Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Tet » Mon May 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Apparently I'm the worst people. I sometimes do that.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Mon May 18, 2015 2:58 pm

Tet wrote:Apparently I'm the worst people. I sometimes do that.

For the good of humanity, please never do it again.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm

Tet wrote:Apparently I'm the worst people. I sometimes do that.

But why.

Self checkout is for like "I want a sandwich and a drink" not "I'm doing my weekly shop"

Stop abusing a good system.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Only used self checkout once before and never again. Didn't realise you had to have a member of staff present to buy alcohol. The fact is a member of staff told me to use it to avoid the queue. :rolleyes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon May 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Only used self checkout once before and never again. Didn't realise you had to have a member of staff present to buy alcohol. The fact is a member of staff told me to use it to avoid the queue. :rolleyes:

Well yeah, otherwise hoards of teenagers would be taking alcohol through the self service checkouts all the time :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 18, 2015 3:55 pm

I don't use supermarkets often. :B

Funnily enough it was going to BOA last year. Only one staff on the tills and the other member of staff sent us over to the self service till and disappeared. Surely she noticed it was crates of beer we were buying?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon May 18, 2015 4:05 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't use supermarkets often. :B

Funnily enough it was going to BOA last year. Only one staff on the tills and the other member of staff sent us over to the self service till and disappeared. Surely she noticed it was crates of beer we were buying?

There's normally a dedicated person looking after self service, due to the theft risk, and to clear age restricted alerts, etc.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon May 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Nope. We waited for ages and sodded off to another place. We had a train to catch.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon May 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Jobdone wrote:Self checkout is for like "I want a sandwich and a drink" not "I'm doing my weekly shop"

No, a self checkout is for "I don't want to have to deal with the moron sat at the till, I'll do it myself".

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon May 18, 2015 7:09 pm

Tet wrote:
Jobdone wrote:Self checkout is for like "I want a sandwich and a drink" not "I'm doing my weekly shop"

No, a self checkout is for "I don't want to have to deal with the moron sat at the till, I'll do it myself".

If that were true they would leave a lot more space for your items. As it's stands, there's space for one basket at most, anything more clogs up the whole area. It may be for that reason too, but the amount of shopping is clearly a factor.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon May 18, 2015 7:44 pm

Danroush wrote:If that were true they would leave a lot more space for your items. As it's stands, there's space for one basket at most, anything more clogs up the whole area.

That's clearly not true. Indeed, the trolleys conveniently dovetail into the basket area of the checkout, occupying little more space than if you only had a basket. Almost as if they'd been designed that way...

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon May 18, 2015 8:00 pm

They're for baskets and small trolleys. 45% of customers in my store use them and that includes trolleys. The main thing to remember is as tet says you can fit them in so that they aren't in the way, and you can fill a bag and then remove it once the last item put in has been weighed so you have room in the bagging area. And yes, someone needs to be there to approve alcohol, the till cannot see how old you are, it is a machine :lol:

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon May 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Some (most) self checkouts won't let you remove a bag of shopping (to put into your trolley) even after you've scanned an item and had it weight verified - it just halts and asks for assistance. Though I have occasionally seen SCOs (at an ASDA) that have belts on them and are actually designed for trolleys.

Some supermarkets have some room at the SCO bank for trolleys (like some larger Tescos) but some are just way to small for trolleys (medium sized Morrisons).
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon May 18, 2015 8:41 pm

On ours if you take a bag off it asks for assistance but you just have to press "I removed item or bag" on the screen and it let's you continue. Morrison's ones are the worst things going, they're just horrible.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 pm

I'm not fond of self-service checkouts, but at least they gave us one of the most amusing utterances to use after farting and unexpectedly follow through: "Unexpected item in the bagging area!"
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!