2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
metalthrashingmad
Lowly Peon

Re: 2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby metalthrashingmad » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Had such an amazing time at bloodstock this year it was so much fan with great friends, bands and of course lots of beer.

The Good:
How clean the toilets were this year they were so much better than last year and even most of them had hand gel and toilet roll in them.
The weather, yes it did get a bit intense Saturday but was really glad it didn't rain.
Having no hangover despite getting drunk and going to the Sophie tent every night after all the bands have finished for the 4 dj's of the apocalypse.
So many great bands: Sabaton, Ensiferum, Death DTA, Cannibal Corpse, Belphegor, Agalloch, Orange Goblin, Sepultura, Opeth, Nuclear Assault, Overkill, Dark Angel, Armored Saint, Savage Messiah, BLS, Korpiklaani, Onslaught, loved all these bands was such a good line up.
A friend getting me a guitar pick from an Onslaught guitarist.
The dancing girls for Ensiferum, know some people thought it was a bit silly/strange but I loved it and I was very close to the barrier.

The Bad:
As I was walking back to my tent on Saturday after watching Xerath I simply just walked past a couple of girls at the entrance to midgaard (didn't look at them) and as I walked past them I heard one of them say "oh fuck off" as I walked past, wish I had said something back but I am not the type to get into fights/arguments as I am pretty quiet and didn't want to cause a scene in front of people, no idea why the poncy southern bitch felt the need to say that and behind my back was pretty spineless least say shit to my face if you have the nerve, didn't let it bother me though soon forgot about the retarded spunk bucket and carried on with an awesome weekend.

The Ugly:
Sunburn on my forearms from standing in the queue for ages on Thursday and not having unpacked my sun spray.
My stomach feeling a bit dodgy after a bacon roll and a sausage roll the day after, luckily didn't get sick but will not get them again.
The heat on Saturday, dam that was intense so glad I drank plenty of Water and ate properly.

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:40 pm

Good; Most bands that I caught
Bumping into my first housemate
Being able to save cash by cooking our own food for most of the festival
That chip van next to deli Kate (i would have gone there, but the queue was huge)
Knocking back at least fourteen cans of hobgoblin on saturday and waking up feeling fresh on Sunday
The friends I made in the disabled camping area
No rain all weekend. I even enjoyed the sun and heat.

The bad; Various things related to the disabled access, that will appear elsewhere on this forum
Didn't feel seps that much. Sounds weird with just one guitar, and no max.
My mate having to go to hospital because her knee flamed up, and ended up with an infection in the fluid on her knee.
The two fifty it cost to draw money out of the cash machines
Trying to avoid someone I know, because he's only tolerable in very small doses
The woman walking around with no top and tape over her nipples, and the woman with a very very see-through top on and no bra. I'm very open minded, but you know, there are kids about.
Keeping my septum pincher all weekend, and then losing it somehow when I took it out and put it away
My mate managing to stand on a full can of beer and break his leg in two places.

The ugly; The really drunk guy who was covered in blue body paint. He was staggering around with his mates during belphegor, which was annoying enough. But on saturday, as the sophie Lancaster tent was changing over for 4djsota, I saw him pretty much in the middle of the tent, jeans around Ankles, pissing freely. Not sure if he know where he was or just didn't care
I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:09 pm

ocean_of_ypres wrote:Trying to avoid someone I know, because he's only tolerable in very small doses

I've been in this situation a few times. If other friends are in the same boat, the trick is to come up with some kinda sign language when they've been spotted.

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:28 pm

ocean_of_ypres wrote: My mate managing to stand on a full can of beer and break his leg in two places.

That wasn't Chunk was it?

ocean_of_ypres
Warrior of Metal

Postby ocean_of_ypres » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:09 pm

Slev wrote:
ocean_of_ypres wrote: My mate managing to stand on a full can of beer and break his leg in two places.

That wasn't Chunk was it?

Bloody was. Wasn't with him when it happened, but I saw the ambulance fly down past us. Well, he can't say he's that unlucky though. He won tickets two years on the trot

NeglectedField wrote:
ocean_of_ypres wrote:Trying to avoid someone I know, because he's only tolerable in very small doses

I've been in this situation a few times. If other friends are in the same boat, the trick is to come up with some kinda sign language when they've been spotted.

My girlfriends mates agreed to do that "I'm in danger" signal from Team America, whenever they get collared by someone they don't want to talk to

I went a way for some time, but I guess I should come back and annoy people due to attending this year

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:11 pm

ocean_of_ypres wrote:Bloody was. Wasn't with him when it happened, but I saw the ambulance fly down past us. Well, he can't say he's that unlucky though. He won tickets two years on the trot

As I mentioned him too, he's been on this list twice!
I was his lift!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Really enjoyed this year, only a couple of niggles that would be in the bad column: the arrangement of the bar meant if you were buying a round and someone wanted ale and someone cider, it meant queuing up twice. The Serpents lair was understaffed on the Friday, but that got better as the weekend went on and rarely had to wait for more than one other person before I got served.

The only ugly bit was the seething bloke who entered the pit during BLS with his face covered in cuts, who was just looking for any slight to start something. Luckily he was the only one in that mood and he soon got the message to play nicely when the other moshers sat down.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:46 pm

nihility00 wrote:I think this thread is a great tool to weed out the pertinent points from the nonconstructive whining to create something better for BOA 2016, but, there seems to be a pattern emerging where people are waiting till after the event, in the safety of their own homes and behind the guise of their usernames to bitch about things they could have had the moral courage to confront in the first place.

