Rate the bands

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
SamB14
Lowly Peon

Re: Rate the bands

Postby SamB14 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:09 am

mathewxentrix88 wrote:
SamB14 wrote:Spent most time in the VIP bar but here's my ratings..

Friday
Overkill 1/10 - Are this band serious? The singer was hilarious to watch -vocals sounded comically bad too :lol:

Sabaton 9/10 Wow - only got into them properly a few weeks before so was really looking forward to it and they delivered!

Delain 7/10 - Really nice set , nothing outstanding but good melodic tunes.

Saturday

Opeth 5/10 I know they are really good musicians but the music just bores me

Within Temptation 8.5/10 Was a bit worried as to how they would go down but down the front everyone seemed to be enjoying it. Was a great performance, if they had played more from the Silent Force it would of been nice but oh well.

Sunday

Triaxis 5/10 Had heard good things about them but they just sounded like a generic heavy metal band with nothing special to offer

Sepultra 3/10 Bands like this just sound like a wall of noise with no real distinction in the songs

Ensifirum 7/10 - Quite enjoyed them, some nice folky melodies, enjoyable stuff. Not sure about the dancing girls though!

Rob Zombie 7/10 Not really a fan but the set was enjoyable, decent stageshow.

Fucking hell-you obviously weren't there for the bands and definitely know jack-shit about metal so why bother even commenting.
When a thread is titled "Rate The Ales"-come back then.

Just rating what i saw. I came mainly for WT Delain and Sabaton. Why does it matter if dont know more about metal?

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:47 am

SamB14 wrote:
mathewxentrix88 wrote:

Friday
Overkill 1/10 - Are this band serious? The singer was hilarious to watch -vocals sounded comically bad too :lol:

Sabaton 9/10 Wow - only got into them properly a few weeks before so was really looking forward to it and they delivered!

Saturday

Within Temptation 8.5/10 Was a bit worried as to how they would go down but down the front everyone seemed to be enjoying it. Was a great performance, if they had played more from the Silent Force it would of been nice but oh well.

Sunday

Triaxis 5/10 Had heard good things about them but they just sounded like a generic heavy metal band with nothing special to offer

Sepultra 3/10 Bands like this just sound like a wall of noise with no real distinction in the songs

Ensifirum 7/10 - Quite enjoyed them, some nice folky melodies, enjoyable stuff. Not sure about the dancing girls though!

Fucking hell-you obviously weren't there for the bands and definitely know jack-shit about metal so why bother even commenting.

Just rating what i saw. I came mainly for WT Delain and Sabaton. Why does it matter if dont know more about metal?

Perhaps if you hadn't ridiculed a band that's been around since 1980, describing the vocals as comically bad it would have been better, not much, but better.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

beenabadbunny
Definitely Not Nu

Postby beenabadbunny » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:52 am

I saw Overkill last time they were at BOA and again this year, and both times I thought they were perfectly fine - but my girlfriend hated them (specifically Blitz's voice). Personal taste, isn't it?

Bobby Blitz just has one of those unique voices that divide people. I don't like listening to Bob Dylan but I do like listening to Billy Corgan. Who's right?

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:11 pm

Bobby Blitz has got a great voice and Overkill are rightfully considered one of the classics of American thrash metal. It does sadden me to hear people take a pot shot at them but for sure, everyone has different tastes. For example, I love Bob Dylan but can't stand Billy Corgan :lol:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:23 pm

From his Guardian review, I wonder how re-freshed Dom Lawson was: Rob Zombie's 'indecent amount of pyro'? Sharon Den Adels' collection of hats...?
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:29 pm

SamB14 wrote:
mathewxentrix88 wrote:

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

It only "matters" if you want any comments you make about a band's performance to be given any weight.The Overkill/Sepultura jibes were a bit silly considering that your knowledge is obviously a bit limited-and the "I was in V.I.P most of the time" bit gives the impression that you weren't even at the fest for the music (apart from the handful of bands you already liked) which is a bit naff.
Don't get too upset though (and i can take things a bit too seriously on here sometimes),it's only a forum,and i'm glad you enjoyed the bands you actually came for.

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:24 pm

KevBowerHell wrote:I didn't realise the whole PA had gone off at the same time, every time. This sounds exactly like a power outage on a generator's circuitbreaker. But as I already explained - if WT were using Ableton to run all the lighting and other systems as well (which is quite normal these days) - it sounds like at this point in the song, a shedload of stuff was all being sent from Ableton to the lighting rig and other onstage systems - which were then for a splitsecond asking the genny to instantly deliver more current than it was capable of. Bang - circuitbreaker trips. It's certainly happened to us - so who knows?

Thanks for the insight into Ableton. The stage lights were still on each time the track stopped dead @ the same point so the generators were still providing power. Festival power rigs are always overspecified; it should be impossible for a performers app server to blow main circuit breakers no matter what. This should only happen if there is a serious fault eg a short cct on a power feed or damage caused by lightning strikes etc. It is highly unlikely that the problems earlier in the tour also blew cct breakers in totally different set ups as suggested.

A band such as Opeth ditched backing tape type apps that control the performers on stage; they have used a live keyboard player on stage in order to free the main band members up to perform, improvise - whatever, make mistakes even - that is what makes live performance of the same music different (enjoyable, interesting) each time.

Call me a flat earther if you like but live music should be performed by artists, realtime. In my view controlling apps can create a 'zombe' like (forgive the pun !) presentation.

Even old fashioned backing tapes were controversial but came about when solo artists could not afford live backing or a venue was too small to accomodate them.

Ableton could, if overused, give rise to a sterile bland performance as it would control the timeline even rhythm (as could backing tapes if more than an ambient soundscape). In addition, it is unclear when such apps are now being used as to what exactly we are listening to 'live' : all, less or nothing ? This is highlighted by the kind of failure experienced with WT.

