Next announcement

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Next announcement

Postby cthulhu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:05 pm

fluffkitten wrote:BLS? *shudder* Think I'd rather have a second Trivium set than that.

To be honest me too but largely that's because the period of Trivium i actually kinda liked is the period they play very few songs from anymore and a second set might force them to do a few more, whereas BLS are a band i've completely outgrown.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next announcement

Postby Skippy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:16 pm

houston4044 wrote:
A few thoughts though
-whose idea was it to book the top 6 acts who played the same festival the year before and why?

Its not even like they are trying to hide it, they've booked three bands who played one after another now! I remember the days Bloodstock used to book bands first who then went on to do quite well at Download, and not just book bands that played it the previous year.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS? I certainly know more CC songs, and I'm absolutely not a fan and never have been, whereas I used to like BLS and even I can't remember more than Stillborn.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
Kanwulf
Denim Demon
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: The Pagan Vastlands
Contact:

Re: Next announcement

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Jesus fuck Bloodstock. The less I say about this the better. What a total fucking sham this year is turning out to be.

On a side note, I would have put BLS and RZ on level pegging as far as size is concerned.
Image

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:32 pm

I wish everyone would stop abbreviating them to BLS. It's making me hungry. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8833
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: Next announcement

Postby Tet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:44 pm

Skippy wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS?

Yes. They're not even close to the same level. Black Label Society are much, much bigger.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Skippy wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
A few thoughts though
-whose idea was it to book the top 6 acts who played the same festival the year before and why?

Its not even like they are trying to hide it, they've booked three bands who played one after another now! I remember the days Bloodstock used to book bands first who then went on to do quite well at Download, and not just book bands that played it the previous year.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS? I certainly know more CC songs, and I'm absolutely not a fan and never have been, whereas I used to like BLS and even I can't remember more than Stillborn.


I'd imagine if they're trying to appeal to a wider more mainstream audience BLS would be put above CC, but BLS are far bigger than CC anyway, BLS are closer to Lamb of God than CC in terms of popularity i'd say.

The funny (or tragic thing depending on how you look at it), BOA has booked quite a few bands who played DL last year.... the year that sound poorly... if your going to copy and paste from another festival line up at least copy a successful one.

User avatar
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Somewhere crap

Re: Next announcement

Postby Skippy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:51 pm

Tet wrote:
Skippy wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS?

Yes. They're not even close to the same level. Black Label Society are much, much bigger.

Really? Aside from a brief period where one of their songs (Concrete Jungle or something like that maybe) was played a bit, I've genuinely not heard much about them - noone raves about them, noone plays their songs, noone I know goes to see them. Apparently they've been on tour lately? I've seen absolutely nothing about it, anywhere. Might just be the circles I run in, all I really know about them is that they are Zakk Wylde's band.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

User avatar
Kanwulf
Denim Demon
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:00 pm
Location: The Pagan Vastlands
Contact:

Re: Next announcement

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:54 pm

Skippy wrote:
Tet wrote:
Skippy wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS?

Yes. They're not even close to the same level. Black Label Society are much, much bigger.

Really? Aside from a brief period where one of their songs (Concrete Jungle or something like that maybe) was played a bit, I've genuinely not heard much about them - noone raves about them, noone plays their songs, noone I know goes to see them. Apparently they've been on tour lately? I've seen absolutely nothing about it, anywhere. Might just be the circles I run in, all I really know about them is that they are Zakk Wylde's band.


Yeah same here. I would have put Cannibal Corpse higher than BLACK LABEL SOCIETY (Just for you Gandalf ;) ) in terms of size. But I also would have put them bigger than Rob Zombie, so what do I know?
Image

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Next announcement

Postby cthulhu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:59 pm

Skippy wrote:
Tet wrote:
Skippy wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS?

Yes. They're not even close to the same level. Black Label Society are much, much bigger.

