2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
treefriend
Consort of the Beast

Re: 2015 - The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

Postby treefriend » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:35 pm

The Good:
Toilets. Meeting up with friends. Festival atmosphere. Real ales in VIP. Veggie food choices and quality. Mr Teas double shot coffee. Range of stalls. People dressed up or in costumes. No rain. Women who aren't a size zero wearing clothes that made themselves feel good.

The Bad:
Sound quality, get Wigwam back.Not enough staff in VIP bar. Not enough seating & shade in VIP & main arena.

The Ugly:
The smell when the portaloos were emptied.

PS. All the keyboard warriors posting nasty comments about women can go fuck themselves as it's highly doubtful anyone else has or ever will. Get a life!
I've got wood.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:47 pm

Been coming since 2010 and this was one of the best iv had. Fucking amazing weekend and im hating being back in the real world.

Good
The bands, I saw so many thing year including more unknowns that normal and they were almost all awesome. Come highlights: Korpiklaani, Orange Goblin, Ensiferum, Nuclear Assault, Overkill, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Death, Belphagor.

Food was great from the return of the Dorset Smokery which I worship like some bacon dispensing god to the insane turkey legs from the texas place and uncle gioas is always good.

All the people I met, every year at Bloodstock I pick up new friends and this year was excellent for this with a nice little community of drunken metal heads forming in our area of Midgard :D

Beer selection was better than normal and even though I love my Hobgoblin it was nice to have a choice

The weather was great especially give the last few weeks of it being shit. Could have done with being a tad cooler but im not gonna complain about blue skies and sun all weekend

Security were even more chilled than. I didnt get patted down once and they didnt get pissy this year when me and some mates were running around naked on Sunday night :P

Toilets were a big improvement over last year and seem to be back to previous form

Bad
The queue on Thursday. I know there is gonna be a wait but I dont think its ever taken me 1.5 - 2 hours before

The bar segregation, stupid system that just caused congestion

To many chairs near the main stage. Fine with people sitting but keep it to the back please

Ugly

Me in general and the state I was in. Im probably the fat really hairy topless guy some of you have mentioned earlier in the thread :P

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:57 pm

Some people almost looked like they could get corn rows with their body hair. Now that I'd pay to see.

Rufus Obscurus
Powermetal Child

Postby Rufus Obscurus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:39 pm

The Good
- The fact that there was a selection of ales in the Bloodstock bar;
- Sabaton, Arnocorps, Trivium [I suspect I am going to get drummed out of the forum for that], Armoured Saint;
- The portaloos were better maintained this year;
- The range of food in the arena seemed pretty good;
- Putting a bar in the New Blood stage was a good idea;
- The couple of bands on the New Blood stage I managed to check out were pretty promising; caught quite a lot of Blackened Ritual (due to getting bored during Overkill) and rather liked 'em;

The Bad
- Having to go home on Saturday because of work;
- Raging Speedhorn;
- The ales that actually made up the range on offer in the Bloockstock Arms bar. I went with a couple of mates; we're all fairly real-aley, and we were rather excited by the prospect of there being a choice. But, after our first pints on Thursday, we agreed they were all pretty ropey and thereafter we reverted to Hobgoblin;
- Service in Bloodstock Arms bar was pretty frustrating, with all the ale clustered at one end;
- While the portaloos were good, there seemed to be less urinal space than in previous years, and they weren't emptied frequently enough [during the fairly short time I was there].
- Showers. I've said this before, but I'll repeat it. Seven cubicles is too few.

The Ugly
- Cocks and balls on display. I know it's a metal festival and we all like to cut loose, but exercising a bit of self-control on the old wedding tackle while in the arena is hardly the grossest imposition now, is it chaps?

DOUGAL
Powermetal Child

Postby DOUGAL » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:21 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
Bizza wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:I have to say though, the food overall was pretty good all round. I was tempted by those Gallop's Farm places, but I did wonder if they were "gourmet" places in disguise. But everywhere I ate was lovely, no regrets. Although I did leave the burrito place until the sunday night. :lol:

Yes, those Gallops Farm vans are Gourment slop vans with a new paint job. AVOID.