Bands claim that they make little from album sales now & that festivals are where the real money is.

I am not ashamed to admit that I saw Moby headline Glasto (initially reluctantly) but he was brilliant on manic electronic keyboards etc, yet he splashed out on live orchestral musicians to back him; he controlled them ! I would have preferred WT to have engaged a number of players instead of having just 1 cellist & playing us a recording from whatever source/medium. I am begining to think that 'live' symphonic metal is doomed to oblivion if this carries on...

Considering all this, I do not wish to turn up to hear a 'live' headline act when I am not sure if I am actually listening to the off stage server streaming in part or in total !

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:56 pm

When you have a live orchestra you still are as inflexible as if you would be performing against a sequenced track.

When you have breaks (for crowd interaction or whatever) in the song you enqueue the sequences, and you have your techs understand your cues to start the next sequence. It would be similar if it was a live orchestra, the conductor would understand the cues to the next part of the song.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Jim wrote:When you have a live orchestra you still are as inflexible as if you would be performing against a sequenced track.

When you have breaks (for crowd interaction or whatever) in the song you enqueue the sequences, and you have your techs understand your cues to start the next sequence. It would be similar if it was a live orchestra, the conductor would understand the cues to the next part of the song.
In classical music even the same conductor/orchestra will give slightly or even radically different interpretations/performances of the same piece @ each live performance. Cues are not being 'mechanically' imposed on him & it is not just about timing, there are also dynamics to consider. Anyways, this thread is 'Rate the Bands' so I am done on this now ! :yes:

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:22 pm

someone else wrote:From his Guardian review, I wonder how re-freshed Dom Lawson was: Rob Zombie's 'indecent amount of pyro'? Sharon Den Adels' collection of hats...?
He either was not @ Bloodstock or spent all w/e in the VIP bar. One year I overheard 2 drunken journalists discussing how to rate a band unashamedly admitting they hadn't seen them...I can't remember which band or which publications they worked for...as I had a few beers myself...

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:32 pm

DOUGAL wrote:
someone else wrote:From his Guardian review, I wonder how re-freshed Dom Lawson was: Rob Zombie's 'indecent amount of pyro'? Sharon Den Adels' collection of hats...?
He either was not @ Bloodstock or spent all w/e in the VIP bar. One year I overheard 2 drunken journalists discussing how to rate a band unashamedly admitting they hadn't seen them...I can't remember which band or which publications they worked for...as I had a few beers myself...but I wasn't working...

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:04 pm

Saw a lot more on the smaller stages this year, and found some good one's as well as the one's I already knew :)

Reign Of Fury: 8
Loft: 7
Raging Speedhorn:6
XVII: 8
Winter Storm:6
Fire Red Empress: 8
Mighty Wraith: 9
Sabaton: 9
Trivium 7
Amethyst: 8
Savage Messiah: 8
Martyr De Mona: 9
Napalm Death: 6
Circle Spectre Haunting: 8
Morass of Molasses: 7
Burgerkill: 8
JettBlack: 9
Within Temptation: 4
Triaxis: 8
Wolf: 8
Hells Gazelles: 7
Orange Goblin: 8
Spirytus: 9
Pro Pain: 5
Sepultura: 7
Left For Red: 7
Cannibal Corpse: 6
Burden Of The Noose: 7
Black Label Society: 6
Rob Zombie: 9

patrickransom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby patrickransom » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:37 pm

Reign of Fury - 8 (bumped them up because I caught a t-shirt)
Red Rum - 7

Nuclear Assault - 7, not bad, first of many bands I saw struggling with technical problems
Oaf - 7, what can you expect really, Dom Lawson always makes me laugh, and of course "Fuck Off Seagull" was fun.
Belphagor - 8, brilliant
Enslaved - 8, again great, shame they didn't play The Watcher though
Overkill - 8, great fun
Sabaton - 10, band of the day by a mile
Trivium - 7, average

Xerath - 7, was enjoying them until the technical problems forced them to stop
1349 - 8, looked a bit odd in bright sunlight though
Korpiklaani - 6, Vodka was good but the rest was underwhelming
Napalm Death - 9, excellent show
Dark Angel - 6, watched a bit of them, wasn't amazed
Death DTA - 9, great show, whoever it was pretending to be Chuck did a damn good job
Opeth - 8, great atmosphere as the sun was finally setting
Within Temptation - 3, watched the first 3 songs, couldn't put up with any more
Fleshgod Apocalypse - 10, absolutely killed it

Agalloch - 4, pretty tedious
Orange Goblin - 9, great fun, the band looked so happy to be there as well
Pro-Pain - 3, awful
Sepultura - 9, excellent
Saille - 8, very interesting
Cannibal Corpse - 9, was everything I expected it to be and more
Black Label Society - 4, boring as hell and should be renamed "The Zakk Wylde Show"
Rob Zombie - 8, a lot better than I thought it would be, shame about the lack of graphics and pyro though.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm

DOUGAL wrote:
He either was not @ Bloodstock or spent all w/e in the VIP bar. One year I overheard 2 drunken journalists discussing how to rate a band unashamedly admitting they hadn't seen them...I can't remember which band or which publications they worked for...as I had a few beers myself...

Not unusual - there a story where Tony Iommi punched someone from Melody Maker after being flown out to a show in Europe and wrote a scathing review, presumably from a bar as the gig was cancelled but the 'review' was printed.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Interesting to see how much the Ice Queen screw up effected people's enjoyment of WT as a whole, it's your own opinion but I didn't see it as such a huge deal (and yes i've had bands forced to skip my favorite song before too)