Vickie on the Jasta Show

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:04 am

No. He's an arsehole crybaby. Who has no place being at a Heavy Metal festival. They only get booked because they are personal friends with the organisers.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby cthulhu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:No. He's an arsehole crybaby. Who has no place being at a Heavy Metal festival. They only get booked because they are personal friends with the organisers.

Clearly the fact they drew some of the biggest crowds each year they've played suggests they have every place at the festival...i consider them mediocre and highly fucking boring but if metal people at a metal festival are turning up in the majority to see them and twice at that i'm sorry but they've got a place at the festival...doesn't stop me fucking off to second stage/the camp site for their set though.

Equally how do you know they're friends with the organisers? Is there a story behind that or something that i've not heard yet? I'm just trying to work out how a white trash band from Connecticut would have encountered a wealthy family of British land owners.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:38 pm

cthulhu wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:No. He's an arsehole crybaby. Who has no place being at a Heavy Metal festival. They only get booked because they are personal friends with the organisers.

Clearly the fact they drew some of the biggest crowds each year they've played suggests they have every place at the festival...i consider them mediocre and highly fucking boring but if metal people at a metal festival are turning up in the majority to see them and twice at that i'm sorry but they've got a place at the festival...doesn't stop me fucking off to second stage/the camp site for their set though.

Equally how do you know they're friends with the organisers? Is there a story behind that or something that i've not heard yet? I'm just trying to work out how a white trash band from Connecticut would have encountered a wealthy family of British land owners.


Just because they are popular doesn't mean they fit in. The amount of people that I see every year wearing T shirts from the likes of Nickleback, Asking Alexander, Slipknot, Paramore, Soundgarden, etc. goes to show that if those bands played then they would also get a good reception. Not to mention the amount of Download shirts, presumable worn by people who have attended Download that year.

You just have to look at how often Hatebreed are on the Facebook page to see that they are friends with the organisers. Yet most other bands don't even get a mention.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby cthulhu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Just because they are popular doesn't mean they fit in. The amount of people that I see every year wearing T shirts from the likes of Nickleback, Asking Alexander, Slipknot, Paramore, Soundgarden, etc. goes to show that if those bands played then they would also get a good reception. Not to mention the amount of Download shirts, presumable worn by people who have attended Download that year.

You just have to look at how often Hatebreed are on the Facebook page to see that they are friends with the organisers. Yet most other bands don't even get a mention.

So at a public event meant for entertainment a band being entertaining can still not fit? I can see where you're coming from, they don't fit the specific niche that BoA started out on or even that it mostly caters towards but if the same crowds love it and those same crowds are showing up for a line up of bands like Watain, Carcass, Behemoth et al then it's hard to think of a good reason they shouldn't be booked.

I can't say i've seen any of those bands bar Slipknot on shirts at BoA if i'm honest but that doesn't invalidate your point i think the fact that those kind of t-shirts are easily a small minority suggests they would probably not be popular on the line up unless equal bands showed up of course to entice that crowd.

Well sure i mean they post a lot of Hatebreed stuff but i don't think that's grounds to claim they're personal friends, that the admins are fans of the band certainly, the organisers probably also but the only band i'm aware they're friends with are Saxon who for the most part kinda get ignored by the BoA page.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:19 pm

It's probably only Paul Gregory that is friends with Saxon and he has hardly any input in the festival now. He leaves that to the youngsters.

To be honest I think that the average Bloodstock attendee is not as knowledgeable about bands as we would like to think they are. Hence the amount of those "shite Metal shirts" that proliferate the site every year. Just look at the Facebook page. And the crowd that Evil Scarecrow get. If you looked at the crowd they got at BOA then you would think they were massive, yet when they play at one of their own gigs nobody turns up. They played a free gig in Manchester recently and about 50 people turned up.

EDIT: And that's not a dig at Evil Scarecrow. More a dig at fairweather fans that go crazy at a festival but don't support the band normally.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Bearstock » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's probably only Paul Gregory that is friends with Saxon and he has hardly any input in the festival now. He leaves that to the youngsters.

To be honest I think that the average Bloodstock attendee is not as knowledgeable about bands as we would like to think they are. Hence the amount of those "shite Metal shirts" that proliferate the site every year. Just look at the Facebook page. And the crowd that Evil Scarecrow get. If you looked at the crowd they got at BOA then you would think they were massive, yet when they play at one of their own gigs nobody turns up. They played a free gig in Manchester recently and about 50 people turned up.

EDIT: And that's not a dig at Evil Scarecrow. More a dig at fairweather fans that go crazy at a festival but don't support the band normally.



To be fair though, I haven't bothered to watch Evil Scarecrow either of the past couple of years. Listened on record and didn't like them.


Heard about the massive reaction they got and saw videos of it.

Seems like a laugh that if I was in the arena at that time I'd probably venture down to have a bit of a laugh with purely just because am, there and it'd be something to do.

