Vickie on the Jasta Show

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Vickie on the Jasta Show

Postby tmcgoay » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:Ok, So I am currently listening to Vickie on the Jasta show and so far she has taken subtle shots at us Bloodstock forumers and made some relatively worrying comments regarding bands she would consider booking.

First point is this:

Jasta: Would you ever consider Suicide Silence for Bloodstock?
Vickie: Yeah! Of Course we would... They would be amazing!

Next of all Jasta went through a list of bands she would consider booking.

Rob Zombie: Yes
Trivium: Yes
Of Mice and Men: No (and from what I gather, it was mainly because she is too scared of the backlash)
Five Finger Death Punch: Yes ("Yes! I love them!")
The Darkness: Yes
Steel Panther: Yes (And she seemed very interested in getting this one done in particular)

So, what are peoples thoughts on this? Is this really the way we can see Bloodstock going?

She also mentioned she got 2 death threats from booking Europe in 2009 :?
Also, Kirk from Crowbar loves hairy minge :lol:

Rob Zombie i've not seen and want to so i'm ok with this
FFDP i wouldn't get unhappy about
Steel Panther?? comedy set/novelty value?? maybe

but as has been pointed out the question was "a list of bands she would consider booking" doesn't mean that they are going to happen, she didn't want to piss people off so went with a maybe
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18
SRS '12

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:12 am

Well, they booked shite like Hatebreed.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

dexter123
Consort of the Beast

Postby dexter123 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:53 am

couldn't have been that shite if they popped up twice man, i'm not really a fan of that style but hatebreed weren't awful.

these bands that have been mentioned are just mentioned, i'm sure jasta gets the vibe of the festival and might be poking around to get a reaction.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:04 am

No. He's an arsehole crybaby. Who has no place being at a Heavy Metal festival. They only get booked because they are personal friends with the organisers.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:No. He's an arsehole crybaby. Who has no place being at a Heavy Metal festival. They only get booked because they are personal friends with the organisers.

Clearly the fact they drew some of the biggest crowds each year they've played suggests they have every place at the festival...i consider them mediocre and highly fucking boring but if metal people at a metal festival are turning up in the majority to see them and twice at that i'm sorry but they've got a place at the festival...doesn't stop me fucking off to second stage/the camp site for their set though.

Equally how do you know they're friends with the organisers? Is there a story behind that or something that i've not heard yet? I'm just trying to work out how a white trash band from Connecticut would have encountered a wealthy family of British land owners.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:38 pm

cthulhu wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:No. He's an arsehole crybaby. Who has no place being at a Heavy Metal festival. They only get booked because they are personal friends with the organisers.

Clearly the fact they drew some of the biggest crowds each year they've played suggests they have every place at the festival...i consider them mediocre and highly fucking boring but if metal people at a metal festival are turning up in the majority to see them and twice at that i'm sorry but they've got a place at the festival...doesn't stop me fucking off to second stage/the camp site for their set though.

Equally how do you know they're friends with the organisers? Is there a story behind that or something that i've not heard yet? I'm just trying to work out how a white trash band from Connecticut would have encountered a wealthy family of British land owners.

Just because they are popular doesn't mean they fit in. The amount of people that I see every year wearing T shirts from the likes of Nickleback, Asking Alexander, Slipknot, Paramore, Soundgarden, etc. goes to show that if those bands played then they would also get a good reception. Not to mention the amount of Download shirts, presumable worn by people who have attended Download that year.

You just have to look at how often Hatebreed are on the Facebook page to see that they are friends with the organisers. Yet most other bands don't even get a mention.

cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Just because they are popular doesn't mean they fit in. The amount of people that I see every year wearing T shirts from the likes of Nickleback, Asking Alexander, Slipknot, Paramore, Soundgarden, etc. goes to show that if those bands played then they would also get a good reception. Not to mention the amount of Download shirts, presumable worn by people who have attended Download that year.

You just have to look at how often Hatebreed are on the Facebook page to see that they are friends with the organisers. Yet most other bands don't even get a mention.

So at a public event meant for entertainment a band being entertaining can still not fit? I can see where you're coming from, they don't fit the specific niche that BoA started out on or even that it mostly caters towards but if the same crowds love it and those same crowds are showing up for a line up of bands like Watain, Carcass, Behemoth et al then it's hard to think of a good reason they shouldn't be booked.

I can't say i've seen any of those bands bar Slipknot on shirts at BoA if i'm honest but that doesn't invalidate your point i think the fact that those kind of t-shirts are easily a small minority suggests they would probably not be popular on the line up unless equal bands showed up of course to entice that crowd.

Well sure i mean they post a lot of Hatebreed stuff but i don't think that's grounds to claim they're personal friends, that the admins are fans of the band certainly, the organisers probably also but the only band i'm aware they're friends with are Saxon who for the most part kinda get ignored by the BoA page.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:19 pm

It's probably only Paul Gregory that is friends with Saxon and he has hardly any input in the festival now. He leaves that to the youngsters.

To be honest I think that the average Bloodstock attendee is not as knowledgeable about bands as we would like to think they are. Hence the amount of those "shite Metal shirts" that proliferate the site every year. Just look at the Facebook page. And the crowd that Evil Scarecrow get. If you looked at the crowd they got at BOA then you would think they were massive, yet when they play at one of their own gigs nobody turns up. They played a free gig in Manchester recently and about 50 people turned up.

