The Anime Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: The Anime Thread

Postby Jobdone » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:17 pm

Full disclosure, I got withdrawals pretty quick from Tokyo Ghoul and ended up reading the manga over a weekend. The shit that goes on is fucking dopety dopeness. I can't wait to see that shit animated.

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:48 pm

I certainly hope so, because the animation now is absolutely beautiful. The kagune designs on the characters are easily some of the most striking and original superpower designs I've seen in any anime.

Also the into song to season 2 is hilariously bad. Just read the lyrics! Some guy did a pretty cool intro crossover with Parasyte though. They re-edited the thing and used the song from Parasyte and it looks so much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53KYi_DDU6U

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul both ended pretty well, and I just finished Black Lagoon which was pretty awesome.

Any recommendations for something to watch next? I'm considering Ghost In The Shell; first the film, and then the SAC series. Thoughts?

Also is anyone watching Aldnoah Zero? Wondering if that's any good either.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:37 pm

After you guys kept mentioning it, decided to check out Tokyo Ghoul. Devoured (lol) the first season in a few days. Oops, good thing there's a second.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:24 am

God, Jim, you were right about that season 2 TG intro music. What an absolute mess of a song.

As for things to watch next, I'm just going to go with my standard recommendation of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Start from the beginning (Phantom Blood) and work your way up to the current arc, Stardust Crusaders. It's wonderful.

Failing that, Kaiji was also a brilliant series about high stakes gambling. Seems pretty underrated to me, but I loved it.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:46 am

Tokyo Ghoul is great, although I need to finish watching season two.

I tried watching Steins;Gate, I don't really know what to make of it. I don't know if it's the English dub, but the main character... just no.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:49 am

Haven't seen the dub, but the japanese voice actor was one of my favourites ever. The emotional range that guy has is insane.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:51 am

I'm refusing to watch Steins;Gate as apparently the original visual novel game is a lot better (and gets an English Vita release next month). Sounds a bit like a Danganronpa situation in that regard - anime was mediocre, but that game is one of the most addictive things I've played in the last few years.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:55 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Tokyo Ghoul is great, although I need to finish watching season two.

I tried watching Steins;Gate, I don't really know what to make of it. I don't know if it's the English dub, but the main character... just no.

Not seen the dub (ew, dubs), but Okabe is supposed to be a bit childish, acting like he's a mad scientist battling some secret government organisation, when he's basically just a geeky college student with too much time on his hands, and he knows it.

I've said it before, but S;G is a bit of a slow starter, but then the shit hits the fan and it really shines. It has to be seen in it's entirety to be fully appreciated, due to timey-wimey spoilers.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Started Parasyte.

A dog just split it's face open and grew wings.

Down as fuck for this show.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:24 pm

Sold, will watch that after Tokyo Ghoul.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:36 pm

WorMzy wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Tokyo Ghoul is great, although I need to finish watching season two.

Not seen the dub (ew, dubs), but Okabe is supposed to be a bit childish, acting like he's a mad scientist battling some secret government organisation, when he's basically just a geeky college student with too much time on his hands, and he knows it.

I've said it before, but S;G is a bit of a slow starter, but then the shit hits the fan and it really shines. It has to be seen in it's entirety to be fully appreciated, due to timey-wimey spoilers.

I'll stick with it then! Tbh I'm mostly doing other things while watching anime, so unless the dub is awful, I watch it in dub. But his english dub might be annoying enough for me to switch to subs!

O/T: Parasyte is awesome :D

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:54 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the Stein;s Gate dub, personally.

Parasyte and Tokyo Ghoul are really similar shows but I preferred Tokyo Ghoul purely because it's a lot nicer to look at, and I found myself caring about more of the characters.

I tried watching Ghost In The Shell but it bored me to tears so I'm rewatching Fairy Tail with my brother :D

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:05 pm

They're all fine aside from the main character, he's just so over the top. But I'll stick with it as I said, only seen about three episodes or so so far.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:56 pm

VizardAmata wrote:They're all fine aside from the main character, he's just so over the top. But I'll stick with it as I said, only seen about three episodes or so so far.

I loved his over-the-top personality! But yeah, others here will agree with me when Stein;s Gate doesn't properly hit its stride until episode 9/10, whereas everything leading up to it is set-up. Stick with it, trust me :D