Arena wifi

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Arena wifi

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am

As much as I hate to be the guy who goes on the forum just to complain, I really regret paying £15 for the arena wi-fi.

Across all four days I managed to get it to connect exactly four times, for a total of about five minutes.

The rest of the time it either kept hanging on "Obtaining IP address", or giving "authentication error" messages. Presumably because there wasn't enough capacity for the amount of people trying to connect to it, I don't know.

I don't know where the actual mast was located but I spent most of the festival near the main stage sound desk and the network was fairly consistently visible - just wouldn't actually connect.

I tried two different phones and got exactly the same results on both, so I'm sure it wasn't down to a problem with my device.

Biggest waste of money of my whole weekend. Next year I'll just do without wi-fi and live offline for the whole weekend, there's no way I'm paying for that again.

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Re: Arena wifi

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Example picspam (I have a lot of these although I did eventually get bored of screenshotting the same thing over and over):

Image Image Image

etc etc...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:28 pm

I never once managed to get it to connect.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Does that mean you weren't able to pay for it? Because mine connected fine the first time, and let me go to the payment page OK, just wouldn't behave after I'd paid.

(edit: to be clear, I'm not suggesting there's a conspiracy/deliberate ripoff happening here. I expect it's just because I registered and paid quite early, before it got busy.)
Last edited by beenabadbunny on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:37 pm

No, I wasn't able to pay for it. I literally couldn't connect once all weekend.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:45 pm

Shoulda tried it for an hour, seen if it had worked and then decided to plop £15 on it. I had it for a few minutes but seemed to have a really poor range.
Fjar wrote:I can't tell if she's got sun cream on or she's getting crusty round the edges..

I WRITE THINGS
last.fm

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:54 pm

False sense of security because the registration/payment pages worked perfectly first time. Again, I'm putting that down to luck rather than malice.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Didn't try add my festival phone doesn't do wifi (or any sort of Internet). Shit that you (and probably others) have lost a pile of cash on this, hope you can get some sort of refund. There should be a b logging system where they can see how much you got on which could help with a refund claim.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:20 pm

Mate paid on Fri morning and could not get a connection once all weekend. Not BOA's finest moment :(
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

DrunkanSurly
Lowly Peon

Postby DrunkanSurly » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Aye I paid a fiver for the day on friday and it worked flawlessly during the payment process and then I quickly managed to upload a pic onto Facebook, after that couldnt connect for the rest of the day so didnt even bother attempting to pay for Saturday and Sunday.

SlaytanicBacon
Powermetal Child

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

I only noticed it was a thing on Sunday, but could not even connect to it, I was standing right next to the mixing desk in the main arena.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:24 pm

I connected on the Thursday night and it worked...on the Thursday night. Didn't manage to get enough connectivity to so much as check the weather on the Met Office App for the rest of the weekend. Guessing they underestimated the number of people willing to shell out for internet access and the system couldn't handle it.

Might email this ADG Services company - the ones who received my paypal payment for the service - to see if I can get a refund.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Hypo199
Lowly Peon

Postby Hypo199 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:33 pm

I got it to connect most days but usually only in the vicinity of the merch stand and either at way past midnight or before 10am when there were as few people nearby as possible. The main problem is they set it up with on-line sign in and each 'hot spot' seemed to have single wi-fi router with the standard 256 available IP addresses. So any wi-fi enabled phones within range automatically locked onto the network and hogged any free IP addresses thus preventing paying users from connecting.

OffColour
Lowly Peon

Postby OffColour » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:02 am

Same here. Paid £15 on Friday, connected once for about three minutes and that was it. Never to be seen again.
Either obtaining IP address or connected but couldn't get the page to enter the code.
So where do we go for a refund?

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:24 pm

Hypo199 wrote:I got it to connect most days but usually only in the vicinity of the merch stand and either at way past midnight or before 10am when there were as few people nearby as possible. The main problem is they set it up with on-line sign in and each 'hot spot' seemed to have single wi-fi router with the standard 256 available IP addresses. So any wi-fi enabled phones within range automatically locked onto the network and hogged any free IP addresses thus preventing paying users from connecting.

254 available addresses, and I'd be very surprised it if was just a single router. These kinds of setups normally link back to some kind of server which manages it all.
I can't really believe the complaints about it...I wouldn't even bother trying. I've never seen public wifi system (paid for or otherwise) that was even slightly usable, let alone one which is likely to have 1000's of connected users!