Lets get back on topic.

Nih

Okay. How are we meant to complain or give praise? Write a letter to my MP or through a solicitor or something? There isn't exactly a complaints box or office at the festival. And I'm sure they have more important things to do than listen to me complaining that portaloo number three is out of toilet roll.

Over the years we have complained on here about many things.

We complained about the toilets last year. Result. Cleaner than ever.
Complained about poor security. Sorted.
Complained about binjoisting. Virtually sorted.
Complained about choice of beer. Much better variety.
Complained about youngsters serving in the bars. None this year.
Complained about noisy rides playing dance music. Sorted.
Etc.

I'm sure somebody from the "team" has a look in here and whilst they don't acknowledge the fact, the system works.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Re: Good and bad this year...

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 pm

JPMC wrote:Bad... The VIP food stall. Yes, that one. I had food from there on Thursday. I was dog shite ill all day Friday. A fellow camper also had food from there Saturday evening and was dog shite ill all day Sunday

Demonstrably false. I ate there throughout the weekend, as did several of my friends and acquaintances. Were it as bad as you were claiming, some or all of us would have been ill, but none were. Either the pair of you have exceptionally delicate constitutions or the source of your malaise lies elsewhere.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Tet wrote:Demonstrably false. I ate there throughout the weekend, as did several of my friends and acquaintances. Were it as bad as you were claiming, some or all of us would have been ill, but none were. Either the pair of you have exceptionally delicate constitutions or the source of your malaise lies elsewhere.

Aye, I had the hog roast with all the trimmings (that crackling - unf!), the roast beef & potatoes in giant Yorkshire pudding, and something else bought on drunken impulse. No problem. In fact I sampled as much as I could at this BOA, no problem.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:15 pm

NeglectedField wrote:the roast beef & potatoes in giant Yorkshire pudding

I had that too. It has to rank up there with Deli Kate's evening meals as one of the best things I ate over the weekend.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 pm

Anyway, for me:

The good

• The atmosphere. Last year felt very flat. It seemed to have picked up again this year.
  • The toilets. Not once over the weekend did I find one overflowing or lacking toilet paper.
  • The perries in the VIP bar. Bee Sting and Apples And Pears were both notable discoveries.
  • The post-headliner Sophie stage acts.
  • Catching up with people I haven't seen since last year.
  • Pyro. Got to love burnination.
  • The food. Not just Deli Kate, but I felt the overall offering across the arena was significantly better.

The bad

• The lineup. I've already mentioned that in some detail elsewhere.
  • The VIP bar DJs. Some were OK, but the Saturday night party atmosphere from previous years was almost completely missing (as it was last year). Needs sorting.
  • The lack of power hookup or permitted generators in the camper van field. Again.
  • The size of the Jägermeister stage. For several of the more popular acts on that stage, it was impossible to get to see them. The stage needs to be raised and the awning needs extending outwards to accomodate more people. It doesn't need much.
  • Some of the mixing issues. Mostly it wasn't bad, but several bands were screwed over by poor mixes. Not sure if this is a festival problem or if it was caused by bands using their own sound engineers. Obvious examples included Ensiferum, Onslaught, Skarthia, Metaprism and Fleshgod Apocalypse.
  • Chairs in the arena. I can understand the desire to sit down. But if you're going to do it, how about you move further away from the stage, so that those of us that want to see the band aren't falling over you?
  • The VIP bar seemed to have less variety this year. There were plenty of options listed in the booklet, but when it came to actually buying them, the majority weren't available. There's always a bit of that and some rotation over the weekend, but it seemed much worse than usual this year.

The ugly

• Nope, I've got nothing here...

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:55 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:We complained about the toilets last year. Result. Cleaner than ever.
Complained about poor security. Sorted.
Complained about binjoisting. Virtually sorted.
Complained about choice of beer. Much better variety.
Complained about youngsters serving in the bars. None this year.
Complained about noisy rides playing dance music. Sorted.
Etc.

Honestly the rides are the biggest problem here. While yeah, they don't play dance music any more, they still play the same generic "metal" songs far too loud. I remember during Ne's set only hearing the blaring music from the rides, and not the violin solos or the actual band I wanted to watch. This still really needs to be sorted properly, either move the rides further away from the Sophie stage, get them to turn off their shitty music or get rid of them entirely.

I'm also not entirely sure the toilets were cleaner. At least this year they actually had hand sanitiser in, but I'm not so sure they were particularly clean (not that I really expect it at a festival, but they weren't the nicest). Didn't seem to be too much in the way of alcohol variety either, although being able to take your own in was a decent touch.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Skippy wrote:Didn't seem to be too much in the way of alcohol variety either, although being able to take your own in was a decent touch.

Do you mean the festival site or specifically into the main arena? Was about to say, if there's some actual change of policy regarding the latter, it was unclear as security only occasionally bothered searching people.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Many of my friends were allowed in with their own drink so long as it was decanted into plastic and not in a can.

As for the toilets, there was a definite improvement overall. Only on the Sunday did those near the Sophie stage seem to get ropey. My main gripe with them was that a number of the flushes failed/were very very weak.