Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm

That's why I didn't post anything in the RIP section. Maybe I'm not used to sensitive people.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:07 pm

Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:21 pm

There's a difference between people being sensitive and people showing respect for those who've had an impact on their lives.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:29 pm

Also the fact that it's incredibly hard to read tone over the internet.

It didn't come across as a joke when first read, just you being a bit of a dick.

Purple n Batty
Consort of the Beast

Postby Purple n Batty » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Beardy wouldn't let me facepaint him on Sunday night. I tried a few times. :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Applecore wrote:There's a difference between people being sensitive and people showing respect for those who've had an impact on their lives.

Now I'm not saying that.

If I went out to the pub tonight then I know I will get told loads of jokes about Robin Williams. I've already seen plenty of them over the internet without even trying to find them. People might tut or rolleyes, but no one will get offended. That's the sort of people I'm used to.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Just got curious about the smackhead part tbh. I disagree with calling suicide vehemently selfish though. Often the bad thought patterns operate in such a way where they're telling you that it's kinder to remove yourself from the lives of people you love to stop being a burden.

Who knows, basically. Depression is complicated shit.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:42 pm

I don't understand how suicide is selfish at all. :? It's not as if he wanted to do it. That's how mental illnesses work, isn't it?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:53 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:If I went out to the pub tonight then I know I will get told loads of jokes about Robin Williams. I've already seen plenty of them over the internet without even trying to find them. People might tut or rolleyes, but no one will get offended. That's the sort of people I'm used to.

Thing is though, those jokes tend to have set ups and punchlines.

Not just "HAH SELFISH SMACKHEAD".

That just seems like a random attack on a person that's surprisingly close to a lot of peoples heart for a celebrity.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:15 pm

Jobdone wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If I went out to the pub tonight then I know I will get told loads of jokes about Robin Williams. I've already seen plenty of them over the internet without even trying to find them. People might tut or rolleyes, but no one will get offended. That's the sort of people I'm used to.

Thing is though, those jokes tend to have set ups and punchlines.

Not just "HAH SELFISH SMACKHEAD".

That just seems like a random attack on a person that's surprisingly close to a lot of peoples heart for a celebrity.

The selfish smackhead part wasn't a joke. It's well known he was a hard drug user. If you take drugs then be prepared to pay the consequences, but other people shouldn't suffer.

I've seen other people post offensive stuff on here. Or is it only offensive if it's a celebrity that you personally like? I bet you were all posting jokes about Michael Jackson for example.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:18 pm

What?

Your whole thing was "I'm used to people not caring about offensive jokes"

But the offensive part wasn't a joke apparently.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:27 pm

It's offensive because you're being an ignorant prick about people who suffer from depression, drug abuse, and those who have lost lives or loved ones from suicide.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:28 pm

Genuinely interested though, where's the bit about Robin Williams using drugs in recent years?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Jobdone wrote:What?

Your whole thing was "I'm used to people not caring about offensive jokes"

But the offensive part wasn't a joke apparently.

I am used to people telling offensive jokes. I've certainly seen you post material that some people would find offensive. Most of us don't have a problem with that and have a chuckle.

But I've got no sympathy for a drug addict killing himself. It was his decision to take drugs. Now three people don't have a father. It's them I have sympathy for.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:37 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
But I've got no sympathy for a drug addict killing himself. It was his decision to take drugs. Now three people don't have a father. It's them I have sympathy for.

Quit drugs in the 80s, apparently. Granted, he struggled with alcoholism but there's nothing to suggest this was related to that so far.