectacular in any way. Looking back, I think I enjoyed RDR multiplayer more.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat May 03, 2014 11:25 am

CrappyMike wrote:Sleeping dogs was good, but not outstanding in any way. I enjoyed the combat, and the rarity of guns. Didn't enjoy the driving. Story was decent enough.

Aye have completed it now, but my game froze before I was awarded to achievement so I am going to quickly go on in a bit and make that shit finished. Then I want to complete Dead Rising 2 - but my co-op partner suffered a bereavement on Tuesday, so I may start something new. Assassins Creed Brotherhood or something or level 100 on GTA5.