TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Smerphy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:53 am

^ Check out Hannibal if you haven't already

Recently I've been enjoying Episodes. It's not really a show that I look forward to all year, but it's still quite funny, especially if you've been watching from the beginning. Anyone else on here watch it? It seems to have a very small following at the moment, despite being well into it's 4th season. I don't think it'll ever pick up a lot of viewers, but sometimes it's nice to have a show that not a lot of people watch.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:15 am

Turbo wrote:
Not sure what to go for next. Im watching Better Call Saul as they come available, though Dexter is high up on my list of shizz to watch.

Skip Dexter. Not worth.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:11 am

Potato-Jim wrote:
Turbo wrote:
Not sure what to go for next. Im watching Better Call Saul as they come available, though Dexter is high up on my list of shizz to watch.

Skip Dexter. Not worth.

Dexter is much better than it's reputation. Even at its worst, it was perfectly watchable. Ok, the last two series have far too much filler, but it's nowhere near as bad as people make out.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 am

Dexter is amazing if you stop after season 1, 4 or 6. If you continue past any of these then you only have yourself to blame if you're disappointed. That said, it's not like seasons 2, 3, 5, 7 or 8 are totally abhorrent, they're just not as good as 1, 4 and 6 (especially 4).

Luke, they don't have "all" of the Batman characters appear early on in Gotham, from my count there's been about 8 of note. As for their age, bear in mind that Bruce Wayne in the show is about 12/13 years old.
Selina Kyle is a recurring character and is the same age as Bruce. The Penguin is just starting off and is in his mid-20s (if anything, he should be older, surely?) as is Edward Nygma and Harvey Dent. Jim Gordon is in his early 30s. Alfred is in his late 40s, maybe early 50s. A strange girl named "Ivy" has also appeared and is a year or two younger than Bruce and Selina.
So say Bruce becomes Batman at about 25, that means The Penguin, The Riddler and Two-Face (provided Nygma and Dent have turned bad) would be in their mid-late 30s - totally feasible for them to be a threat to Batman - especially if you consider that The Penguin will have had upwards of 10 years to become a "big boss" and The Riddler and Two-Face will have grown into their positions.
Potential spoiler:I have seen a picture of someone with a wide smile who's apparently meant to become The Joker, and he looks to be about 18 at the most - putting him at about 30 if Bruce becomes Batman at 25.

I'll admit that Gotham is a show where you may need to slog through a few dull moments to get into. But I've never finished an episode thinking "well that was pants". It often opens strong and closes strong, just wavering a bit somewhere in the middle. However what sets it above Arrow and The Flash for me is that it caught my attention very quickly, and kept it, largely thanks to the cast. Ben McKenzie is awesome as Jim Gordon and really takes charge in leading the show. In fact, he and Donal Logue make a great "good cop, bad cop" duo. I could happily watch them tackling bad guys regardless as to whether the show's a Batman prequel or not.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:03 am

Smerphy wrote:^ Check out Hannibal if you haven't already

Recently I've been enjoying Episodes. It's not really a show that I look forward to all year, but it's still quite funny, especially if you've been watching from the beginning. Anyone else on here watch it? It seems to have a very small following at the moment, despite being well into it's 4th season. I don't think it'll ever pick up a lot of viewers, but sometimes it's nice to have a show that not a lot of people watch.

Just agreeing with both these points. Everyone should watch Hannibal.

Also I'm well behind on episodes, I still haven't seen the 3rd, but it was very funny in season 1 and 2. Not sure why I haven't got around to it.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:04 am

I know what I said was contradictory but as a massive Batman fan, Gotham is a really hard sell on me. If you're gonna do a Batman show with Batman villains you make it about Batman. Gotham is about Gordon, which isn't a bad thing, but you're really restricted with what you can do. You can't have his main base of villains like Joker because they are created by Batmans presense. Characters like Joker exist purely because the Batman gives them that motion to exist. Gordon doesn't have that ability.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:24 am

But The Joker isn't in it.. There's an episode on next week called "Red Hood". That's it so far.

