Here we go again...

Good

Sabaton
Rob Zombie
Within Temptation
Spirytus
Ethereal
PIST
VIP Parking - there was ample this year!
VIP Toilets - a blessing on every visit
Showsec - as usual, always extremely helpful and friendly
Deli Kate - goes without saying, amazing food, awesome staff
The Hippy Chippy - really good chips and cheese (with bacon bits!)
The tea van thing in VIP - pretty good stuff on offer, and really nice folks!

Bad
The fucking heat, especially on Saturday
Within Temptation's technical fault - nobody's fault really, sounded like the clicktrack causing the limiter to cut off the main feed
Did Ensiferum really need dancing girls?

Ugly
The annual witnessing of someone's chode on display on Thursday in the campsite
The chap who wandered around in the gimp suit. Must've been baking with that gear on.
Having my view blocked by some fucker who would just move into the crowd and stand right in front of you (by inches). Annoying when it happens but it literally happened at least five times this year.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Good and bad this year...

Postby JPMC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:17 pm

I have no idea what was different between this year and last year, but the sound quality on both main stage and especially in Sophie was markedly better overall. Maybe it was the warmer weather, but everything sounded damned good other than some small pockets of poor start of set mixes that took a couple of songs to get sorted. But everything sounded right, clear and tight. Whatever was different, keep doing that.

The loos in VIP were much better this year. Could maybe have done with an extra trailer but hey ho. And of course the showers are a god-send. It's probably the main thing that keeps me in VIP.

WTF happened with Within Temptation? Three times to start Ice Queen and total failure. Shame, it's one of their better blast from the past songs. A bit embarrassing there.

Bad... The VIP food stall. Yes, that one. I had food from there on Thursday. I was dog shite ill all day Friday. A fellow camper also had food from there Saturday evening and was dog shite ill all day Sunday to the point of needing a medic to check him out. He got it far worse than I did as I'm a larger lad, but really. He didn't drink all that much and the amount of sick that came out of him was unreal.

The stalls in the main arena were better and cheaper than the VIP food stall. You got a dodgy one there, Bloodstock. The guys last year with the hog roast were far more professional and much tastier! I didn't see a food thermometer in a single hand of the VIP food stall workers this year. To add to that, one of our lot got an egg sandwich one morning from them which I'm pretty sure we could have brought back to life it was so undercooked. It was practically egg-shaped water. Totally unacceptable!

The coffee stand was good though! Great range of coffees and the pay what you want croissants were more than welcome. I did miss the coffee stands just outside the main campsite gate to VIP from last year. Those guys just seemed to be open the whole time and when you're up at 6:30 as is inevitable at Bloodstock, waiting 3 hours for VIP to open sucked ass.

A big shout out to the smoothie stall. My compadre and I wandered into the main arena at about 7:30 one morning totally desperate in search of coffee. The people there were really friendly for stupid-o-clock in the morning. Especially the girl with dreadlocks who took pity on our predicament and furnished us with her wares. And it was cheaper than the still-closed stall in VIP. Though we're talking 20p here, nothing to complain about. But a really good bunch in there.

All you riff raff in Midgard were all noisy as hell. I think the words "bloody peasants" came out a few times ;) Hahaha.

Oh and of course, Battle of Nations were thoroughly entertaining. Though for the second year running, it was really difficult to find out exactly what times things were going on. Please put them in the lanyard for next year, I reckon they would have a much larger turnout and they're worth seeing!

Bands of the weekend for me were Overkill, Ne Obliviscaris, Pro Pain (monstrously small crowd) and Ethereal. I didn't bother with Trivium. Boiling my own head in the nearest portaloo was a far more appealing prospect.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Re: 2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby JPMC » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Yes, Ensiferum did need dancing girls. Stop being so prudish.

Ferrers1471
Lowly Peon

Re: Good and bad this year...

Postby Ferrers1471 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 pm

As one of the Battle of the Nations guys beating the crap out of each other, thanks for the comment. We do two slots each day - normally around 11 and 5. Saturday night we put on the fighting by torchlight. Glad you enjoyed it. As to the line up - managed to see Sabaton, Within Temptation and Delain. The overall lineup seemed to be as about as balanced a range of genres as its possible to get, although of course you'll never please everyone.

Good: Sabaton, Within Temptation, Delain. Can't offer good comments on others cos these were all I got to see.

Bad: Nothing really - too busy fighting and recovering from fighting to notice.

Ugly: Possibly having to listen to a couple of idiots express their opinions of Within Temptation loudly and unpleasantly for the first few minutes of their set. I'm no prima donna when it comes to swearing - this is a metal festival ffs. However, there were young children within earshot and this was full on and continual abuse. Yes, both were pissed up and trolling for a reaction but their desire to show what metal purists they were just showed them up as a couple of douchebag losers. Yeah - I appreciate that WT are not "metal" enough for some people. Others feel that metal is a broad church and listen to a range of bands accordingly.
Last edited by Ferrers1471 on Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:45 pm

I found the look the keyboardist gave when the dancing girls came out said it all. Unimpressed wasn't the word. :lol: :lol:

Good;

Sabaton. Just epic.
Lawnmower Deth. Didn't know what to expect. Didn't expect that; bloody hell!
The Motley Brew were back. Those guys are ace.