I had a feeling! Glad I avoided it now.
I must admit I suspected as much. But I did have one of their JB marinated brisket rolls & for £6 it was tasty & filling. This was £2 cheaper than the one near the noodles stall. So perhaps they have learnt lessons....

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:43 pm

The ingredients have always pretty decent in the last few years, it's just the way the people doing the cooking and serving have treated them. Seems like they're sorting things out, which is good.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:32 pm

On the basis of my first BOA:
The Good:
Toilets were a lot better than expected.
Meeting up with new friends at the Loners and Newbies group.
Deli Kate - their excellent paninis saved my life over the weekend!
Festival atmosphere was brilliant.
No rain all weekend!
Overkill and Nuclear Assault exceeding my already high expectations

The Bad:
Not enough seating & shade in arena.
The queue to get in on Thursday, not sure if that was normal but almost 1.5 hours was brutal in the sun.
Bus journey home to Glasgow took 9 hours as we seemed to stop everywhere in England on road home. Bus down was direct and took 6 hours.

The Ugly:
The smell when the portaloos were emptied.
People running around with gazoos at really early hours every night/morning. I'm no killjoy but it got way past annoying really quickly and I need some sleep to function.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:43 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:The queue to get in on Thursday, not sure if that was normal but almost 1.5 hours was brutal in the sun.

No, that was seriously abnormal. I've never seen it like that, it usually takes 20 minutes max to get in. The queue normally gets to those portaloos at the side if it's doing well, so lord knows what happened.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:44 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:The queue to get in on Thursday, not sure if that was normal but almost 1.5 hours was brutal in the sun.

No, that was seriously abnormal. I've never seen it like that, it usually takes 20 minutes max to get in. The queue normally gets to those portaloos at the side if it's doing well, so lord knows what happened.

My hazy memory is telling me 2009 would like a moment to laugh patronisingly and mumble the likes of "how cute"
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:05 pm

Noodle wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:

My hazy memory is telling me 2009 would like a moment to laugh patronisingly and mumble the likes of "how cute"

2009...Blazing sun, and I believe the gates didn't open till about 2:30 for some reason? When everyone arrived at 11? I think that was worse than this year, although once the gates opened I believe the queue was fairly quick, but there were a lot less people!

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:21 am

Ah man - that 2009 queue. 3 bloody hours I was sat in that. Got both sunburnt and pissed by the time I had my wristband.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:58 am

Noodle wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:

2010 was my first year, so I missed that thankfully! From what you guys are saying it sounds awful.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:48 pm

2009 was the year the local council locked my car in one of their carparks the night before Bloodstock and by the time I'd got it sorted, I'd basically missed most of the first day. Not the best start to a festival I've ever had...
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Alan Shepherd
BOA Landlord

Postby Alan Shepherd » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:35 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:GOOD

All the people who I bumped into. Not physically of course. :P

Toilets. And also people cleaning up in general.

The general atmosphere was a lot less confrontational than recent years. The acting like a twat count was certainly down.

Bar staff in the tents.

Security/stage crew.

Well behaved kids. Especially ones with ear protectors.

No nudity seen.

BAD

Disorganisation in the Bloodstock Arms on Thursday. No labels on the barrels so was just given "ale" of some description. You had to order lager from the other part so had to queue twice for a mixed order.

Disorganisation in the Bloodstock Arms on Friday morning. No one serving anything whilst pouring dozens of pints of Carling. Massive queue for the real ale after waiting for twenty minutes wanting something else. Seemed to sort itself out later though. So kudos for that.

Hello, As the man in charge of Booze !!!!, take it fully on board re the Bloodstock Arms Thursday, the addition of a larger range of ales took us a bit by surprise so we had to reallocate resource,got it sorted by next day, will be better prepared for next year, thanks for feedback.

The weather.

Some kids without ear protection.

Gobshites deciding to park themselves directly in the entrance to the tents. Especially by the wheelchair access part to the Sophie tent. Fucking move you twats, there's virtually an empty tent in there.

Far too many chairs.

UGLY

Man in dresses. Especially the one in a wedding dress.

Beer bellies.

Couple having noisy sex in Valhalla. No one really wants to hear that thanks. :P