Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue May 19, 2015 6:36 pm

siliconfury wrote:I've registered my debit card for contactless on the tube, so I don't even need to carry an Oyster!

Holy crap, you can do that? The future really is here!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue May 19, 2015 6:39 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
siliconfury wrote:I've registered my debit card for contactless on the tube, so I don't even need to carry an Oyster!

Holy crap, you can do that? The future really is here!

Yup: https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue May 19, 2015 7:12 pm

I hope you guys have shielded wallets, and never leave your cards lying around.

I prefer security over convenience. It only takes a few seconds to put in your PIN number.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue May 19, 2015 7:32 pm

*lose card without realising for a few hours*

*spend panic stricken minutes on phone to premium rate bank helpline to find out if someone has helped themselves to a pinless shopping spree, costing you, the bank and the other bank customers money in the long run*

But it's fine; Future. Seconds literally gained.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Tue May 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Noodle wrote:*lose card without realising for a few hours*

*spend panic stricken minutes on phone to premium rate bank helpline to find out if someone has helped themselves to a pinless shopping spree, costing you, the bank and the other bank customers money in the long run*

But it's fine; Future. Seconds literally gained.

That would happen with or without contactless.

EDIT: My bank's stolen card hotline is freephone :P

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue May 19, 2015 8:00 pm

There's something about contactless that feels way less secure.

Obviously with normal cards they can just jump online and do the same thing, but it feels so much shiftier with contactless.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Danroush wrote:As it's stands, there's space for one basket at most, anything more clogs up the whole area.

If that's so, then why do they tell you where to put your trolley?

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
siliconfury wrote:What? I love contactless, it's way faster than C+P.

Yeah -I don't get the objections. It's so quick and convenient.

WTF? I'd expect better from you, Jim. Speed is irrelevant. Convenience is irrelevant. They're horribly insecure, which trumps everything. I very much object to having them forced on me, and I now have to have an RFID blocking wallet because of it.

Also, Oyster cards are a privacy nightmare. But it's hard to avoid them :-(

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue May 19, 2015 10:44 pm

When my dad came back from New Zealand he found it really strange not paying for everything via contactless. It pretty much replaced cash for him. I do have a contactless pre-pay debit card which is kinda nice, but since Vodafone changed their app I cba using it.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue May 19, 2015 10:48 pm

ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:also has same capping (max amount charged per day) as an oyster card, which makes life a lot easier.

Well, no. They have a limit per transaction (currently £20, due to rise to £30 later this year). Any further restrictions, such as per-day transaction quantity or per-day transaction value limits may optionally be imposed by the individual card issuers. But they may not. And surprise, surprise, they generally don't publish that information. I've so far failed to find out what limits (if any) my bank imposes, for example. So if you happen to have a card from a bank without limits, a stolen card could be used to empty the account without any authentication being required.

FWIW, Chip & Pin is also a security nightmare. I'm largely switching to using cash for everything these days.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue May 19, 2015 10:56 pm

We don't accept contactless payment but I do get a laugh every time someone holds their card on the reader instead of actually putting it in.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Wed May 20, 2015 6:12 am

Tet wrote:
ScrumpiesVeteran wrote:also has same capping (max amount charged per day) as an oyster card, which makes life a lot easier.

Well, no. They have a limit per transaction (currently £20, due to rise to £30 later this year). Any further restrictions, such as per-day transaction quantity or per-day transaction value limits may optionally be imposed by the individual card issuers. But they may not. And surprise, surprise, they generally don't publish that information. I've so far failed to find out what limits (if any) my bank imposes, for example. So if you happen to have a card from a bank without limits, a stolen card could be used to empty the account without any authentication being required.

FWIW, Chip & Pin is also a security nightmare. I'm largely switching to using cash for everything these days.

I believe Scrumpies means capping on using it as an oyster, so you don't get charged anymore per day than on an oyster card, not anything else.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Wed May 20, 2015 6:37 am

Tet wrote:They're horribly insecure, which trumps everything. I very much object to having them forced on me, and I now have to have an RFID blocking wallet because of it.

So? You have to be careful, deal with it. You have passwords on your computer no doubt. You put trust into SSL for secure websites and online payment, I bet. You use cash machines which you trust don't have skimmers on.

Every part of security infrastructure does have risks, you just have to manage them.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 am

siliconfury wrote:
Tet wrote:They're horribly insecure, which trumps everything. I very much object to having them forced on me, and I now have to have an RFID blocking wallet because of it.

So? You have to be careful, deal with it. You have passwords on your computer no doubt. You put trust into SSL for secure websites and online payment, I bet. You use cash machines which you trust don't have skimmers on.

Every part of security infrastructure does have risks, you just have to manage them.

This. I've NEVER had my card details stolen and i've used some dodgy as fuck looking cash machines and ordered from loads of online stores. I had my hotmail hacked once and that was the only time my online security has had a problem. There are far easier ways to get card details than from contactless cards that can get you much more than £20 a time.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Wed May 20, 2015 10:48 am

Tet wrote:
Danroush wrote:As it's stands, there's space for one basket at most, anything more clogs up the whole area.

If that's so, then why do they tell you where to put your trolley?

pic

I already said I was referring to the ones I've seen, Tet. I don't quite see the point of your reply here. It seems like you completely missed my reply and went back and read (and quoted) my first post again :?
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1