Possible Improvements to the New Blood Stage

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Possible Improvements to the New Blood Stage

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Birmingham was 30% audience and 70% judges. I went to every single heat and although not all the bands were to my taste I think there was only one band I felt should have gone through from the first round who didn't. That particular heat was a tough one so I don't blame the judges for going the way they did.
I know all the judges, and they're all very knowledgeable and big supporters of the underground metal scene, and didn't let their personal preferences get in the way of judging fairly.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:54 pm

How do you judge fairly in this sort of competition? There's no quantifiable measurable standard of good?

I'm not trying to be a dick with you, just curious in general.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:06 pm

There's probably a quantifiable measurable standard of poor though. :P

It could be that certain areas have a high quality of bands than other areas. And I would guess that some MTTM are better run than others.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Interesting point with the regional approach. You could judge that 3 bands from Birmingham are better than all the bands from Manchester and Liverpool, but due to the system, only one (or however many) gets through, and the lesser bands from other regions also get through in the place of better bands from places where a band has already got through.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:22 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:How do you judge fairly in this sort of competition? There's no quantifiable measurable standard of good?

I'm not trying to be a dick with you, just curious in general.

I know they have various categories and score each band out of 10 for each category, I guess there's no way to really be sure people are judging fairly, I guess even subconsciously they may be unfair. I don't think so in this case though. There were a lot of really good bands in Birminghams MTTM this year (and last tbh), there was one heat though that managed to have 3 of the worst bands I've ever heard though...and by bad I mean not an ounce of musical talent in them (2 of the bands sounded like they'd only started learning to play the day before)

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:51 am

It's not solely based on music either. You may not get "points" as such but you are viewed as how professional you are, punctuality with set times and set up times for example, how you interact with the crowd on and off stage. Basically if you act like a dick off stage it goes against you.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:20 am

Bisset wrote:It's not solely based on music either. You may not get "points" as such but you are viewed as how professional you are, punctuality with set times and set up times for example, how you interact with the crowd on and off stage. Basically if you act like a dick off stage it goes against you.

How did Beholder get booked then? :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:32 am

A better question:

Why do Beholder even exist? :x

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Bisset wrote:It's not solely based on music either. You may not get "points" as such but you are viewed as how professional you are, punctuality with set times and set up times for example, how you interact with the crowd on and off stage. Basically if you act like a dick off stage it goes against you.

Personally I don't see a problem with that. Whether you're a professional musician or not, you need to have the attitude and respect for the other people playing on a bill...or everyone would end up a tosser like Axl

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:04 am

angel_of_death wrote:or everyone would end up a tosser like Axl

Wildly successful and rich beyond belief, touring the world and selling highly or selling out arenas in virtually every country on the planet?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:15 am

My point there really is stating that being an asshole holds you back and then using Axl Rose as an example is bit like saying you're faster in a foot race than an amputee and then using Alan Oliveira as an example. Sure 90% of the time you're likely right but the example given is proof to the contrary.

And sure a more personable Axl Rose would likely be bigger in a reunited Guns N Roses but in much the same way Alan Oliveira would likely be faster if he actually had legs...doesn't mean either of them isn't currently doing ridiculously well for themselves even compared with most people who aren't a deuce/have legs.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:40 am

angel_of_death wrote:

Personally I don't see a problem with that. Whether you're a professional musician or not, you need to have the attitude and respect for the other people playing on a bill...or everyone would end up a tosser like Axl

I never said I had a problem with it, I completely agree with it.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Bumcrack-smellywinkle
Consort of the Beast

Postby Bumcrack-smellywinkle » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:A better question:

:lol: :lol: Headlining 2015 i bet!
Swiggity swude
Send me a nude

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:32 pm

Bumcrack-smellywinkle wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:A better question:

:lol: :lol: Headlining 2015 i bet!

Please don'tgive them any ideas :rolleyes:

strangeasangels
Denim Demon

Postby strangeasangels » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:31 pm

Only if they went back to being a covers band.