Next announcement

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next announcement

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Beardy wrote:To go off on a slight tangent, and actually make a vaguely serious point, does anyone else feel that the 'festival culture' we have now is actually detrimental to bands doing proper headline tours? Bands seem content to just do a few festivals or the odd glorified all dayer rather than tour 'properly' slumming it on the 'toilet circuit' and building their fanbase, fans are content to see a bunch of bands playing shortened sets in the same place rather than travelling a bit (even walking to the other side of town sometimes) to see a full headline show...

It's mixed really, for small bands festival slots are a useful way of elevating themselves beyond the toilet circuit or at least, allow them to headline rather than support on the toilet circuit. It provides a platform in a way a UK tour could not (with press coverage and the festival hype machine giving them otherwise rare or limited exposure).

For big bands, yes. Your Maiden's and Metallica's can pick up a big pay check that'll keep them turning over for awhile since they don't need to constantly tour day in day out for financial purposes unlike small bands.

For medium sized bands like Mastodon, yes. Allows them to maximize their time in hitting as many locations globally as possible. Why play 10 UK dates to a combined audience of say, 30,000 when you can do a one off show to say 60,000 then go and do the same in another country the next day; wheres the incentive to extensively tour?

I think if anything, it's the casual music fan that gets the short end of the stick. Rather than possibly throw £30 on occasion on a band you kinda like is affordable for most, now if bands only do fests you've gotta shell out normally at least £100 and take time off work. If your a big fan of the band (or bands that are there) then it's a good deal, but if you've only got a slight interest then no, you won't see them. Case in point, every year Reading seems to chuck out 5/6 bands I would like to see but no way am I paying £200 (they always spread 'em out over the whole weekend) so I end up missing out.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:01 pm

Shouldn't really complain though, better to be spoiled for choice than getting the odd gig here and there.
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Is it really a choice if you can't afford to go to a festival to see the band though?

Though I suppose the flipside is that festival's often allow bands to afford to tour further afield and do the odd few dates around the festival

cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby cthulhu » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:53 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Beardy wrote:To go off on a slight tangent, and actually make a vaguely serious point, does anyone else feel that the 'festival culture' we have now is actually detrimental to bands doing proper headline tours? Bands seem content to just do a few festivals or the odd glorified all dayer rather than tour 'properly' slumming it on the 'toilet circuit' and building their fanbase, fans are content to see a bunch of bands playing shortened sets in the same place rather than travelling a bit (even walking to the other side of town sometimes) to see a full headline show...

It's mixed really, for small bands festival slots are a useful way of elevating themselves beyond the toilet circuit or at least, allow them to headline rather than support on the toilet circuit. It provides a platform in a way a UK tour could not (with press coverage and the festival hype machine giving them otherwise rare or limited exposure).

For big bands, yes. Your Maiden's and Metallica's can pick up a big pay check that'll keep them turning over for awhile since they don't need to constantly tour day in day out for financial purposes unlike small bands.

For medium sized bands like Mastodon, yes. Allows them to maximize their time in hitting as many locations globally as possible. Why play 10 UK dates to a combined audience of say, 30,000 when you can do a one off show to say 60,000 then go and do the same in another country the next day; wheres the incentive to extensively tour?

I think if anything, it's the casual music fan that gets the short end of the stick. Rather than possibly throw £30 on occasion on a band you kinda like is affordable for most, now if bands only do fests you've gotta shell out normally at least £100 and take time off work. If your a big fan of the band (or bands that are there) then it's a good deal, but if you've only got a slight interest then no, you won't see them. Case in point, every year Reading seems to chuck out 5/6 bands I would like to see but no way am I paying £200 (they always spread 'em out over the whole weekend) so I end up missing out.

here's a few points i'd like to address here:
* I think you're dead right about the small bands, although toilet circuit is kinda unfair since there are some very good and very professional clubs out there which are totally valid and respectable venues which might have a new blood band on one night then Sabaton the next for instance.

