What's upset you?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: What's upset you?

Postby Turbo » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:17 pm

It's the anniversary of the death of a great friend of mine. Taken from us far too early (he was only 29) and does bring it home to us how short life can be really. There have been some lovely tributes to him within my circle of friends on facebook. I was as part of his will given Sign of the Hammer on vinyl which I shall play in a little while (my digital copy - I wouldn't even dream about spinning that and I have framed it anyway). RIP Ian!

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:11 pm

a guy i work with died last night, he had been off work for months after having a heart attack and then being diagnosed with a lung disease. i literally saw him not even a week ago and we were having a laugh, he seemed to be doing well. came as a complete shock to be told that when i got to work this morning

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:39 pm

Spilt the beans / details about my depression to my mother and brother. Now everyone in the family knows, and it feels wrong. My mum feels like it's her fault that I've ended up the way I am, it's really not what I wanted her to feel. Now I'm feeling terrible - I wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:14 pm

It's quite possibly just a bit of a shock to her emotions, it's always better to be honest. The worst truth is better than the best lie.
Just keep talking to her about it, make it very clear that it's not her fault. It's something completely separate from her.
She's a wonderful intelligent lady so I'm sure she'll come to terms with her feelings :)
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:36 pm

Better out than in, Lis! Good on you for opening up about it.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:43 pm

It's what parents do is automatically think it's their fault. It's more of the shock of being told that than anything else. You did a good thing about telling her, I think Ania has put it in the best terminology possible here about the worst truth etc.

E-hugs sent.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Thank you all so so so much <3 Mum and I are getting along ok, we're working on it.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:35 pm

It's definitely better that they know than don't.

My parents had that initial "Shit, did we do this?" kind of reaction, and then a follow up "What can we do about it".

And obviously they didn't cause it, and they couldn't really do anything about it.

It was just nice to have more people I could say "I feel like shit today. I just need to tell someone how bad I feel, there doesn't need to be any feedback".

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:16 pm

An old work colleague of mine has passed away - a security guard from the days of the jobcentre. He was a fucking lovely bloke. :(
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Katesyl
Paster of Muppets

Postby Katesyl » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:56 am

Just started getting a load of abuse from one of the guys we've always got along with in another flat (not the noisy 'musician' dickheads) in this house. I barely really know him but apparently he tried knocking on the door for painkillers and has decided I was in and heard but didn't answer(?). He therefore has started making all sorts of personal comments about stuff I'm really conscious about regarding my appearance, that I'm an idiot and graphically describing some kind of horrific sexual stuff he hopes his housemate does to me.

He also happens to be fucking massive (my friend asked him if he was on steroids following this sudden outburst of anger which just set him off even more - it seems pretty likely given his size) and has previously told said friend that he "would have slapped" her when he was pissed off that she didn't reply to some text about weed (another factor that may contribute to the apparent psychosis).

I'm usually pretty good at laughing this stuff off and giving as good as I get but I just feel so shit and repulsive already I just don't even have it in me anymore. Emailed the people we're renting with (on the basis that I don't feel particularly safe coming in and out of our creepy quiet house with his room looking out onto the entrance when he's in that kind of mood) but whether there's anything they can/want to do about it remains to be seen.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:35 am

That's awful Kate. Hope something gets sorted soon!

I got an e-mail from UCAS today following my uni application, and I've been rejected.
Absolutely gutted, as going to uni in September was a huge decision for me and I saw no reason why I couldn't do it. My own stupid fault for putting all of my proverbial eggs in the one basket, and being so cock-sure that I didn't check the requirements for entry. Essentially I needed either 3 Cs at A-Level, or a triple Merit at BTEC - I have one C at A-Level and a "Pass" at BTEC because 5 years ago when I was still in education, I was a lazy twat and didn't want to go to uni. So my own fucking about has landed me in shitsville now.

However, not letting this get me down too much. I'm now looking to apply at Norwich City College to do 3 A-Level courses so I can get the grades I need to go to uni. If I get AAB then this will all only put my plans back one year. If I get CCC then my plans are back by 2 years, which would suck, but still not the end of the world.
I will likely be 10 years older than my coursemates, mind :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:28 pm

Applecore wrote:That's awful Kate. Hope something gets sorted soon!

I got an e-mail from UCAS today following my uni application, and I've been rejected.
Absolutely gutted, as going to uni in September was a huge decision for me and I saw no reason why I couldn't do it. My own stupid fault for putting all of my proverbial eggs in the one basket, and being so cock-sure that I didn't check the requirements for entry. Essentially I needed either 3 Cs at A-Level, or a triple Merit at BTEC - I have one C at A-Level and a "Pass" at BTEC because 5 years ago when I was still in education, I was a lazy twat and didn't want to go to uni. So my own fucking about has landed me in shitsville now.

However, not letting this get me down too much. I'm now looking to apply at Norwich City College to do 3 A-Level courses so I can get the grades I need to go to uni. If I get AAB then this will all only put my plans back one year. If I get CCC then my plans are back by 2 years, which would suck, but still not the end of the world.
I will likely be 10 years older than my coursemates, mind :lol:

Highly unlikely that you'll be the oldest. I did the same when I was about 26 and half the course were older than me. The oldest was in his 60s and used to fix Spitfires. He was by far the brightest person on the course and was doing it to prove to himself that he could do it as he never had the chance to when he was younger because he missed out due to National Service.

Even the youngsters will be there to learn.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:46 pm

I remember everyone assuming I was either a mature student or in my final year during my first week of uni. I was 19 :(

Purple n Batty
Consort of the Beast

Postby Purple n Batty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Do they still offer the Access course, a one year course you can do as a stepping stone to uni? I know a few people who got in that way.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Yeah, when I was at uni there were a number of mature students over 40 on my course - one even had kids the same age as most of the people on our course. I think most of them did an access course rather than going the A-Level route.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!