Besides, as I said, the "Batman villains" are not yet "Batman villains" (in fact in most cases they're not even yet villains). The Penguin is still called Oswald Cobblepot, Harvey Dent is still a lawyer and Edward Nygma works for the police. When they become the characters they're known to be, then Bruce will be Batman. The show is intended as an origin story for Jim Gordon, and explores who the villains were before they became enemies of Batman. If you want to think of it as a Batman show, then it's the origin story of everyone BUT Batman, because his story is so well known that it would be pointless to retread.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:05 am

I like the idea behind it, but I still haven't gotten around to watching the thing.

I'll admit I had the same reservations about it being a show about Batman with no Batman, but it seems to be getting recieved quite well, so I'll probably give it a shot soon/

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:30 pm

I enjoyed the pilot episode of Gotham but after that it got progressively duller. I abandoned it 5 weeks later. I may go back to Arrow, keep hearing it gets so much better which, in fairness, was exactly what happened to Agents of SHIELD.

Actually, although it's never been great, I've found Constantine consistently solid. Matt Ryan is eminently watchable as the main character. Sadly it's looking like it's not going to be renewed.

My big recommendation at the moment is still Orphan Black, a fantastic show which hardly anyone seems to watch. The third season is starting shortly.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Applecore wrote:But The Joker isn't in it.. There's an episode on next week called "Red Hood". That's it so far.

Besides, as I said, the "Batman villains" are not yet "Batman villains" (in fact in most cases they're not even yet villains). The Penguin is still called Oswald Cobblepot, Harvey Dent is still a lawyer and Edward Nygma works for the police. When they become the characters they're known to be, then Bruce will be Batman. The show is intended as an origin story for Jim Gordon, and explores who the villains were before they became enemies of Batman. If you want to think of it as a Batman show, then it's the origin story of everyone BUT Batman, because his story is so well known that it would be pointless to retread.

And this is exactly why I had no interest in it. It's the exact same as every other prequel - determined to shoehorn in references to the original. I only watched the first two episodes, but they'd already included Bruce Wayne, Alfred, Nygma, Selina Kyle and the Penguin as recurring characters. Well, to me, I can't get into a story where that many of the major characters - including Jim and Barbara - already have their endpoint defined, no matter what twists and turns happen you know how it ends. The only major characters that didn't have that (as far as I'm aware) were Jim's partner (who was boring and one dimensional in the episodes I watched), the black woman Fish(?) and the main mob boss guy (who might have been the one Batman killed off in Batman Begins, I'm not sure). Much like all prequels, I didn't see the point.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Bearstock

Postby Bearstock » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:43 pm

Ive been enjoying Gotham although I wouldn't say it's brilliant.

It's a cop show set in the Gotham and is more giving a sense of how and why the city became so corrupt in the first place whilst also delving into Jim Gordon as a young man, previously only really been seen as an elder wise head type figure.

I think it's pretty been pretty solid so far, although I'm watching it on Channel Five so am only 10 episodes in.

I am curious though how long they can really run with it for though.

Season 4 of Revenge as picked up after a slow cloggy start.

The 100 is still hit and miss with too many irritating characters but it's alright.

My big recommendation at the moment is still Orphan Black, a fantastic show which hardly anyone seems to watch. The third season is starting shortly.

Do you know if BBC Three are gonna be showing the third season?
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Potato-Jim wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Skip Dexter. Not worth.

The first four series are awesome though.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:23 am

^ This is true. Season 4 especially.

I think Daryl is now my least favourite character in The Walking Dead, because he's the only thing that keeps me watching this fucking show :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:32 am

Well, The Walking Dead becomes even duller by the week.
Walk, mope, sit, mope, sleep, mope, walk a bit more, mope, mope, mope.
Hurry the fuck up and do the story I know you're heading towards, you boring bastards!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:02 pm

Jobdone wrote:
Smerphy wrote:^ Check out Hannibal if you haven't already

Just agreeing with both these points. Everyone should watch Hannibal.

Also I'm well behind on episodes, I still haven't seen the 3rd, but it was very funny in season 1 and 2. Not sure why I haven't got around to it.

Ill give it a bash tonight. Might watch the show you recommended if I have time.