Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:17 pm

Someone else in a Facebook group I frequent has just had a kid and called in Pixie Violet Boom. WHY? THAT'S SUCH A TERRIBLE NAME.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:54 pm

:lol:

Bonus points to them if it's a boy.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:28 pm

Pixie is going to have a violent time at school... then one day, BOOM!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:54 am

Kent. On a Friday. Get to choose to get snagged at Heathrow or the Dart crossing. I love a choice of which traffic jam I wish to particapate in.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:31 am

Can anyone help me with some car insurance related grief?

So I contacted my insurer to change my address, and occupation from student living in horsham to sound tech living in twickenham.
They come back to me and say 'Making these changes to your policy will give you an additional premium to pay of £157.21. There is also a £25 change of address fee.'

An extra £182 to pay seems totally fucked for what it is. My car sits on a private driveway all day and i rarely drive it. So, what I'm wondering is, do you think it's worth cancelling my policy altogether and going with a new insurer? (can you even do that?)

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:49 am

Nantha wrote:Can anyone help me with some car insurance related grief?

So I contacted my insurer to change my address, and occupation from student living in horsham to sound tech living in twickenham.
They come back to me and say 'Making these changes to your policy will give you an additional premium to pay of £157.21. There is also a £25 change of address fee.'

An extra £182 to pay seems totally fucked for what it is. My car sits on a private driveway all day and i rarely drive it. So, what I'm wondering is, do you think it's worth cancelling my policy altogether and going with a new insurer? (can you even do that?)

a) Your job title affects your premium. Daft as it is, it's true. And putting the wrong industry down can be classed as fraud and invalidate your policy unfortunately.

b) You can cancel your policy at any time yes, but they're entitled to charge a fee for it, though some will give you a refund - check the T&C's for your policy.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:40 pm

Yeah they said they'd charge £80 for me to cancel my policy.
Is there anyone in the world who fucks you chronically as much as insurance companies? Pay all your life for something you don't need and then as soon as you do need it, they find a way to deny you it, or ramp up your premium so much you can't afford it anymore.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:20 pm

Nantha wrote:Is there anyone in the world who fucks you chronically as much as insurance companies? Pay all your life for something you don't need and then as soon as you do need it, they find a way to deny you it, or ramp up your premium so much you can't afford it anymore.

Pretty much, yes. Buying insurance is gambling. It's placing a bet with negative expectation. You expect to lose.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:24 pm

Tet wrote:Pretty much, yes. Buying insurance is gambling. It's placing a bet with negative expectation. You expect to lose.

I was gonna say something similar, you're placing a bet that you will need to claim. If your chances of winning are higher they want you to place a higher stake.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:00 pm

My insurance is expensive because after a full days worth of driving ill be too tired to drive my car home from work.

My car insurance does not include using my car to commute to and from work. Great eh? I don't feel they have the right to know what I do as a job personally.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Turbo wrote: I don't feel they have the right to know what I do as a job personally.

If you set your cover to "Business, commuting and Leisure" then I can understand them wanting to know your job.

Otherwise yeah. It's all bollocks anyway. Go to any comparison site and your quotes will pretty much be random. Last time round I had quotes from £300 up to £1500.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Mate has gone to Murica and I am super jel. I really want to go there.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:51 pm

I can see me being in bed within an hour. On a Saturday. The fuck is this? I am not old enough for that shit I am just a boy.

Fetch me my slippers.

See if I can get through another Red Dwarf without crashing.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:25 pm

Turbo wrote:Mate has gone to Murica and I am super jel. I really want to go there.

Tell me about it.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:01 pm

Jim wrote:
Turbo wrote: I don't feel they have the right to know what I do as a job personally.

If you set your cover to "Business, commuting and Leisure" then I can understand them wanting to know your job.

Otherwise yeah. It's all bollocks anyway. Go to any comparison site and your quotes will pretty much be random. Last time round I had quotes from £300 up to £1500.

I'm going to have all this fun soon. This did knock a fair bit off my premium though, seeing what jobs are similar: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insura ... ob-picker/