TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Darkweasel » Fri May 29, 2015 7:43 am

Great show but lower your expectations for the finale.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri May 29, 2015 7:48 am

Yeah, I've watched enough long shows at this point to know how completely off the rails and shite things can go even by the 3rd season, but I'm looking forward to the ride.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:21 pm

BSG went badly downhill mid season 3. That season started off brilliant for 6-8 episodes than nose dived spectacularly until the last few. I liked season 4 personally, it was definitely a marmite year but the last batch of episodes were great imo. Although the very end was a bit...obvious.

Game of Thrones has really gone up a few notches with episodes 7,8 and 9 of S5. After the last one I don't think there are any boundaries left for them to cross!

Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Potato-Jim » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Orange Is The New Black season 3 is great so far!

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:46 pm

I never got community
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:33 am

So, what have I been up to while the forum has been down?
TV. Lots of TV.

Man Seeking Woman
Brilliant and bizarre comedy where Jay Baruchel splits up with his long term girlfriend and comes to terms with single life through a series of surreal skits. Sort of like the bizarre cutaways during Scrubs but without any of the hospital stuff.

Hannibal is back and just as fucked up as before. There's a moment in the second episode which will make you doubt your own sanity.

Sense8
Ambitious, convoluted story from the Wachowskis about a group (cluster) of people on different continents who discover they are all linked somehow. Slow, violent, sexy, and strange. But mostly slow. A transgender lead actress, tampon waving, and actual real life births give you an idea of what's in store.
But always remember. It's slow.

Fortitude
Slower than Sense8.
Everybody's happy small town life in the arctic circle comes to an abrupt halt when people start getting killed. Something about mammoths and wasps too. It's all a bit of a non event really. Characters say and do convenient things with different levels of acting ability, become grossly stupid, brilliantly clever, or just plain weird whenever the script calls for it, but it is beautifully shot.

iZombie
Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets CSI for people who have seen neither. Badly acted, wafer-thin and predictable stories filled with composite characters lifted from other, far better shows.
But mainly Buffy.

Community ended decently enough, I suppose.
Six seasons and no movie please.

Penny Dreadful has hit a bit of a rough patch. The last two episodes have dragged like they never have before.
Still not shit though, and miles better than most other shows at the moment.

Mr Robot looks promising if the pilot is anything to go by. Lots of indecipherable techno-babble but an interesting premise.

After a wobbly but fast paced and always interesting four episodes, Wayward Pines finally went full Dome this week.

Game of Thrones was Game of Thrones. But slower.
Much slower.
Easily the worst season to date, with some of the most telegraphed deaths so far. Seven and a half hours of "positioning the pieces" before finally getting somewhere in the last couple. A massively unbalanced series which only seemed to have people talking about it because of a rape/not rape argument has made me question for the first time whether it's worth even continuing with.

Daredevil wasn't quite as good as people were making out, but was still very enjoyable nonetheless. Brilliant last couple of episodes, but too long overall though.

Tried watching episodes from three series of Veep now. I really want to like this show but I just don't. I have only raised one smile and half a smirk in over three hours of watching it.

Aquarius was too long, annoying and really fucking dull. David Duchovny basically played his character like a combination of The X-Files and Californication. Studious investigator one minute, bed-hopping lust bunny the next. Fox Moody at your service.
The soundtrack was quality though, even if not much else was.
Cancel please.

Salem carries on doing what it does best. Witches, sex, blood, and Lucy Lawless.

Big in Hollywoood, Fl is another comedy I gave up on after a few episodes. Lots of movie references and homages, but not much else.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:53 pm

I watched one episode of Sense8, really wanted to like it because a) I'm a huge fan of JMS and b) to prove the Wachowskis haven't completely lost it after the shitfest of Jupiter Ascending. That episode was so stultifyingly boring that not even a naked lesbian Freema Agyeman could save it and I have little interest in seeing anymore.

I've about 4 episodes to go of Flash, it's a fun show but I only bother to catch up with an episode when I've nothing at all else to do. It's far from 'must see' but harmlessly entertaining.

I thought the last 4 episodes of GoT were bloody brilliant personally and it's still the best thing on tv by some margin.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:23 pm

I haven't liked a single thing The Wachowskis have done since The Matrix.
Nothing.
not a sausage.

That's why Sense8 came as a bit of a surprise to me. I only gave it the time of day because I had nothing else left to watch, and quite a few people I know (internet and real life) were watching it.
Maybe it was because my expectations were in the dirt before it even began, but it really didn't seem as slow as some people were saying. Yes, there were moments that seemed to drag on forever, but I liked the characters (the African and Mexican chaps mainly), so I went along for them.
And a dripping wet dildo is always nice to see on TV.

Apart from when it's Jamie Oliver.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:40 pm

finished game of thrones season 5 just a minute ago. the ending was spoiled for me earlier in the week but there was so much more to the episode that has me excited for the next season, that as gutted as i am because one of my favourite characters is gone, i know i will be as invested in it as ever when it comes back. the big thing for me was the appearance of the very big thing. that has to be going somewhere.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:24 pm

The problem with GoT is that it's stopped being about the story of Westeros, and has become a "how can we shock the audience this week?" program. I predict the next season will be 90% gruesome deaths and rapes. :rolleyes:

It's worth noting that the TV series has just about caught up with the books (and actually overtaken them in the case of Stannis' and Myrcella's story), so the next season is almost completely unknown.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:30 pm

WorMzy wrote:The problem with GoT is that it's stopped being about the story of Westeros, and has become a "how can we shock the audience this week?" program. I predict the next season will be 90% gruesome deaths and rapes. :rolleyes:

It's worth noting that the TV series has just about caught up with the books (and actually overtaken them in the case of Stannis' and Myrcella's story), so the next season is almost completely unknown.

There's a really good interview with GRRM somewhere refuting this suggestion that it's just about random shocks. Every major character that's died hasn't just died out of the blue or for no reason, they've made bad decisions, acted stupidly and got their comeuppance.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Soze wrote:
WorMzy wrote:The problem with GoT is that it's stopped being about the story of Westeros, and has become a "how can we shock the audience this week?" program. I predict the next season will be 90% gruesome deaths and rapes. :rolleyes:

There's a really good interview with GRRM somewhere refuting this suggestion that it's just about random shocks. Every major character that's died hasn't just died out of the blue or for no reason, they've made bad decisions, acted stupidly and got their comeuppance.

Barristan Selmy didn't! Nor did Myrcella (though she might not be dead) or Shireen though her death did make sense in the course of the story.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:12 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:Barristan Selmy didn't! Nor did Myrcella (though she might not be dead) or Shireen though her death did make sense in the course of the story.

I wouldn't call any of those 'major' characters.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Fucking hannibals been cancelled :(

No season 4, sad times :cry:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:38 am

What a brilliant return to form for Penny Dreadful this week. Now that's more fucking like it! :D

Another return to form this week in Salem. Great penultimate episode.

The first episode of True Detective was absorbing if nothing else. A different vibe entirely to the first season, but I'm definitely more optimistic now. Not a fan of the new theme song though.

Shame about Hannibal. Hope it finds a new home.