Really? Aside from a brief period where one of their songs (Concrete Jungle or something like that maybe) was played a bit, I've genuinely not heard much about them - noone raves about them, noone plays their songs, noone I know goes to see them. Apparently they've been on tour lately? I've seen absolutely nothing about it, anywhere. Might just be the circles I run in, all I really know about them is that they are Zakk Wylde's band.

All that really tells me Skippy is that your friends are probably the standard BoA audience which does highlight how much of a side step of a headliner they are...that said they're a big band for the "download metal" scene and have some crossover appeal to the hard rock lot too....which again makes them a bit suspect at BoA.

Blake_Porter wrote:Yeah same here. I would have put Cannibal Corpse higher than BLACK LABEL SOCIETY (Just for you Gandalf ;) ) in terms of size. But I also would have put them bigger than Rob Zombie, so what do I know?


Perhaps that's because of the circles you run in, perspective is relative after all. It's not like Cannibal Corpse are playing big venues anymore though unless they're support. Didn't even headline Damnation much less Bloodstock.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:04 pm

Skippy wrote:
Tet wrote:
Skippy wrote:Also, am I the only one who thinks Cannibal Corpse are probably a bigger name than BLS?

Yes. They're not even close to the same level. Black Label Society are much, much bigger.

Really? Aside from a brief period where one of their songs (Concrete Jungle or something like that maybe) was played a bit, I've genuinely not heard much about them - noone raves about them, noone plays their songs, noone I know goes to see them. Apparently they've been on tour lately? I've seen absolutely nothing about it, anywhere. Might just be the circles I run in, all I really know about them is that they are Zakk Wylde's band.


That's the reason. The mainstream Heavy Metal fan knows them because of the Ozzy Osbourne connection. They get featured in all the music comics from Kerrang to Terrorizer to Metal Hammer to Classic Rock. Nearly every time I see a guitar mag he's in it. I also see a lot of fans wearing their merchandise, although don't tell the Angels. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 pm

Even going along with your argument that Label (if I can't abbreviate it I'm sure as hell not writing it long hand) and RZ are the same size, RZ would get put above them because his stage show is much bigger, can't see Label following that.

But anyway, to put it an easy way
RZ subbed the mainstage last year at Download
BLS played 4th from top at Download last year
CC didn't headline Damnation last year

That's without comparing the size of venues those bands play

User avatar
cthulhu
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 564
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Next announcement

Postby cthulhu » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:24 pm

houston4044 wrote:Even going along with your argument that Label (if I can't abbreviate it I'm sure as hell not writing it long hand) and RZ are the same size, RZ would get put above them because his stage show is much bigger, can't see Label following that.

But anyway, to put it an easy way
RZ subbed the mainstage last year at Download
BLS played 4th from top at Download last year
CC didn't headline Damnation last year

That's without comparing the size of venues those bands play


Good post on the second half here, especially when you consider Damnation is both a lot smaller and a lot poorer (financially speaking) even compared to BoA.

Although you don't get to have a higher slot because of a stage show you get to have a stage show because of a higher slot...well a good stage show anyway, all about the money to do it and you only get that money and the festivals permission from your status.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

User avatar
patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby patrickransom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I don't know anything by "Label" and i'm one of those people who only know about them because of the Ozzy connection, so i'm a bit bummed out that the sunday SG is taken by them to be honest.

What I think is hilarious is how they've leaked the announcement, not by accidentally mentionin them in an email or something but by having their name on the line-up posters in one of the best selling metal magazines in the country. Talk about a monumental cock-up :lol:

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5016
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 pm

Didn't they do the same with Lamb Of God revealing all in an interview in a magazine that was printed before the announcement? Or was it someone else?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: Next announcement

Postby patrickransom » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Didn't they do the same with Lamb Of God revealing all in an interview in a magazine that was printed before the announcement? Or was it someone else?


I know Metal Hammer leaked the Slayer announcement on their website somehow, not sure about the L.O.G. thing.