movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Excision

A teenager with personality issues deals with being in high school and her desire to be a surgeon. And then it kicks off harder and harder.

8/10

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Darkweasel wrote:TREMORS 5 - BLOODLINES

The Graboids are back, but this time, and with no discernible explanation other than "evolution"

Typical Tremors sequel then?
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:40 am

Deathgasm

Pretty much everything Gary said.

Super fun, super gory, super metal

8/10

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:27 pm

Can I recommend The Martian to people? Seen it twice in the cinema now and while it won't win best film awards Ridley Scott has done an excellent job of transferring a very good book to the screen. Matt Damon is really good as Mark Watney and does bring a lot of the necessary humour to the screen. It's sci-fi with a laugh, a decent sound track provided by David Bowie and ABBA and just done rather well.

On a side note, I want NASA to make my clothes now.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 pm

[list=][/list]
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:This looks fucking mega

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1ozLPg7RGR0&feature=youtu.be

I didn't care for it at all.
It's meant to look like an '80s post-apocalypse video, but it just comes over as a modern film with no budget. It's a film where you feel there should be roll and fuzz on the film reel, but instead it's been filmed in digital HD and looks way too pristine.

Apart from the opening song, the music is all wrong and doesn't suit it at all. You can tell which parts were filmed in Canada and which parts were done in New Zealand, giving the whole thing a really disjointed feeling, and Michael Ironside looks fat an old these days, having to openly concentrate on getting his lines out properly. The jokes fall flat and the acting isn't good enough to be taken seriously or even bad enough to be an homage to those spaghetti apocalypse films like Endgame and Bronx Warriors.
Last edited by Darkweasel on Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:17 pm

thehairyone wrote:Can I recommend The Martian to people? Seen it twice in the cinema now and while it won't win best film awards Ridley Scott has done an excellent job of transferring a very good book to the screen. Matt Damon is really good as Mark Watney and does bring a lot of the necessary humour to the screen. It's sci-fi with a laugh, a decent sound track provided by David Bowie and ABBA and just done rather well.

On a side note, I want NASA to make my clothes now.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:23 pm

THE VISIT

So this is it then. After taking Hollywood by storm with The Sixth Sense in 1999, M. Night *insert comedy misspelling here* is now reduced to directing badly acted, tedious shakycam nonsense with annoying children and barely any sense of its own idiocy. The man who became known as the Master of the Twist is now barely capable of keeping you interested enough to even bother trying to work out what magical and unforeseen shock the finale has in store for you. Although in the case of The Visit, if you haven't figured it out by the half hour mark then you don't deserve to be watching films.

A fifteen year old girl and her younger brother take two of those amazing and only-found-in-the-movies video cameras which conveniently film everything in glorious widescreen and cinema quality high definition to their grandparents secluded farmhouse for a week. Apart from some awkward and intrusive rapping from the brother, everything goes swimmingly apart from Nana going a little bit bonkers after 9:30pm. Suffering from a condition known as "Sundowning", the old dear takes to scampering about the house on all fours, removing all her clothes and banging on walls. Grandad "Pop Pop" tells the kids it's probably for the best that they don't come out of their rooms at night, but of course, these are typically precocious little bastards who want to film everything, so out they come and soon wish they hadn't.

The Visit seems to take an age to get going, and when it finally does it's all a bit silly. Sure, some of it's played for laughs, but all that really does is make the whole thing appear more uneven. There are actually a handful of genuinely creepy moments (oven cleaning and an under-the-house game of hide and seek being the two best examples), but they're all too fleeting and let down by a disappointingly obvious conclusion.

YAHTZEE!!
3/10

CARTEL LAND

Opening with a group of Mexicans cooking meth in the woods at night (apparently taught by an older man and his son, very similar to what happens in Breaking Bad), this feature length documentary shifts its focus towards two sets of vigilantes either side of the US/Mexico border. On the US side, the Arizona Border Recon try and keep the cartels from human trafficking and sending drugs across the border, while in Mexico, the Autodefensas, led by a well respected doctor, travel from township to township trying to unite people against the cartels.

The documentary crew find themselves in almost constant danger, and even though you know many precautions were taken to ensure their safety, you can't legislate for gunfights which suddenly erupt from nowhere, or the realisation that they're very probably being tracked by snipers while following behind patrols.
Not a documentary for the faint hearted, we see freshly murdered people lying in the street with blood still leaking from head wounds, a torture room filled with the sounds of men screaming while others wait patiently in line to be tortured for information. We see a father being separated from his wife and daughter, the pair screaming in desperation at the men bundling him into the back of a car with the purpose of interrogating him at gunpoint, and threatening to commit suicide if they take him away. The funeral of 15 people (men, women, boys, girls, and a three month old baby) murdered by one cartel for not producing their payment on time is a horrible sight. There are numerous shots of severed heads left as messages, and one dead-eyed woman recounts the story of how her husband was blow-torched and mutilated in front of her.

All of this is bad enough, but what happens to the Autodefensas in the final twenty minutes or so is equally as shocking, albeit in a completely different way.
One of the best, or at least one of the most horrifying documentaries I've seen since watching Nanking a few years ago.

8.5/10

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Just saw Macbeth
Christ.
Outstanding. Fassbender is on point like always
The cinematography is incredible
The soundtrack is perfect
Best first 10minutes of probably any film i've seen

Only let downs I feel were there wasn't enough fighting, the end seeemed like it was gonna be an epic battle but wasn't, and it was over quicker than I expected. Could've sat for at least another hour. Highly enjoyable.
9/10

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:54 pm

Jobdone wrote:Deathgasm

Pretty much everything Gary said.

Super fun, super gory, super metal

8/10

Saw this yesterday at Mayhem. Very good film. Highly recommended. I also really enjoyed Howl, Nina Forever, Parasyte: Part 1, He Never Died (some very good acting from Henry Rollins, hoping rumours of further movies or a mini-series featuring "Jack" are true) and The Witch (Ralph Ineson - "Finchy" from The Office - is very good indeed in this).
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:27 am

I may go and watch this later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl092whRLlI
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:38 pm

I am going to the cinema to watch Spectre tomorrow. I hope it's good. :yes:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:22 am

Society

Further proving the point that you never know what you're gonna get with 80s horrors, Society begins as a tale of a man feeling out of place in his hometown and suffering from supposed paranoia, and eventually develops into a very odd orgy and general craziness.

7.5/10

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:54 am

Watched Alien vs Predator hoping I was remebering it worse than it was.

Nope.

Back when I was happy to watch anything, it was the one movie that made me realise I may have standards and it hasn't changed much since.

I still can't believe their idea for fight scenes were "Okay, so we'll have entirely black aliens, vs brown and black coloured predators, against a black background, with terrible lighting and awful cuts. Nailed it"

On the other hand, the sound effects are hilarious. It might've been trying to be a comedy the whole time.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:08 am

Jobdone wrote:Society

Further proving the point that you never know what you're gonna get with 80s horrors, Society begins as a tale of a man feeling out of place in his hometown and suffering from supposed paranoia, and eventually develops into a very odd orgy and general craziness.

7.5/10

I haven't seen this since it first came out, remember it being absolutely bonkers! Might rewatch it, see how it holds up.

Saw Spectre last night, quite enjoyed it. Bit slow in places and seemed understated for a Bond movie (bearing in mind, when I think of Bond I think of Roger Moore!) but it was entertaining enough.