Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
sugarmouse
Warrior of Metal

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby sugarmouse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:55 am

Deal!! :D

I'm not saying I'd be thrilled if I found a black widow in my knickers/bed/hair

But in the UK where I know they're not able to harm me, I don't find them scary at all.
We're all ****ed. It helps to remember this.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 am

Black Widows are choirboys compared to Brown Recluses :-P

sugarmouse
Warrior of Metal

Postby sugarmouse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 am

Yes, pretty sure I wouldn't cuddle up with one of those, either!

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:31 am

sugarmouse wrote:Aww I LOVE spiders!Amazing little things. Who can spin silk out their bum?!

So today I wakes up and go to my laptop, aaaad It's got a big crack down't screen. Not a physical crack, but all screen is distorted. Despite being the shittest person in the world when combined with technology,I know I haven't dropped it/stood on it/been sick on it, this time. I haven't done ANYTHING to it, I've only had th bl00dy thing a week.

Call geek friend and he says it may be a manufacturer fault. So I take it back to where I got it and they in essence say I'm lying, I must have damaged it myself-looks like It's taken a bang. Grrrr.

I've called up my bank 'cause I paid on credit card, and they say I may be able to claim on sales of goods act. Waiting game now I guess!Back to using my olde tatty netbook!

Take it back again and don't take no for an answer. Within the first six months you should get a repair or replacement, unless they can prove you damaged it. Prove, not assume. Ask to speak to a manager :yes:

sugarmouse
Warrior of Metal

Postby sugarmouse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks-I should have done that, you're right.

To be honest I was pretty upset and annoyed, when he dismissed it 'It wasn't like that when you bought it so It's your fault'....Wasn't up to confrontation.. So I told him I would contact the manufacturer and left. My friend told me that under sales of goods act I can ask my bank to contact them and claim my money back or a replacement. I won't leave it, though, I'm very annoyed about it. The bank are sending me a form to fill in and then they're contacting them.

I've needed a new one for ages and I struggle with buying things for myself, always feel as if I should save the money, it was a big deal for me to spend it and then this happened a few days later.

I can see why they assume I've damaged it myself, though. Ive no way of proving I haven't banged it.But then, they can't prove I have, either.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 am

You only need to prove you didn't damage after 6 months, by law. You would then have to prove the fault was present at the time of purchase. After a week though its a clear cut case. If there is no physical damage to the outside of the screen and no marks showing its been dropped they have no basis for refusing to repair or replace the laptop. I work in a shop so I know how some people can be with trying to save the company every penny they can, but this just sounds like crap customer service... Hope you get it all sorted anyway :yes:

sugarmouse
Warrior of Metal

Postby sugarmouse » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks Mike, I didn't know that about the 6 months thing. Think I need to get me some more life skills. I might call them and tell them what I'm planning on doing, and see if they can compromise some. They said they would repair it for me if I wanted , at a cost of £320 just slightly more than what I paid for it! How nice of them.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:36 am

So bunker day is today as it would appear, they were just setting up the scaffolding yesterday. They just started up what sounds like the back of the house so I may be able to get away with opening the windows for the bedroom/living room/WC/kitchen but I just can't be sure. Apparently quite warm outside, and it's really cool in here, I guess that's a plus point.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:44 pm

My copy of Final Fantasy 7 is about done for. I think the discs must have got loose in the case at some point aa they're all scratched. I've managed to get up to the chocobo farm on disc 1 before hitting problems. Some random battles on the world map hang for a bit before the battle scene is generated, but one or two don't make it past the screen blur stage.

*sigh* To ebay...
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm

Noodle wrote:My copy of Final Fantasy 7 is about done for. I think the discs must have got loose in the case at some point aa they're all scratched. I've managed to get up to the chocobo farm on disc 1 before hitting problems. Some random battles on the world map hang for a bit before the battle scene is generated, but one or two don't make it past the screen blur stage.

*sigh* To ebay...

This game still gets regular playthroughs from me. Definitely my favourite game of all time, and is pretty much the reason why I still use my PS2.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:48 pm

Bored, time for Häppchen.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:11 am

Noodle wrote:My copy of Final Fantasy 7 is about done for. I think the discs must have got loose in the case at some point aa they're all scratched. I've managed to get up to the chocobo farm on disc 1 before hitting problems. Some random battles on the world map hang for a bit before the battle scene is generated, but one or two don't make it past the screen blur stage.

*sigh* To ebay...

Might be worth trying a Skipdoctor on them - that's unfucked a fair few CDs and DVDs for me. Can lend you mine if you like.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:46 am

I've found another copy on ebay for 15 quid, but having a go at unfucking my current copy certainly can't do any more harm! Yes please
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:39 pm

OK. PM me and we can sort something out.

Or you're feeling impatient, you could try the toothpaste trick:

http://www.wikihow.com/Repair-a-CD-With-Toothpaste

(geekier explanation: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/geeks-weig ... hpaste-nb/)
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Done my 2.5 hours of misery, now what to do. COD zombies, get beer, worship Satan?

All of the above after that filthy foreigns I have been learning. Firstly I need a coffee, 10 sugars.