Trivial Grumblings

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Trivial Grumblings

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:06 am

She's from a council estate?

Just say that you once went to Noctorum/Kirkby/Speke/Stockbridge Village/"instert dodgy housing estate here" and she'll shit herself. :lol:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Shouldn't knock living "near" London because of the amount of shows, but coming back takes ~2 hours and three tubes, a train, a bus and a 20 minute walk, and most of the time coming back on my own takes the piss when it's only 30 miles. Always ruined a good post-gig vibe by the time I get in. They never seem to run the train straight to Burnham anymore and the replacement bus is never on time. A cab home from Slough station costs more than the trip to London if I go that route.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Takes less than that and I have to travel 3x that mileage home. Well up until someone at Crosscountry had a brain wave to remove only Saturdays last two trains home, any other day the 22:30 and the 23:30 exists. Now for a Saturday gig it is either stop the night in a hostel or the 7 hour journey home of which 5 of them are sleeping on the platforms of Milton Keynes Central. No thanks cross cuntry ill just do less gigs and spend less money with you.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 pm

Ah I don't miss the days of having to leave a gig before the end and peg it for the tube then sit on a train for an hour and still have to get a taxi at the end of it.

My TG is that I was offered Noel Gallagher tour next month but Im pretty sure I ballsed up my chances by being honest and saying that I wasn't that comfortable with managing 40 ways of radio. Rather not get the job than get it and fuck it up like :(

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:35 pm

Nantha wrote:Ah I don't miss the days of having to leave a gig before the end and peg it for the tube then sit on a train for an hour and still have to get a taxi at the end of it

I was quite fortunate in Farnborough in that regard. Last train was 01.05 and folks' house is less than 10 mins walk from the station.

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:41 am

Yeah, it took me no longer when I lived down in Canterbury, but then that would be a high speed service I guess - and only one tube from most venues to St Pancras.

The saving grace is most nights the last train from Paddington is at least as late as 23:49, only missed the last one thrice - and with my 16-25 railcard it only costs £9 for a return with a travelcard. Apparently they're doing works at night now which is why Burnham isn't open, in preparation for Crosstrail. Well they had one week on/one off since the 90s according to my folks, which meant half the time you could get back a bit easier, and Crosstrail isn't going to be for years. 35 minutes from Tottenham Court to Burnham allegedly, but I don't expect them to stop at the smaller stations on crosstrail. There's a ton of shows and all on weekdays this month, making me think I just can't be bothered - especially that week where I start at 8am, with Misthyrming, Dirkschneider and Incantation three days on the trot.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:43 am

Don't see the big deal with that Crossrail. Wasn't worth closing our beloved Astoria for it, that's for sure.

TG: It's a lovely day out, a pleasant 12 degrees. Blue sky, fluffy clouds. Wish I could say I enjoy it. Struggling to enjoy anything right now.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:47 am

jwh20 wrote:Yeah, it took me no longer when I lived down in Canterbury

Heh. Many years ago a few of us had gone up to watch Motörhead at Hammersmith. We left the gig as soon as the last song had played, but didn't get to Victoria until after the last train to Kent had left. We pegged it round to the coach station, and got there just in time to see the last coach pulling out of the station. Bollocks. Spent the night freezing on the platform (naturally it was in the middle of winter and only a degree or two above freezing) waiting for the first train home to Canterbury East the following morning. Good times. Or something.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:47 am

NeglectedField wrote:Don't see the big deal with that Crossrail. Wasn't worth closing our beloved Astoria for it, that's for sure.

100% agreed.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:05 pm

Tet wrote:
NeglectedField wrote:Don't see the big deal with that Crossrail. Wasn't worth closing our beloved Astoria for it, that's for sure.

100% agreed.

Ah I use to work for Crossrail, assisted in the project management of the Astoria being bashed down :)

Hated the venue anyway, the sound was always awful there. Always liked the Mean Fiddler though.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:14 pm

Mean Fiddler was where I saw Bodom for the first time and it was my first gig outside Glasgow. Always holds a special place in my heart for that.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:43 pm

From what I can gather, Crossrail is mostly beneficial to people coming into London from outside as you can go to Reading and then get straight to certain useful areas of London without the ballache of changing and getting the tube/other transport.

TG: I'm home before 6 so the bloody children are still at the nursery next to my flat and they won't stop screaming.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Crossrail is massively beneficial as commuter trains are ridiculously overpacked and make working in London a nightmare for anyone who lives in areas outside the city. Of far more benefit than a grotty cavenous gig venue anyway.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:13 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:TG: I'm home before 6 so the bloody children are still at the nursery next to my flat and they won't stop screaming.

Couldn't cope with that. It's annoying enough being in the same neighbourhood as a school.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Hated the venue anyway, the sound was always awful there. Always liked the Mean Fiddler though.

That's just blatantly not true. Some gigs had bad sound there, true. But most were pretty good. And I say that from having seen over 50 gigs there. Personally I loved the place.