movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Sat May 23, 2015 7:45 pm

Starry Eyes

Woman wants acting job. Woman has to shady shit to get acting job. Shady shit involved pentagrams. Shit gets real fucky.

Well worth a watch.

Has the worrying thing where it's also adding random synth tracks all over the place. This seems to be popping up more and more. I mean, it's nice every once in a while for a movie to have that 70s/80s feel, but I feel like this is just gonna get run into the ground harder and harder until I hate synth tracks again.

8/10

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun May 24, 2015 3:36 pm

Mad Max.

Vroom vroom explody nipples vroom boom boom yes good

9/10

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun May 24, 2015 4:22 pm

I would've liked a little bit of extra context in the first few minutes of Mad Max about the history of Immortal Joe and the cult of the War Boys, but otherwise it was superb. Really non-stop old John Woo style pace to the action. It must be 30 full minutes before there is a quiet scene and a chance to take a breath.

10/10 worth every bit of the hype
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun May 24, 2015 10:45 pm

Yeah I can only agree, I loved it. Quite tempted to go see it again this week

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon May 25, 2015 12:58 pm

The Kingsmen

Awesome action, Michael Caine, and pugs.

8/10

2 points lost for obnoxious editing of the fightscenes.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue May 26, 2015 1:14 pm

A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT

Right from when I first saw the tagline, "The First Iranian Vampire Western", I knew I was going to have to watch this. Well, on closer inspection, "Iranian" seems to be a bit misleading as it was actually filmed in California and one of the executive producers is Elijah Wood.
And although it's of virtually no consequence whatsoever seeing as everybody speaks fluent Farsi throughout the whole film, it's also interesting to note that the female vampire, Sheila Vand, was born in Los Angeles as a second generation Iranian, male lead, Arash Marendi, does appear to be Iranian, although one born and raised in Frankfurt, and although Marshall Manesh (who plays Marendi's drug addict father) is definitely Iranian, he is already well known to western audiences from appearances in films like True Lies, Pirates of the Caribbean: At world's End, and TV shows such as Will and Grace, Scrubs and How I Met Your Mother. Pimp, drug dealer, and general tattooed bad guy, Dominic Rains, is Iranian but again has also been seen in Flashforward and various other TV shows. Even the town DJ's voice will be recognisable to anyone who watches Bones. However, like I said, all that's inconsequential really, as the actors speak Persian, and even though the film was shot in Bakersfield, you wouldn't actually know it unless you'd been told.

Set in the fictitious "Bad City", the story follows local boy, Arash (Marendi), who owes money to a drug dealer (Rains). After going to pay off some of his debt with a pair of stolen earrings, Marendi meets a girl with blood on her face coming out of Rains's apartment and enters to find his body lying on the floor. After a quick panic, Arash steals a briefcase full of drugs and money and tries to reinvent himself as a drug dealer and all round cool dude. However, after being coerced into taking one of his own tablets, his new-found cool guy image is quickly ruined as he ends up standing on the side of a road, dressed as Dracula, staring intently at a street light for half an hour.
Mysterious vampire girl (Vand) approaches him and takes him back to her place, and the two begin to fall in love. Sort of.

Shot entirely in black and white, AGWHAAN still manages to look fantastic. First time director, Ana Lily Amirpour, makes the town look beautiful and sinister at the same time, and during one scene which is pure David Lynch, even makes you forget for a while that the film isn't shot in colour. Dialogue is sparse, and the action minimal (one of the film's best scenes only features a handful of words and a minimum of movement), but it's an engrossing film nonetheless. Definitely slow moving, but never boring. On the negative side of things, the oil fields look a little unrealistic, and there are a couple of scenes which go on longer than they need to, but they're minor quibbles.

8.5/10

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue May 26, 2015 8:42 pm

I've heard they're planning a sequel, set in Jamaica, called When Homeward A Girl Walks Alone At Night.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 am

Darkweasel wrote:I never honestly thought for a solitary moment that Luc Besson could ever direct a sci-fi film worse than The Fifth Element

You...you take that back. The fifth Element is a wonderful film!
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:45 am

Bisset wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:I never honestly thought for a solitary moment that Luc Besson could ever direct a sci-fi film worse than The Fifth Element

You...you take that back. The fifth Element is a wonderful film!

Yeah, The Fifth Element is a really fun film.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed May 27, 2015 2:11 pm

glad i wasnt the only one thinking that :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu May 28, 2015 6:39 am

It's awful.
Still can't believe I sat through it all at the cinema. Should have cut my losses and left after half an hour like I wanted.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Thu May 28, 2015 9:15 am

Darkweasel wrote:It's awful.
Still can't believe I sat through it all at the cinema. Should have cut my losses and left after half an hour like I wanted.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that, for the past 15 years I've been driving myself mad convinced that I can't see what it is about that film that everyone loves. Its awful. I've even re-watched it on more than one occasion but it just seems to get worse!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 28, 2015 12:35 pm

I saw the Fifth Element at the cinema after spending the afternoon in the pub. Dozed in and out of sleep during it half pissed. All I remember about it is some crazy haired shouty dude and that I was confused to fuck every time I woke up.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Jurassic World is ace.
Unless you hate dinosaurs or fun.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:17 am

Watched a few movies over the weekend, a possible new favourite is Edge of Sanity.

Dr Jeckyll goes on a crack binge, and turns into Jack the Ripper.

9/10