Bad;

Korpiklaani. I wanted non stop jig pits for 40 minutes. I'm not a fan of the newer stuff.

Ugly;

The wasps and flies hanging round the smoothie stand. Can't be helped with the weather but best keep open fruit closed IMO...
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:55 pm

Good
How easy everything felt this year - the travelling, the walk into the campsite, taking it all down just felt so easy
Ne Oblivscaris
Sabaton
Delain
Agalloch
Godflesh
Hanowar
Within Temptation
Sound seemed much improved this year (with some exceptions)

Bad
Rob Zombie closing the festival - was so underwhelming. Trivium didn't really seem up to the task either, but I was expecting a bit more from Rob.
Ihsahn. Was expecting more. Wish I'd watched the band on the new blood stage
Opeth's setlist. Mostly yawny.
The set times. Enslaved and Ne still piss me off, but there were so many issues. It was unprofessional
Next year looks shit already.

Ugly
Me.
The campsite monday morning
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Good - toilets, could even shit in Midgard bogs every night and even Monday morning - well done for a vast improvement! Security, normally get tons of shit but this year they were really chilled really nice guys who were courteous and helpful- deserve some kudos!
Lots of bands I like but you may not so no point in me listing them.

Bad - FUCKING CHAIRS IN THE ARENA - FUCK OFF, left hand side of the stage was ridiculous , you couldn't get past the fucking things and they take up so much room, it's like towels on sun loungers in Spain the way people plant them and leave them there all day, they seriously need banning or restricted to a designated area, preferably miles away.

Ugly - the guy walking around with his bollocks out showing everyone how he'd managed to pierce his scrotum with a pin badge, nice.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Good:
-New Blood sound. To the point where it was consistently better than the Sophie stage and, in some cases, the main stage.
-The people.
-My neighbours.
-Atmosphere still "Bloodstock".
-My standout bands: Fleshgod Apocalypse, their sound, the size of the crowd, great post-headliners. Sabaton.
-Showsec. Every one of them I spoke to said that Bloodstock is great to work given the comparable lack of trouble. They were chilled and friendly.
-New Blood stage crew, who came to the rescue of both Deli Kate and the chicken tikka stall on tuesday.
-Kids with heavy duty ear protection all the time inside the arena.

Bad:
I don't know how Vicky booked the sun for the entire weekend, but she booked *far* too much of it for too long.
-Sophie stage sound from Saturday onwards. Seemed either too loud or too top heavy.
-Inability to remember much of Thursday due to suddenly becoming a lightweight. Sorry to anyone I met and babbled to, shouted at, stumbled over, etc. One year I will learn.
-Kids *without* ear protection.
-That's it. It's over for another year.

Ugly:
I look, smell and feel like I've just been to Bloodstock.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:51 pm

GOOD:

Sabaton, Pist, Spirytus, Xerath, Within Temptation
The ShowSec bloke on Thursday night when I fell arse over tit and hit my head due to a guy rope that was pegged out way too far into the walkway. He immediately ran to me to check me over and make sure I wasn't more badly hurt than I seemed. Top lad.
All the toilets! Not once did I go into a paper-less toilet, either in the arena or campsite. Very clean and surprisingly unsmelly too. Bravo Bloodstock.
Meeting Joakim Brodén.
FINALLY doing the bungee ride this year, and not emptying my stomach afterwards.
The company all weekend, friends old and new.

BAD:

Technical problems, most notably for Within Temptation and Xerath. No idea whose fault it was, and it doesn't really matter, but two of the best sets of the weekend were marred by tech issues.
Ensiferum's go-go dancers were the weirdest thing ever.
Trivium closing Friday was like eating a really good meal only to find a dead fly in the very last bit. Sabaton felt like Friday's headliner to me.
The cold shower I had on Friday morning.

UGLY:

The state of my sunburn. I always seem to burn no matter what effort I put in to prevent it.
The very visible man parts on the guy dressed as Deadpool.
The guy in full bondage gear in 26-degree heat.
The guy tripping balls in the Sophie Tent.
WASPS. Fuck. Off.
Last edited by Fjar on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Good

-Most of the bands I watched ranged from good to spectacular.
-Seeing a lot of old faces and meeting loads of new ones.
-Deli Kates and Monkshood.
-Showsec were fantastic and friendly. I'm starting to recognise their faces and vice versa.
-The general atmosphere and camaraderie.
-Toilets were much much better.

Bad

-The bloody intense heat of Saturday was really draining.
-Quite a lot of sets were interrupted or delayed by technical difficulties.
-There seemed to be a few more punters who were a bit more confrontational and rude.

