movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Jobdone » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:59 pm

So did you watch any movies recently Gary?

Started watching Class of 1999. I'm less than 10 minutes in and it's already the best thing ever.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Just a couple.

Tried watching Marked for Death with Steven Seagal last night but it was so utterly awful in every respect that I had to jack it in after 40 minutes.

Steven Seagal is hideous.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:23 am

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/tom-c ... 201647889/

Tom Cruise in The Mummy reboot talks.

I don't normally grumble about reboots, but this one just has NO written all over it. Brendan Fraser was so utterly perfect in those roles, and I still rank the first film as one of the most entertaining and re-watchable films of all time.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 am

Coherence

I really enjoyed this small scale sci-fi. I don't really want to get into the plot too much, but it revolves around eight friends meeting for dinner during the passing of a comet. Stuff happens after that *shifty eyes*. It is a good (4ish out of 5) film, elevated when you realise some of the finer details of it's production...

Apparently there was no script - dialogue was mostly ad-libbed by the actors. They were given a sheet of paper with a back story, plus some bullet points regarding what they needed to convey in the scene. The actors were not told what the other actors got as prep either, nor were told what events (external to their crib sheet) would occur. It was also filmed over a very short space of time, with virtually no crew at all.

The only actor I recognised was Nicholas Brendan (Xander from Buffy). The actors were all just friends of the writer/director, who agreed to turn up to his house to make a film as a laugh/favour to him with no foreknowledge of what they were getting into.

It's on Netflix, and is only 90 mins. :)

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:44 pm

I watched Anchorman 2 expecting nothing. I really enjoyed it and the Liam Neeson cameo caught me out. Even when all of the cameos were coming thick and fast. :D

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I feel like I've not posted for ages.
I've basically just been watching (and ranking) Fritz Lang films, and looking more into Weimar era films.

edit: How long has the forum done that weird preview thing?
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:16 pm

I saw Interstellar.

Long film. Definitely worth the watch, top 250 according to IMDB seems fair but I didn't go away from it thinking it's one of the best films ever. Maybe I'd think that if I'd gone into it with no expectation.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This felt far more like a Star Wars film than the prequels, lots of humour, fun characters, old and new and a more grounded universe, with less CGI, more physical effects and locations. I had a lot of fun with it and a smile on my face throughout. That said, I do have some niggles but I'm not sure at what point it becomes acceptable to discuss spoilers with this one!

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:18 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:Tom Cruise in The Mummy reboot talks.

I don't normally grumble about reboots, but this one just has NO written all over it. Brendan Fraser was so utterly perfect in those roles, and I still rank the first film as one of the most entertaining and re-watchable films of all time.

This reboot will be closer to the original, Universal is looking to reboot all the classic monster movies. Only problem is they're going to make them shitty action films like Van Helsing to try and compete with Marvel. :hurl:
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:02 pm

Soze wrote:Star Wars: The Force Awakens. This felt far more like a Star Wars film than the prequels, lots of humour, fun characters, old and new and a more grounded universe, with less CGI, more physical effects and locations. I had a lot of fun with it and a smile on my face throughout. That said, I do have some niggles but I'm not sure at what point it becomes acceptable to discuss spoilers with this one!

Without wishing to spoiler I can agree with almost everything here. I don't have any faults with it, but I'm not fussy. It's easily my film of the year, and probably in the top 2 Star Wars films for me.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:26 pm

thehairyone wrote:Without wishing to spoiler I can agree with almost everything here. I don't have any faults with it, but I'm not fussy. It's easily my film of the year, and probably in the top 2 Star Wars films for me.

Not sure about film of the year, lots of stuff I like the look of I haven't seen yet. In terms of UK release dates it'd still be Whiplash for me, bloody loved that. But I probably won't be able to make an informed decision until about April when I've caught up with everything!!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Yes star wars was good, with great atmosphere but too much convenient plot progression. I'll leave it there. Jj's star trek is a better Sci Fi film in my opinion.
I see the bad moon arising.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:55 pm

On the subject of universal monsters, I am working my way through the old blu rays. Wasn't keen on the old dracula but frankenstein is awesome. Such atmosphere. That and hammers curse of frankenstein are great.
I see the bad moon arising.

Smerphy
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Smerphy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:59 pm

^ Try the Spanish version of Dracula. It's the same sets and script, but in Spanish with new actors and it's a lot less slow.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:16 pm

Ghost wrote:Yes star wars was good, with great atmosphere but too much convenient plot progression. I'll leave it there. Jj's star trek is a better Sci Fi film in my opinion.

I don't know, I enjoyed the first Trek movie (not so much the second) but I've never felt the need to re-visit it. I'm already considering going back to the cinema for Star Wars and will definitely buy the blu-ray. Then again, I've always been more drawn to the Star Wars universe than the Trek one, the former played such a significant part in my childhood. To be honest I always preferred Blake's 7, Doctor Who and even Lost in Space to Trek!

Regarding those old Universal horror movies, Frankenstein is a classic. Always amused me that it was cut until about 1960 odd, the scene where he throws the child into the lake considered beyond the pale. Dracula and Wolf Man are heavy going nowadays though.