* Medium sized bands naturally do have incentive to play more countries but a single festival slot is rarely enough exposure and you don't see many bands Mastodon's size not doing a full tour in the UK fairly regularly (unless they happen to be Finnish or sometimes Scandinavian in which case they seem to prefer substituting a UK tour with a single London date then a tour of their home country that's twice as long as they would have done anyway).

* Maiden/Metallica i think you're also correct but it is worth mentioning that they do lose money doing a single UK festival show even on a contracted deal like that compared to what they would make if they played an arena tour.

Totally agree about casual fans getting boned by it though, as for the Reading thing this year Download have Judas Priest and Motley Crue's last UK show/festival (which my girlfriend would love to see)...but £600 (as we have to travel from Plymouth) to see a couple of bands in a weekend of so far very shit bands in typically shit weather is not worth it...and hence we'll likely sit at home and fester on the fact these bands decided to only play a festival and it isn't one either of us want to go to.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:10 pm

I get the point about Mastodon and the like doing UK tours as well, but what about all the other medium sized bands who don't do extensive UK tours along with festivals? Anthrax, Godsmack, Slayer or In Flames? I know they are more established than your Mastodon's etc but you would assume they would choose to maximize their impact every time they tour; so you could argue festivals alone are enough for some medium sized bands.

For the most part I was wrong about calling small clubs toilets, most small clubs I've been to are really good but then again, compared to a touring band i've only seen a small fraction of what they have, and that's from a punters pov as well.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:19 pm

Calling most small clubs toilets is an insult to toilets. At least a toilet doesn't charge you nearly £5 for a can of shit lager.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:42 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Calling most small clubs toilets is an insult to toilets. At least a toilet doesn't charge you nearly £5 for a can of shit lager.

Haha, fair point. I remember when I saw Anaal Nathrakh at the Electrowerkz (by far the grubbiest, nastiest venue I have been to) and they were charging £4 for a can of Red Stripe!

wroed
Denim Demon

Postby wroed » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 am

VizardAmata wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Calling most small clubs toilets is an insult to toilets. At least a toilet doesn't charge you nearly £5 for a can of shit lager.

Haha, fair point. I remember when I saw Anaal Nathrakh at the Electrowerkz (by far the grubbiest, nastiest venue I have been to) and they were charging £4 for a can of Red Stripe!

...and that's after they tidied it up a bit! In the earlier days of Slimelight there it was an unlicensed club where you had to either be a member or be signed in by a member and you took your own booze. If you went on the dance floor, unless a friend watched it you had to take your carrier bag of booze with you so nobody walked off with it!

patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby patrickransom » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:36 am

Funny you say that, a small venue near me (Tunbridge Wells Forum) is actually a converted public toilet.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:37 pm

I've been to the Tunbridge wells place- there were stickers on the wall saying 'god listens to Slayer'. It's not bad for a toilet-

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:46 pm

When I was a kid I thought that Tunbridge Wells was a made up place. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:53 pm

That's because it probably didn't exist then ;)

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:34 am

I think it was more that it was always used on comedy programmes such as Monty Python and The Goodies as a funny English place and they always used "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" on angry made up letters. So I thought they had made it up. :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:08 pm

wroed wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Haha, fair point. I remember when I saw Anaal Nathrakh at the Electrowerkz (by far the grubbiest, nastiest venue I have been to) and they were charging £4 for a can of Red Stripe!

...and that's after they tidied it up a bit! In the earlier days of Slimelight there it was an unlicensed club where you had to either be a member or be signed in by a member and you took your own booze. If you went on the dance floor, unless a friend watched it you had to take your carrier bag of booze with you so nobody walked off with it!

Ha. That brings back memories. I used to be a member.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

wroed
Denim Demon

Postby wroed » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Tet wrote:
wroed wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Haha, fair point. I remember when I saw Anaal Nathrakh at the Electrowerkz (by far the grubbiest, nastiest venue I have been to) and they were charging £4 for a can of Red Stripe!

Ha. That brings back memories. I used to be a member.

Likewise!