Diatribe warning: Fucking crowdsurfers. I know they will always be at festivals and nothing I can say or do will make any difference but I am damn well entitled to express my disdain. If you are going to crowdsurf, keep your fucking legs up and don't wear spiked or steel tipped/capped boots. Don't writhe around like a special person and fling your elbows in peoples faces. Don't be overweight and crowdsurf, seriously, do you realise how potentially dangerous it is for 100kg+ of weight to come hurtling down on someone's neck? Yes, there is the don't stand at the front argument (especially during Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death) but it is unfair that those wanting to be up front to actually watch the bands are subjected to an endless barrage of mongoloid bodies with vacant stares on their faces without a fucking shred of acknowledgment or compassion towards the people that are supporting their weight to ensure they don't break their necks.

The Ugly

-Older gentleman who broke/dislocated his ankle while crowdsurfing to Napalm, that shit was plain gruesome.
-bloody wasps and spiders.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:15 pm

The Good
  • Sabaton
  • The look on my other half's face when Sabaton took the piss out of her sign
  • The loos were excellent. Never had one without toilet paper and people seemed to keep them fairly clean.
  • SABATON
  • Within Temptation
  • Sun. Lots and lots of cancerous sun. Perfect weather.
  • Delain
  • Hanowar. I got two swords!
  • Showsec. Those guys are brilliant and deserve as much praise as possible.
  • Samaritans tent. Also a fantastic bunch of people. They love being at this festival for the respect they get from every one else as well.
  • The sound this year was very good in general. Much less at the mercy of the wind too.
  • IRC camp and the night time march.
  • Glorious glorious Kate and her ice lollies and duck.
  • Overall it ended up being a good balanced line up with lots of seemingly minor infrastructure improvements that make a smooth flowing, fun festival that made us collectively go on Sunday afternoon "Where the fuck has the time gone?!".
  • Chilling in my chair in the sun all day to the left of the stage.
  • Security handing out cups of water through the day to the people on the barrier.
  • Lots of people drinking said water and being sensible.
  • SABATON! Seriously, they'll be headlining in a couple of years.

The Bad
  • Korpiklaani have gone a bit shit lately, really
  • So have Ensiferum.
  • Trivium always were going to be shit and I was proven right.
  • The old bat who told me to shut up as I was having a chat with a friend in between tracks for Within Temptation.
  • The issues the aforementioned had, even though the band and the camera crew handled it really well.

The Ugly
  • Lets leave that one...

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Good:
* Weather. Maybe a bit too much sun.
* Bands: Jettblack, Sabaton, Enslaved, Ne O (what I saw of both), Ensiferum, Korpiklaani, Orange Goblin, Wolf, Agalloch, Red Rum.. plenty of others.
* People: lots of campsite banter, but not too noisy on a night. Forum meet, and irc camp were very welcoming too, even for a socially awkward penguin like me.
* Showsec: very well organised. lovely people to talk to.
* Noodle found a stall selling mead! Alas, it was in VIP, but he bought a couple of glasses for me.
* Deli Kate: 'nuff said.

Bad:
* Trivum: Trivium.
* Within Temptation: Terrible set list. Technical problems with one of the very few good songs. Bitterly disappointed, as I was really looking forward to seeing them.
* Rob Zombie: Was that it?
* Amount of people in 'Fuck off' t-shirts.
* Wasps, didn't see that many, but there was enough to be annoying.
* Ran out of mead. :c
* Got sunlotion in my eye on Friday. No one sold eye patches, so I bought a tie to use instead. Still partially blinded by Sunday night. %

Ugly:
* I think I was fortunate, I didn't see anything ugly. Might have been because of the sunlotion
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:44 pm

The good

- VIP loos and showers were kept clean and stocked all weekend. Same with normal arena/camp site loos.
- Getting to see loads of the forum crowd on Thursday night.
- Food from Deli Kate's, as always!
- The overall spirit and sense of community I felt this weekend was awesome. It really is like coming home.
- SABATON - they saw our sign, and Dan got me a plectrum :D!!
- Security, they were awesome as always. I dread the day we no longer have Showsec, let's hope it never comes to that.
- Boobs.
- Dodgems.
- Lots of awesome bands.

Bad

- The chicken noodles from the Noodle Bar made me sick as fuck. Having the shits at 4 o'clock in the morning is not fun.
- Wasps. Loads of.
- The guy who insisted that my sign said I gave away free hugs. Fuck off you creep.

Ugly

Overdosing on Sunday night and spending a lot of time in the medical tent.

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:11 pm

Give it 2-3 years and Sabaton will headline. Guaranteed. They've got the stage presence and given the crowd they got they've also got the draw.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:53 pm

The Good

- Seeing as many of you lovely people as I did
- Sabaton
- All the other bands I saw
- Sabaton
- Carling Ciders actually quite nice
- Sabaton
- The portaloos were ridiculously clean everytime I went in there
- Sabaton
- Getting to tell the half a lemon joke about 50 times

The Bad

- The sun got way too hyped, I really need to buy some shorts
- Fucking wasps
- My bumhole turning into playdoh machine and squeezing some sloppy as fuck perfectly rectangle poos
- The fact that it's over
- How fucking demolished I got on the Thursday. Sorry if I did anything too twattish. I personally blame the geordie I met in the queue who banging down fosters and making me feel inadequate if I didn't keep up
- We played danger can too much and now my forehead is ruined

The Ugly

- Me every morning
- The amount of genitals I saw on display