If I did that and enjoyed the atmosphere of it, I still wouldn't magically enjoy their music nor be naive enough to assume that same atmosphere of thousands at a festival would be there for their own gig.
Image
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby cthulhu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's probably only Paul Gregory that is friends with Saxon and he has hardly any input in the festival now. He leaves that to the youngsters.

To be honest I think that the average Bloodstock attendee is not as knowledgeable about bands as we would like to think they are. Hence the amount of those "shite Metal shirts" that proliferate the site every year. Just look at the Facebook page. And the crowd that Evil Scarecrow get. If you looked at the crowd they got at BOA then you would think they were massive, yet when they play at one of their own gigs nobody turns up. They played a free gig in Manchester recently and about 50 people turned up.

EDIT: And that's not a dig at Evil Scarecrow. More a dig at fairweather fans that go crazy at a festival but don't support the band normally.


You might be right on that one, I'm not prepared to make a claim about Saxon and the Gregory family one way or the other beyond that i can confirm Paul is and I recall Vicky saying on facebook that the vocalist at least was a friend of the family.

It's a difficult one that statement, enjoyment of music is entirely subjective. To be fair most of the guys i've seen on the way to watch hatebreed were wearing tshirts and patch jackets with quite a range of bands, most of them black and death.

I do agree about the facebook page whole heartedly though "book Slipknot and Rammstein", "Evil Scarecrow 2015"...etc etc. But bare in mind that obviously a percentage of the non-forum users are into the mainstream stuff but there are also 9 times as many likes on the facebook as there are attendants, i'm nowhere near bored enough to do the maths for real but to equal that number they'd have to have sold 10,000 tickets every year since 2003 and every single ticket in those 10,000 each year would need to have been to an entirely different person and even then you have about 4,000 likes in change....my point is that of the facebook likes maybe 20,000 are actually buying tickets, the rest are just foreigners who can't make it or mainstream metal people who heard about the festival because Machine Head or Lamb of God played there and are of the impression that's the kinda bands the festival caters towards specifically.

I get your Evil Scarecrow comments entirely but i think this last BoA date was likely the pinnacle of their career so far and rather than look at where they were before it we should see what happens with the next tour they do because i think that's the one that's going to be telling in this instance.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Kanwulf
Denim Demon
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: The Pagan Vastlands
Contact:

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 am

Did anyone hear the podcast? I can back Gandalf up here and say that Jasta and Vickie did come across as very friendly with one another and they seemed to know a fair deal about each other.
Image

User avatar
dexter123
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby dexter123 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

i don't mean to seem stand-offish, but does it really matter if there's some kids coming in with asking alandria and bands of similar likes shirts? just because they like these bands doesn't mean they aren't allowed to enjoy the bands/music at bloodstock, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to go to download either. don't know about any of you guys, but i don't remember anyone being refused entry because they were wearing a download wristband and i doubt the same goes the other way too.

this sort of elitist bollocks does my nut in!! who gives a toss if lamb of god, machine head and god forbid, hatebreed, continue to get booked year after year. businesses have to grow, and in order for bands like judas priest, or possibly way in the future iron maiden to get booked, then booking popular mainstream bands or unusual bands will likely continue to happen and so will seeing more of these kids with shirts of bands you don't like, or deem unfit for the festival. stop going on about it, let it be done with, fair enough you don't like the band, but that doesn't make the kids wearing the shirts bad kids, they're at the festival for the same reasons as you!

User avatar
Kanwulf
Denim Demon
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: The Pagan Vastlands
Contact:

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Kanwulf » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:30 pm

People complaining about elitists do my nut in. I will admit to judging people who like Asking Alexandria and the likes.
Image

User avatar
Smerphy
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:51 pm
Location: Perthshire

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Smerphy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:37 pm

dexter123 wrote:i don't mean to seem stand-offish, but does it really matter if there's some kids coming in with asking alandria and bands of similar likes shirts? just because they like these bands doesn't mean they aren't allowed to enjoy the bands/music at bloodstock, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to go to download either. don't know about any of you guys, but i don't remember anyone being refused entry because they were wearing a download wristband and i doubt the same goes the other way too.

this sort of elitist bollocks does my nut in!! who gives a toss if lamb of god, machine head and god forbid, hatebreed, continue to get booked year after year. businesses have to grow, and in order for bands like judas priest, or possibly way in the future iron maiden to get booked, then booking popular mainstream bands or unusual bands will likely continue to happen and so will seeing more of these kids with shirts of bands you don't like, or deem unfit for the festival. stop going on about it, let it be done with, fair enough you don't like the band, but that doesn't make the kids wearing the shirts bad kids, they're at the festival for the same reasons as you!


Why should we not be annoyed by it? The money we sunk into the festival is now being spent to appeal to a demographic who never went to the festival to begin with.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.



That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby cthulhu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:Did anyone hear the podcast? I can back Gandalf up here and say that Jasta and Vickie did come across as very friendly with one another and they seemed to know a fair deal about each other.