EDIT: And that's not a dig at Evil Scarecrow. More a dig at fairweather fans that go crazy at a festival but don't support the band normally.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:01 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's probably only Paul Gregory that is friends with Saxon and he has hardly any input in the festival now. He leaves that to the youngsters.

To be honest I think that the average Bloodstock attendee is not as knowledgeable about bands as we would like to think they are. Hence the amount of those "shite Metal shirts" that proliferate the site every year. Just look at the Facebook page. And the crowd that Evil Scarecrow get. If you looked at the crowd they got at BOA then you would think they were massive, yet when they play at one of their own gigs nobody turns up. They played a free gig in Manchester recently and about 50 people turned up.

EDIT: And that's not a dig at Evil Scarecrow. More a dig at fairweather fans that go crazy at a festival but don't support the band normally.

To be fair though, I haven't bothered to watch Evil Scarecrow either of the past couple of years. Listened on record and didn't like them.

Heard about the massive reaction they got and saw videos of it.

Seems like a laugh that if I was in the arena at that time I'd probably venture down to have a bit of a laugh with purely just because am, there and it'd be something to do.

If I did that and enjoyed the atmosphere of it, I still wouldn't magically enjoy their music nor be naive enough to assume that same atmosphere of thousands at a festival would be there for their own gig.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's probably only Paul Gregory that is friends with Saxon and he has hardly any input in the festival now. He leaves that to the youngsters.

You might be right on that one, I'm not prepared to make a claim about Saxon and the Gregory family one way or the other beyond that i can confirm Paul is and I recall Vicky saying on facebook that the vocalist at least was a friend of the family.

It's a difficult one that statement, enjoyment of music is entirely subjective. To be fair most of the guys i've seen on the way to watch hatebreed were wearing tshirts and patch jackets with quite a range of bands, most of them black and death.

I do agree about the facebook page whole heartedly though "book Slipknot and Rammstein", "Evil Scarecrow 2015"...etc etc. But bare in mind that obviously a percentage of the non-forum users are into the mainstream stuff but there are also 9 times as many likes on the facebook as there are attendants, i'm nowhere near bored enough to do the maths for real but to equal that number they'd have to have sold 10,000 tickets every year since 2003 and every single ticket in those 10,000 each year would need to have been to an entirely different person and even then you have about 4,000 likes in change....my point is that of the facebook likes maybe 20,000 are actually buying tickets, the rest are just foreigners who can't make it or mainstream metal people who heard about the festival because Machine Head or Lamb of God played there and are of the impression that's the kinda bands the festival caters towards specifically.

I get your Evil Scarecrow comments entirely but i think this last BoA date was likely the pinnacle of their career so far and rather than look at where they were before it we should see what happens with the next tour they do because i think that's the one that's going to be telling in this instance.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:47 am

Did anyone hear the podcast? I can back Gandalf up here and say that Jasta and Vickie did come across as very friendly with one another and they seemed to know a fair deal about each other.

dexter123
Consort of the Beast

Postby dexter123 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

i don't mean to seem stand-offish, but does it really matter if there's some kids coming in with asking alandria and bands of similar likes shirts? just because they like these bands doesn't mean they aren't allowed to enjoy the bands/music at bloodstock, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to go to download either. don't know about any of you guys, but i don't remember anyone being refused entry because they were wearing a download wristband and i doubt the same goes the other way too.

this sort of elitist bollocks does my nut in!! who gives a toss if lamb of god, machine head and god forbid, hatebreed, continue to get booked year after year. businesses have to grow, and in order for bands like judas priest, or possibly way in the future iron maiden to get booked, then booking popular mainstream bands or unusual bands will likely continue to happen and so will seeing more of these kids with shirts of bands you don't like, or deem unfit for the festival. stop going on about it, let it be done with, fair enough you don't like the band, but that doesn't make the kids wearing the shirts bad kids, they're at the festival for the same reasons as you!

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:21 pm

dexter123 wrote:stop going on about it, let it be done with, fair enough you don't like the band, but that doesn't make the kids wearing the shirts bad kids, they're at the festival for the same reasons as you!

That doesn't really make sense does it? They're there to see Hatebreed.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:30 pm

People complaining about elitists do my nut in. I will admit to judging people who like Asking Alexandria and the likes.

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:37 pm

dexter123 wrote:i don't mean to seem stand-offish, but does it really matter if there's some kids coming in with asking alandria and bands of similar likes shirts? just because they like these bands doesn't mean they aren't allowed to enjoy the bands/music at bloodstock, doesn't mean they aren't allowed to go to download either. don't know about any of you guys, but i don't remember anyone being refused entry because they were wearing a download wristband and i doubt the same goes the other way too.

this sort of elitist bollocks does my nut in!! who gives a toss if lamb of god, machine head and god forbid, hatebreed, continue to get booked year after year. businesses have to grow, and in order for bands like judas priest, or possibly way in the future iron maiden to get booked, then booking popular mainstream bands or unusual bands will likely continue to happen and so will seeing more of these kids with shirts of bands you don't like, or deem unfit for the festival. stop going on about it, let it be done with, fair enough you don't like the band, but that doesn't make the kids wearing the shirts bad kids, they're at the festival for the same reasons as you!

Why should we not be annoyed by it? The money we sunk into the festival is now being spent to appeal to a demographic who never went to the festival to begin with.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol: