Pickpockets

August 6-9, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Noodle
I am the Law!

Re: Pickpockets

Postby Noodle » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:54 pm

Whilst it's a bit late to lecture folks about taking a cheap brick phone to festivals, like the one I found on the floor last year, rather than your smartphone with pictures you didn't copy and store elsewhere if you insist on taking it anyway (both of which I'm guilty of not doing myself...), if it wasn't handed in to Bloodstock lost property there's facebook you can try.

Bloodstock's official page may be helpful or give "Spotted Bloodstock" a message and he/she will post it up for their relatively small community
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:03 pm

All very well saying take a cheap phone, instead of smartphones, but most smartphones have stupid small sim cards, so it's not just a cheap phone, it's a new number and a pain to sync contacts etc, so useless if you want to actually use it. I'd rather just make sure it's insured.

As for backups, with you there. Can't believe the number of people on facebook who say 'lost my phone, need numbers' or some shit. I thought it did it by default, but my contact list is automatically synced with the cloud, every photo I take on my phone is automatically synced with the cloud...hell all my app settings automatically sync with the cloud! People really need to pay attention and learn how to use their phones, it ain't rocket science!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:30 pm

Sort of. I'll say that automatically syncing everything with the cloud is not always a good idea. Indeed, the defaults for Android (and IIRC iOS) are mind numbingly stupid. But hey, if you want to trust companies with a poor track record with your private data, that's up to you.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Cerpin_Taxt
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Cerpin_Taxt » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:15 pm

angel_of_death wrote:All very well saying take a cheap phone, instead of smartphones, but most smartphones have stupid small sim cards, so it's not just a cheap phone, it's a new number and a pain to sync contacts etc, so useless if you want to actually use it. I'd rather just make sure it's insured.

You can get a Micro SIM to standard SIM converter for free from most phone shops, just ask.

You don't need a new SIM at all, just use the converter. Also, if the phone is then lost or stolen, you can get your number transferred over to a new SIM very easily.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:40 pm

Tet wrote:Sort of. I'll say that automatically syncing everything with the cloud is not always a good idea. Indeed, the defaults for Android (and IIRC iOS) are mind numbingly stupid. But hey, if you want to trust companies with a poor track record with your private data, that's up to you.

Pretty much this, I'd rather get one of those fiddly micro SIM to full SIM converters than trust any "cloud" with such information.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:18 am

NeglectedField wrote:I've heard stories over the years, but next to none this year. Mate lost his car keys on the Thursday, someone handed them in to Lost Property (then again, without knowing what car it is, no point in nicking them).

That actually happened a couple of years ago didnt it? Woman got her car stolen from the VIP car park