I did and whilst they were friendly i'm not convinced it was enough to deem them real world friends rather than just people BoA have met and worked with pleasantly. I mean beyond the fact that Jamie has met her husband (which makes sense as he works at BoA too and the team seem to meet all the bands) they didn't seem more friendly than most radio interviews i've read.

dexter123 wrote:i don't mean to seem stand-offish

"But i shall anyway"

but does it really matter if there's some kids coming in with asking alandria and bands of similar likes shirts?

No it doesn't really matter in the least as long as you don't mind getting looked at like you just pulled up alongside a group of 1%ers whilst on a moped.

just because they like these bands doesn't mean they aren't allowed to enjoy the bands/music at bloodstock, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to go to download either. don't know about any of you guys, but i don't remember anyone being refused entry because they were wearing a download wristband and i doubt the same goes the other way too.

No-one is saying they shouldn't enjoy these bands or that they shouldn't go to Download, hell i've done download every year bar 2 since 2008. But why bother having Bloodstock if the line up just becomes Download part 2 that's the point, not about download people vs bloodstock people the fact there are more download people going lately is more of a point about the bands than the people.


this sort of elitist bollocks does my nut in!!

By definition elitism is thinking a certain point of yourself makes you a superior human being. It's not elitist to like a certain kind of band, this phrase really bothers me because virtually every time i see you people using it it's not applicable.

who gives a toss if lamb of god, machine head and god forbid, hatebreed, continue to get booked year after year.

The people buying the tickets care. Repeat bookings are lazy and boring and people have a right to not want to pay money to see the same bands on repeat. Oh and i'd be very surprised if God Forbid got repeatedly booked...or even booked once seeing as they disbanded a few years ago (a shame as i did enjoy them somewhat).

businesses have to grow, and in order for bands like judas priest, or possibly way in the future iron maiden to get booked, then booking popular mainstream bands or unusual bands will likely continue to happen and so will seeing more of these kids with shirts of bands you don't like, or deem unfit for the festival.

A few points here. Yes businesses have to grow if you're approaching as a business, obviously BoA is and obviously they intend to make profits but the difference is that BoA by their own hand have stopped campsite growth for the next 5 years i believe it is. Why? Partially based around licensing i would imagine but also because they don't want to be another Download festival. They've always been pretty clear on saying they have no intentions of booking Iron Maiden or bands like that, in fact if i remember rightly the last time one of them was asked they simply said "if you want to see Metallica or Iron Maiden then go to Download". Of course more of these bands will be booked and i'd say the current balance is about right but if you seriously think a metal festival that frankly isn't far off being an extreme metal festival needs to grow by booking mainstream bands you're not really getting the point.

stop going on about it, let it be done with, fair enough you don't like the band, but that doesn't make the kids wearing the shirts bad kids, they're at the festival for the same reasons as you!

Yeah fuck negative opinions, lets just have sunshines and rainbows and no-one expressing negative opinions on something they've invested time, money and excitement in right? No, fuck that. I don't personally think the festival is as bad as a lot of forum users make out but it's everyone's right to express those thoughts...not exactly like Bloodstock care anyway and none of them do jackshit to stop the shift because frankly nobody can. Equally it's not about people wearing those shirts being bad kids they're just not the kids the festival was designed for and the more of them that show up is an indicator of how much the festival squeezes the faithful out.

/rant
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:31 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Bearstock » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Yeah fuck negative opinions, lets just have sunshines and rainbows and no-one expressing negative opinions on something they've invested time, money and excitement in right? No, fuck that. I don't personally think the festival is as bad as a lot of forum users make out but it's everyone's right to express those thoughts...not exactly like Bloodstock care anyway and none of them do jackshit to stop the shift because frankly nobody can. Equally it's not about people wearing those shirts being bad kids they're just not the kids the festival was designed for and the more of them that show up is an indicator of how much the festival squeezes the faithful out.



Whilst I fully agree with you that some of the criticism on here is way over the top I have to disagree with your last point.

If I see some yuongsters with Asking Alexandria or some other shite like Bring Me The Horizon on their t shirts, I don't assume that's the way the festival is headed.

Far from it, if anything when we were kids we had the likes of Linkin Park, Korn and Slipknot as "gateway bands" entering the fray and finding far better music.

If kids into the current ~"gateway" acts are coming to Bloodstock and last year they watched Emperor or ventured onto the Sophie or New Blood stages then that is a great thing.


Given that the festival seems to have grown year on year, these guys coming now and potentially expanding their tastes and interests certainly doesn't mean they're squeezing others out.
Image
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Bearstock wrote:Far from it, if anything when we were kids we had the likes of Linkin Park, Korn and Slipknot as "gateway bands" entering the fray and finding far better music.



Speak for yourself. :P

I was at least in my mid twenties before those bands were even thought of. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:12 pm

I admit that wearing an Asking Alexandra or BFMV shirt doesn't make you a bad person. But I would guess that such a person would attend more for "shits and giggles" rather than to watch bands.

I know plenty of people that attended the early festivals that don't attend anymore because they feel the festival has gone too far down the Download route.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp